Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: A review of the new Ford F150
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 12-23-2014 at 08:27 AM
A review of the new Ford F150

I do not see a platinum in my future but maybe a F150. Fully loaded trucks today tend not to last as long. A long way from My first 100 with a six in it.

http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-gallery/2015-ford-f-150-35...

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-23-2014 at 10:02 AM

Consider a Raptor, which is an F-150 with Baja in mind. Just get the after-market spindles as your first mod.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2014 at 11:05 AM

It's hard to say if todays trucks will last a long time since one would have to buy one to see. I certainly think the engines of all makes are better than before. I would be concerned about the electronic stuff like GPS, fancy radios, radar for side lanes and front and rear collision avoidance and stuff like that. I keep my vehicles for a long time. Both my trucks are going on 11 years. Well my Tacoma is a 2004 I purchased in 2010. The wifes Acura is a 1998 and still going strong, but it only has 80,000 miles on it.

There was an article in the paper recently that said kids today need newer vehicles because they are safer and since kids have the most accidents they sould be driving newer and bigger cars. I guess the author never considered the cost side.

I do agree the Ford F100 with the straight six was a great truck, my brother had a 1966 stick shift and later traded it in for a 1989 F250. I hauled 3200 lbs of concrete blocks from Mission Valley to Lemon Grove in the F100 twice in 1967.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2014 at 11:37 AM

If anyone is interested in test driving one, we went truck shopping in Carson City a couple of weeks ago and the Ford Dealer did not have the 2015 f-150s in yet. He said they had been delayed again.

Don't know if that is the case for all the dealers --- he said they were not available anywhere yet.

Made our decision easier as that eliminated that choice. :biggrin:

But we have not found any negative reviews of the new 150 and we read LOTS of reviews.

[Edited on 12-23-2014 by DianaT]
MMc
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2014 at 01:11 PM

I will not be buying anything for a couple of years, I just thought a review of the new f-150 would be of interest. At $60,000.00 it is a bit steep.
The new Dodge diesel 1/2 ton is also of interest.
Interesting, they did not include the Titan Or the Tundra as comparable trucks.
Here is a look at the other Diesels coming down the road.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1086531_diesel-pickup-tr...

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2014 at 08:13 PM

Dk-
The vast majority of raptor buyers will never need to think about aftermarket spindles.....
A very durable pickup when driven within its design limitations- anything can be broken.
KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2014 at 08:48 PM

Did I hear correctly that the new f150 body is all aluminum? If so how long before electroysis sets in and ruins the paint job.. At $2 lb. for Al , the material price comes out to what for the body , $525 ? ,where do they justify a 60K price tag ? Just buy an old classic , make it reliable and if no one t-bones you it will appreciate in value.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-23-2014 at 08:59 PM

Sound advice .. Kacey3

The hardest sell on that one ... the wife .. :lol::lol:

Ditto's on the electronics TW

KISS

[Edited on 12-24-2014 by wessongroup]

must say, it must be a nice "ride" ... just saying

[Edited on 12-24-2014 by wessongroup]

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2014 at 09:13 PM

The high price is for the top of the line Platinum model... XL or XLT much more affordable....how much electrolysis is going to happen without any conductor like saltwater??? just wondering
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2014 at 09:22 PM

The Raptor is no more, 2014 was the end. I have a Platinum, but this is the new Aluminum version for 2015. 700 lbs less than last year.

However, there is a company here is Fenix. AZ that is making a kit to make a Ford F150 into a Raptor style kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLbMRFfQ3os

Check it out

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 12-24-2014 at 06:31 AM

WHY? Would anyone buy a truck, car washing machine or anything else that immediately needed mods to make it reliable? DK is way into the koolaid again...

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2014 at 07:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by KaceyJ  
Did I hear correctly that the new f150 body is all aluminum? If so how long before electroysis sets in and ruins the paint job.. At $2 lb. for Al , the material price comes out to what for the body , $525 ? ,where do they justify a 60K price tag ? Just buy an old classic , make it reliable and if no one t-bones you it will appreciate in value.

