[Edited on 2-1-2015 by freewillie]

IMG_0073.jpg - 169kBIMG_0073.jpg - 169kB
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-1-2015 at 11:59 AM

FW,
My heart goes out to you....nothing worse it would seem :fire:

My motorcycle was stolen in San Felipe last year (just rolled away while I was in a panaderia)

$15,000 MP reward w/posters around town got it back 48 hours later.

Good luck with getting your primo toy back.

Don't believe everything you think....
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 2-1-2015 at 12:11 PM

When and where?

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-1-2015 at 12:34 PM
Details

Please

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2015 at 12:56 PM

oh lordy, thats no bueno....:no:
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2015 at 03:14 PM

Sorry for your loss....I had my bike stolen in Tucson, and it was a bummer. Can you provide details (when, where, how)? That will help the off road community protect themselves in the future. Thanks in advance!
freewillie

[*] posted on 2-1-2015 at 03:26 PM

Thanks for the comments.
I tried to post text with the pictures but i seem to have finger problems in doing so.

It was stolen from Villa Serena in Cabo San Lucas at about 8pm on Saturday evening.
I have stayed here at Villa Serena for 3 years from early December until late March and never had a problem before, i guess got somewhat complacent. I went to town at 6pm, and returned at 10pm to find it missing. Neighbours tell me they saw it driving out of the park about 8pm, with two people in it.
Apparently they hot wired it or somehow started and drove it as the keys are all still in my possession.
I have gone to the police here, and posted it on a Facebook page of a friend who is well connected in the area, offering a 1000 USD reward for it to be returned, no questions asked.
While I'm not overly optimistic on getting it back i do hope that some miracle does happen.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2015 at 04:15 PM

Thanks for the info, and best of luck! I plan on being more careful when on future trips. Could have easily happened to me.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2015 at 04:26 PM

Hoping you get it back.... that reward just might do it!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2015 at 05:46 PM

....yeh,,,I lost my van and all gear in TJ 3 years back....was running around handing out flyers ''$1000us reward'' until someone said they translated as 'kidnap me' posters! :o;):biggrin:

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-1-2015 at 08:15 PM

That machine is pretty hard to hide, which means it has to be taken by closed truck some where to the mainland. Surely can't use it anywhere in Baja without people asking questions, right?

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
CaboSur
Nomad

Mood: Irrelevant

[*] posted on 2-1-2015 at 08:51 PM

Here's what worked for a friend of mine in Chihuahua. He had his car back in 24 hrs.
Stop the first transito vehicle you see and give them a photo of the RZR and explain to them in Spanish you are offering a reward for the return of your RZR with no questions asked. With a little luck you may be amazed at how fast they find it. These guys have a lot of contacts on the street.

Wish you lots of LUCK!!!
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 2-2-2015 at 11:05 AM

Did you haul it down from the Northwest Territory or buy it after you got here?

Bob Durrell
freewillie

[*] posted on 2-2-2015 at 11:29 AM
Hauled it down

pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2015 at 12:51 PM

You might try going to CaboMil radio station, it's right down the street at the Cabo Bello entrance, run some ads with a reward, they can put ads together pretty quick.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-2-2015 at 01:15 PM
Advertise

Posters with photos on telephone poles, bus (micro) stops, stores, gas stations. Give flyers to police, propane truck drivers and water truck delivery people, military checkpoints

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 2-2-2015 at 03:51 PM

Agree with many posters that your best bet is a local contact with local recovery. Based on the motoged experience, is there a local motorhead contact who can act as an intermediary. As a Norte' gringo, you probably don't have the necessary insight into the local motorhead community. The quicker, the better and bypass the 'authorities' unless they present a solution.....

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-2-2015 at 04:00 PM

Another place to look: Impound lots. If the SOB's joy-ride and wreck it or abandon it, and it's impounded by the Fed's or local policia, it can be already sitting in an impound lot waiting for you. Even though the police report has the VIN # and info particulars doesn't mean the different offices and lots communicate. I'd check all major towns from Loreto south, and check 'em yourself, with photo and vin# with. This is from experience... a friend had his bike swiped, put out rewards, and the Loreto impound lot worker even tried to contact us (for the reward money of course) but went to the wrong beach.... the thing sat for weeks until my friend found it himself.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2015 at 06:05 PM

Will the Mexican Federales trace a VIN number for an abandones vehicle back to the states and contact the owner. Sounds like a dumb question, "of course not"?
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-3-2015 at 11:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
Will the Mexican Federales trace a VIN number for an abandones vehicle back to the states and contact the owner. Sounds like a dumb question, "of course not"?

All I can say is, from experience an 'abandoned' vehicle will sit long enough to be forgotten, then shall we say, 'adopted' into possession of either a policia or the yard owner, or maybe a third party.... for a nominal price. The VIN of the stolen motorcycle I was involved in was reported less than 12 hours of the theft to the Mulege gendarmes. The bike was wrecked and abandoned within 12 hours of the report, and impounded in Loreto, VIN recorded and given to Loreto gendarmes and Federales (Fed. yard). It was 2 - 3 weeks later we found the bike (from a local Mulegeno tip) at the impound yard.

Meantime, the scumbag that wrecked the bike was treated for a broken arm at 2 a.m. the same night the bike was taken, and told the policia he'd ''fallen off a horse''..... yeah, right. No follow-ups at all, and this creature is very well known in Mulege as the biggest thief in the area... everyone knew he was the culprit, but probably somebody's cousin.

Oh yeah, the bike was ticketed because it was found wrecked and abandoned, and even though there was a 'stolen' report on it the night before, my friend still had to pay the 'wrecked and abandoned' ticket, and several weeks' storage as well. He had a $500 USD reward out, and by the time tickets, storage, interpreter fees and what-all was paid out, came to close to $500. On top of that, the Loreto PD tried....... TRIED........ to shake us down for the reward money as well. They didn't succeed.

I hope that helps answer your question.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.