BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Good cell service for MX and US.
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 1-8-2015 at 10:14 AM
Good cell service for MX and US.

I just bought a pay go phone from Telcel America and it looks like a winner. For $50 dllrs at Best Buy, I got an android smartphone, 2.3 3g with a camera.

The service with Telcel America is $60 dlrs/mo gives me;
Unlimited calls, texts and data in the US.

1000 minutes for calls and texts to cells in MX (calls initiated in the US or intitiated in MX). 1GB data. Unlimited calls to landlines in MX. No roaming charges anywhere.

I used the address of my mail box in San Diego and have a 619 number. As of the second day, it's working fine with US and MX calls and texts.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-8-2015 at 11:05 AM

I saw one of those at a Kmart in northern CA, on sale for the same price. What I could not determine is what happens if service is not purchased monthly.
Do you know if service can be interrupted without having to start over with a new sim card and number?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Sjsam

[*] posted on 1-8-2015 at 11:36 AM

What is the contract commitment ? $50 Bucks?There is no free lunch
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2015 at 11:47 AM

No contract, but their basic plan is $29 for thirty days service.
You can find the other options and coverage by going to 'Tecel America plans'
I assume they use ATT towers in the US, just as ATT uses Tecel in Mexico.

Cool, I didn't get burroed!

[Edited on 1-8-2015 by AKgringo]

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 08:59 AM

Cricket Cellular here in O-side has new plan they rolled out this year, as they were purchased by ATT last year..
Unlimited phone and text for $25 mo, and when you cross the border you pay $10 mo for 100 mins and 100 text mgs.. That puts you on Telmex system throughout MX.. Great option for traveling the hwy when heading south for coverage..
Also, there is no monthly contract, and they can also put you in a data plan if you want to pay $40mo+...

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 04:01 PM

I've used ATT Go Phone pre paid. Sim Card expires after 90 days if you don't add minutes to it, so I just add min $15 every 90 days to keep it active.
Texts are $0.25 and calls are inexpensive though I forget the exact amount.
I haven't used data (internet) on it yet, not sure how that is charged, if anybody does know let me know, there are a few times it would be nice to have.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 05:12 PM

TLBaja79, $15 only gives you thirty days of service. To add 90 days of service, you need to add $25 dollars to your account.
While checking my facts on this, I found information indicating that ATT has monthly plans that I could switch my Go Phone to that equal the deal offered by Telcel, except for the Android price, it is $79 with ATT. I think that is the regular price for Telcel as well.

(edit) Calls are ten cents/min US, twenty five cents/min MX

[Edited on 1-10-2015 by AKgringo]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.