Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Intro - Hello from Santa Barbara, CA
sbsyncro
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 12:46 PM
Intro - Hello from Santa Barbara, CA

Hi everyone. I finally took the plunge after several years of casually lurking on the site and signed up today. I'm looking forward to becoming part of the community here.

Growing up in So Cal, I took my first Baja trips with my Dad back in the early and mid 70's in our family VW camper or my Dad's '69 Buick.

I attended college in San Diego in the early 80's and spent a lot of time in norther Baja on surf and dive trips, often leading groups of friends on adventures down the Pacific Coast in our Jeeps.

Then came marriage, kids, and a career... Alas, it was a LONG time before I visited Baja. 20+ years in fact, when I took a trip to Mag Bay in 2103 and fell in love with Baja again.

Now the kids are grown up and the Baja bug has once again bitten me hard. Last summer I took an overland trip to Tortugas and Bahia de Los Angeles for 10 days and that "sealed the deal" for me.

I'm now planning several trips for this spring, summer and fall, and hope to introduce my 15 year old to the magic of Baja (his Mom finally says its OK!). My next trip will probably be to BOLA or perhaps to PSF. I have a 14' inflatable on a trailer for Baja trips, and hoping to drag it down to PSF for some camping and spearfishing, either during Spring Break (Semana Santa) or May/June.

I'm an avid spear fisherman and "regular" fisherman, and love boating, kayaking, surfing, diving, and pretty much anything related to the ocean. I also LOVE TO COOK and EAT, so of course Baja is the perfect place for me! I speak a bit of Spanish (it is coming back gradually as I revisit Mexico).

Just wanted to introduce myself before I began jumping in and posting threads asking questions, etc. I'm looking forward to being part of a community where everyone understands the vibe of Baja!

Cheers,

Brent

Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 12:55 PM

Welcome to the forum!

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 01:00 PM

Good times await!

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 01:23 PM

What a super intro, Brent.

We mostly love new input and members, and look forward to hearing about you and your Son's etc. adventures.

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 01:25 PM

Welcome Brent! Yes, a super introduction... we await a future trip report and photos (sized to no more than 800 pixels, lol)!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Katiejay99
Nomad

Mood: it is what it is

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 02:18 PM

Welcome to Namadlandia.

Don't forget about Southern Baja, we have some great towns, beaches, etc here, too.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 03:18 PM

Everything sounds good except for the part about taking your boat trailer to San Francisquito. Boat trailers get trashed on roads like that. Can you deflate the boat and put it in your vehicle?
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 03:44 PM

Welcome aboard Brent! We will all be looking forward to your future trip reports.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 04:10 PM

Welcome and when you come would you bring me some BBQ Tri-tip?

Bob Durrell
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 04:24 PM

Welcome, great intro, I'm sure you will be providing excellent reports. Glad you are introducing you son to the "wonders" of Baja.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 07:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  

Santa Maria Style!

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 07:29 PM

Hola Brent and glad you have taken the plunge into the sandbox! It was really nice to introduce yourself so we know a little bit about you and look forward to having you back in baja again!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
sbsyncro
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2015 at 12:33 AM

Thanks everyone! I'll post up some pix of my last couple of trips when I'm in front of my computer. And I'll definitely trade tri-tip for good Intel or cold pacificos and lobster any time! :-D

Regarding the trailer to PSFO I wondered about that and would like to get more info, but was planning to post a new thread in the appropriate forum. I've wanted to hit that spot for years but have always heard that getting a panguero is not very likely so wanted to bring my own boat.

Regards,

Brent
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2015 at 07:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  

Santa Maria Style!

All you need is Susie Q and the right beans.:bounce:
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 1-31-2015 at 08:41 AM

Welcome to Nomad and thanks for describing your history and future plans.

Wishing you many fun, fish filled adventures in the years to come!

Be sure to visit The fishmarket in Ensenada. (Sometimes it's nice to relax and enjoy other people's catch)

And if you haven't been down to see the whales in the lagoons on the Pacific side, Semana Santa would be a good time to visit. The calves will be quite large and many will have headed north by then, but there will still be a few around.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
sbsyncro
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2015 at 08:44 AM

Some pix as promised

A couple of nice Cubera/Pargo from July. Took them in about 50' of water off the coast way north of BoLA

"La Vela" from the far north end of Isla Angel de la Guardia off Bay of LA. We dove this rock for about an hour and it was covered with the remaining halves of enormous scallops. The sea lions were very aggressive. We could not find any grouper down at the bottom, but it was a neat spot to see.

Dinner with Pedro Felix Torres (Cangrejo's). Pedro is a REALLY nice guy and a great panguero.

Fish processing in Punta Eugenia

Telling fish stories with "Chicharron". It was one of those "you should have been here last week" kinds of trips...

Best Fish Tacos I can remember ever having (Guerrero Negro). Definitely worth a stop, but he's not there on Sundays.

Sunset over Tortugas makes you forget about the dust

Breakfast at Las Hamacas (BOLA)

And my "take home" souvenir from the trip (what I call a "Baja tattoo"). BTW, is there an English equivalent for the word "golpe"? ("dent" just doesn't seem to convey the same meaning....) :lol:

And one of my favorite shots from my Mag Bay trip in 2013:

[Edited on 1-31-2015 by sbsyncro]
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-31-2015 at 09:36 AM

Great photos too!

Bob Durrell
Genecag
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2015 at 09:54 AM

Great intro and welcome!!

Make it a Great Day!!
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 1-31-2015 at 10:17 AM

Welcome aboard Brent, Your intro reminded me of, well, me! The only thing is to subtract about 20 years as I started going down with my Dad to Ensenada in the mid 50's. That taco truck in GN is the best, Shari turned us on to it a coupla years back. Speaking of Shari, try to join her for whale watching at Ojo de Liebre when you get the chance. Also try to make a side trip to join our gang/club at Bahia Asuncion; good fishing (both surf and offshore), diving, surfing, etc., not to mention the most wonderful group of expats and locals on the peninsula!

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-31-2015 at 10:22 AM

Cool photos and all are sized to fit Nomad... Good Job, Thanks!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.