Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Day trip to La Ribera
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 04:34 PM
Day trip to La Ribera

We were recently in Todos Santos and took a day trip to meet up with BajaNomad royalty Osprey and his wife in La Ribera. Great folks whose love for Baja - and particularly the East Cape - is a real inspiration for wannabees like me. Here's a photo my wife snapped just outside of the Vista La Ribera, where we had an excellent lunch. Sadly, we didn't have time to stay and have our hooves polished at the day spa.

[Edited on 1-31-2015 by BajaNomad]

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 04:31 PM

That place cracks me up. It's pretty out of place in La Ribera, but like you found, the food is great. Try the ribs...they're fantastic.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 06:17 PM

George and his wife Lynda really are Baja Royalty!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 06:22 PM

You went to La Ribera/Los Barriles and don't have any strange flying pig stories from George? Nail Salon? Hope your post from Todos Santos Music Festival is more interesting. Waiting for your update on Tres Santos, tambien. Baja is full of Old Crusty characters.:bounce: Hope you had a good time. Tio
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 09:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chavycha  
That place cracks me up. It's pretty out of place in La Ribera, but like you found, the food is great. Try the ribs...they're fantastic.

Out of place? Heck, we have shiny, new Oxxo. Soon we'll be so upscale Clooney and gang won't be able to stay away.

Andy
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 10:50 PM

Wait, what? New Oxxo??? Wherewhenhow?

Does it have a shiny new ATM or did it drive off already? ;)

[Edited on 1-30-2015 by chavycha]
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 07:59 AM

I'd be trying to please you with more tall tales from this little village but the new software is getting in my way. I just remind myself that the site owner was forced to seek aggressive censor help because so many posters ignored language rules and could taint an otherwise pretty civil forum.

We had an ATM here in the delegacion but they kept robbing it, busting it open. They stole the one in Los Barriles some years ago so I guess we are lucky just to have one there.

Es La Vida.
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 08:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chavycha  
Wait, what? New Oxxo??? Wherewhenhow?

Does it have a shiny new ATM or did it drive off already? ;)

[Edited on 1-30-2015 by chavycha]

I don't think there is an ATM but I didn't look. It went up between Odile when we left and Christmas when I drove down. It's on the corner of the main drag and the Cabo Pulmo pot hole highway.

I can't tell you what a shock it was driving into town just after dark. Expecting my usual sleepy, dark village and coming around that last bend and seeing this huge white light. The parking lot is lit, the store is lit. I'm sure the turtles on the beach have a new moon to target. The times I've been in there are at least 4 girls working so, if they are local, that's a good thing. We'll just have to see if it stays shiny and lit and clean. I don't mind. Progress happens.

Andy
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 03:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
You went to La Ribera/Los Barriles and don't have any strange flying pig stories from George? Nail Salon? Hope your post from Todos Santos Music Festival is more interesting. Waiting for your update on Tres Santos, tambien. Baja is full of Old Crusty characters.:bounce: Hope you had a good time. Tio

George is slowly introducing me to his treasure trove of stories, but I'm assuming that flying pig tales are for consumption by only the most seasoned of professionals.

We went to the festival 2 nights out of 4, but left the photography to those with backstage credentials. My wife snapped this shot of a dove in a tree at sunset up in Las Tunas. Extra credit if you can identify the tree.

[Edited on 1-31-2015 by BajaNomad]

chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 04:25 PM

Last year we heard that the one in the delegation was tied to a pickup and ripped out, then got dragged a bit of a ways down Mar de Cortez. It made for a good tall tale, anyhow.
Tod
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 08:20 PM

Century Plant?
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 08:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tod  
Century Plant?

Good call. Definitely in the agave family.

Katiejay99
Nomad

Mood: it is what it is

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 08:29 PM

That paloma is actually very sad. His/her mate died after flying into my house and into my dish water and then limping outside and unfortunately was fair game to the dogs. I have enjoyed watching them both for many months and am very sorry to see this one all alone. I hope he/she finds a new mate.

I won't ruin it for others, but I watch this tree grow daily. Really!!
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 08:35 PM

Sad indeed! It was not only a beautiful photo by Mary, but now I know there's a poignant back story.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.