Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: The 50 Most Violent Cities In The World
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 2-24-2015 at 12:23 PM
The 50 Most Violent Cities In The World

Mexico's Citizens' Council for Public Security and Criminal Justice, has just put out their 2015 list of the 50 most violent cities in the world, and I will link the Mexican think tank at the bottom of this post that's in Spanish, and also included is how they came up with the rankings, but briefly they came up with the 50 most violent cities in the world, just looking at the homicides per 100,000 residents, which of course will have it's limitations of giving a true and accurate view of danger in certain cities.

Mexico had 10 cities making the most dangerous list, but before I would go into a full panic, it should be noted four US cities made the list, led by San Louis, Detroit, New Orleans, and Baltimore.

So the next time I hear somebody tell me Mexico, or the cities of Tijuana or Juarez, are too dangerous, I will simple point out four US cities are ranked higher than both Tijuana and Juarez on the 50 most violent cities in the world list.

The 50 Most Violent Cities In The World

There is a brand new ranking of the world's most violent cities from Mexico's Citizens' Council for Public Security and Criminal Justice.

A full one-third of global homicides occur in Latin America even though the region has just percent of the world's population, according to United Nations data.

Drug trafficking, gang wars, political instability, corruption, and poverty combine to cause the region's elevated violence.

The council's ranking includes cities with a population of more than 300,000 and doesn't count deaths in combat zones or cities with unavailable data, so some dangerous cities might not be represented on the list.

50. Cuernavaca, Mexico, had 25.45 homicides per 100,000 residents.

48. Torreon Mexico, had 27.81 homicides per 100,000 residents.

45. Tijuana, Mexico, had 29.90 homicides per 100,000 residents.

43. Chihuahua City, Mexico, had 33.29 homicides per 100,000 residents

41. Victoria, Mexico, had 33.91 homicides per 100,000 residents.

40. Baltimore had 33.92 homicides per 100,000 residents.

34. Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, had 34.92 homicides per 100,000 residents.

31.Obregon, Mexico had 37.71 homicides per 100,000 residents.

28. New Orleans had 39.61 homicides per 100,000 residents.

27.Juarez, Mexico, had 39.94 homicides per 100,000 residents.

24. Culiacan , Mexico, had 42.17 homicides per 100,000 residents.

22. Detroit had 44.87 homicides per 100,000 residents.

19. St. Louis had 49.93 homicides per 100,000 residents.

3. Acapulco, Mexico, had 104.16 homicides per 100,000 residents.

2. Caracas, Venezuela had 115.98 homicides per 100,000 residents.

1. San Pedro Sula, Honduras, had 171.20 homicides per 100,000 residents.

Check out the full list here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-50-most-violent-cities-in...

They also do a ranking just for Mexican cities in Mexico, and they have about six different categories they look at to determine the rankings, and they assign different weights to those categories, for example, homicide will receive a value of 55, kidnapping, will get about 10 points and robbery will be assigned a lessor number like 2, and then they will add the numbers together and come up with a final ranking. I'm not looking at the article, and just guessing at the value given for kidnapping, or robbery, but I think I'm pretty close, and Homicide was given a 55 value for sure. The rankings included only cities about 100,000 residents.

http://www.seguridadjusticiaypaz.org.mx/biblioteca/prensa/su...

[Edited on 2-24-2015 by JoeJustJoe]
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-24-2015 at 12:35 PM

Hard to understand how ... Mosul, and a few others, didn't make that list as vacation destinations ... :biggrin::biggrin:

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2015 at 12:46 PM

Worth a repost?

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-24-2015 at 01:13 PM

Oil + Religion VS Drug Cartels......Who is killing more.....???

At first glance, it looks like the cartels are killing more.....but murders under the guise of "war" are likely not represented on those stats.

Bummer.....no matter how you look at it.

Don't believe everything you think....
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-24-2015 at 02:02 PM

Stephen Hawking says that 'aggression', humanity's greatest vice, will destroy civilization.

I believe him.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

elbeau
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2015 at 02:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

So the next time I hear somebody tell me Mexico, or the cities of Tijuana or Juarez, are too dangerous, I will simple point out four US cities are ranked higher than both Tijuana and Juarez on the 50 most violent cities in the world list.