Aluminum bodies in trucks/suvs is nothing new. Land Rover has used it for decades with no corrosion issues. 18 wheeler bodies have been built with aluminum for over 50 years as well.

[Edited on 12-24-2014 by tripledigitken]
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2014 at 07:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
WHY? Would anyone buy a truck, car washing machine or anything else that immediately needed mods to make it reliable? DK is way into the koolaid again...

Be careful, you are treading on thin ice. You can not question D Kia without possibly being censored. Besides, it isn't KoolAid, he things certain beaches are islands?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2014 at 07:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tripledigitken  

Aluminum bodies in trucks/suvs is nothing new. Land Rover has used it for decades with no corrosion issues. 18 wheeler bodies have been built with aluminum for over 50 years as well.

I was a GM guy for my adult life. every truck I owned were GM mfg. I decided when it was time to buy a new truck a few years ago I was giving up on GM (Government Motors)

I bought the 3.7L EcoBoost, against my better judgement. Let's face facts every 6 cylinder motor that we had before came in some little Japanese putt putt pickup truck. I drove both the V8 and the dual turbo charged EcoBoost and man, what a difference. This last summer I towed my 24 foot trailer for 4000 miles up hill from Fenix, AZ to the Northwest and the coast with no issues, other than having to get used to backing into camp spots.

I bought the Platinum and as far as fit, finish and comfort, WOW. It came with the electronic foot step, that I thought was kinda silly, but now that I have it, it is awesome! But, all of that being said, the fuel economy is no where near what Ford states.

We drive between Fenix and San Felipe regularly and we get about 17mpg, but we do tend to stay at 80 to 85 mph. If I keep it at 65, I get pretty good mileage in the 19 to 20mph range.

- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

I was a GM guy for my adult life. every truck I owned were GM mfg. I decided when it was time to buy a new truck a few years ago I was giving up on GM (Government Motors)

I bought the 3.7L EcoBoost, against my better judgement. Let's face facts every 6 cylinder motor that we had before came in some little Japanese putt putt pickup truck. I drove both the V8 and the dual turbo charged EcoBoost and man, what a difference. This last summer I towed my 24 foot trailer for 4000 miles up hill from Fenix, AZ to the Northwest and the coast with no issues, other than having to get used to backing into camp spots.

I bought the Platinum and as far as fit, finish and comfort, WOW. It came with the electronic foot step, that I thought was kinda silly, but now that I have it, it is awesome! But, all of that being said, the fuel economy is no where near what Ford states.

We drive between Fenix and San Felipe regularly and we get about 17mpg, but we do tend to stay at 80 to 85 mph. If I keep it at 65, I get pretty good mileage in the 19 to 20mph range.

- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2014 at 08:13 AM

As I understand, the raptor will be carried over onto the new platform.
MMc
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2014 at 08:46 AM

I see the raptor as a marketing thing, more money for the same platform. I know a couple of people that have them, nice but overpriced, IMHO.
For 60k I be looking for a striped 3/4 or 1 ton truck, all the bells and whistle inside don't do that much for me. I don't want a truck that's smart, I want one that I can abuse and get me home. KISS works for me. I tried to get hand roll windows and the fleet manager thought I was nuts:o

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-24-2014 at 09:30 PM

"I tried to get hand roll windows and the fleet manager thought I was nuts" :lol::lol:

My old Bronco has "wind-wings" ... Can't understand why they were done away with too ... they work great ... except for an occasional "bee or wasp" .. coming in and hitting ya in the chest ... without something to smack them with :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 12-25-2014 by wessongroup]

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2014 at 08:59 AM

Only down side I can remember about the "wind wings" is the whistling that accompanied them after a short while..... Had to shim them with matchbooks, coins Or whatever to get them to shut up!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.