I'm a little confused here. These stats are not ordered by murders per 100,000. I'm not saying that the US cities listed are safer, I just want to point out that St. Louis is ranked higher that Juarez, but has a lower murder rate according to the numbers you posted. What criteria are they using to order the list? ...cuz the only reason that St. Louis "ranked higher" seems to be because somebody randomly put a "19" beside it.
elbeau
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2015 at 02:15 PM

Turns out that the links provided above do lead to the right numbers. The ones listed are incorrect, but it looks like the ranking order is right.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 2-24-2015 at 02:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  
Hard to understand how ... Mosul, and a few others, didn't make that list as vacation destinations ... :biggrin::biggrin:

]

I know you are trolling Wesson, but you brought up a good point. Why no mention of Mosul, which is in Northern Iraq, Kurdish territory, where ISIS was at war and killing the locals in that region of Iraq.

Well, if you actually read the article that I posted you would have seen this statement and I'll quote:

"The council's ranking includes cities with a population of more than 300,000 and doesn't count deaths in combat zones or cities with unavailable data, so some dangerous cities might not be represented on the list."

So the Mexican Think Tank, didn't include any cities that were in a combat zone, or had unavailable data.

However, I admit I was thinking along your lines, and also wondered why no Arab Middle Eastern countries?

I would say that's one of the limitations to these kinds of studies that are only looking at homicides per 100,000 residents.

This is only my opinion, but I would also say that, indeed many Arab middle eastern cities outside of war zones are considered fairly safe, because many of these Arab middle east Muslim countries have a low tolerance for crime, and many of these countries have brutal penalties if caught committing crimes. You also don't see too many drug Junkies in Arab countries, and so there is not a high demand for drugs in these countries like there is in the USA.
elbeau
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2015 at 02:32 PM

Well, if you actually read the article that I posted...

Well, if you actually read the article that you posted you would see that St. Louis had 49.93 per 100K, not 34.14 per 100K. You would see that New Orleans had 39.61 per 100K, not 45.08 per 100K. You would see that Juarez had 39.94 per 100K, not 37.59...etc, etc.

[Edited on 2-24-2015 by elbeau]
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 2-24-2015 at 02:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elbeau  

Well, if you actually read the article that I posted...

Well, if you actually read the article that you posted you would see that St. Louis had 49.93 per 100K, not 34.14 per 100K. You would see that New Orleans had 39.61 per 100K, not 45.08 per 100K. You would see that Juarez had 39.94 per 100K, not 37.59...etc, etc.

[Edited on 2-24-2015 by elbeau]

Yeah, it looks like I made one mistake, I posted a few rankings from the 50 most violent cities in the world in 2014 last year, which BTW doesn't change much about Juarez although Juarez that used to be highly ranked as being one of the top three most violent cities in the world, and now Juarez has been moving down the list the last three years.

What happened, is I already posted the 50 most violent cities in the world, in the OT from the 2014 list, and because of the limitations of "Baja Nomad" software cut and paste, especially with certain Spanish letters, I just cut and paste a few of the old data from the 2014 lists because most of the cities listed in 2014, were also listed in 2015, although the rankings changed. The 2015 rankings are still correct.

However, I just went back to the first post in this thread, and corrected any numbers that were incorrect and put in the correct homicides per 100,000 residents from the 2015 report.

Thanks for letting me know, and here are the 2014 report on the most violent cites in 2014, that was looking at the numbers from 2013, as these numbers are always one year behind.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-most-violent-cities-in-th...

[Edited on 2-24-2015 by JoeJustJoe]
elbeau
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2015 at 03:09 PM

Sounds good Joe. Thanks for the updates.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2015 at 04:18 PM

Duh. Instead of trying to decide which one is worse. why not avoid them all? Unless of course, you are trying to justify your own poor decision making.
greengoes
Select Nomad

Mood: Today I slay the Red Dot.

[*] posted on 2-24-2015 at 04:46 PM

Thanks for the video Wesson. Play it full screen and turn the sound up for best effect. At 3:50 and 4:32 listen for the cheers when they blow some stuff up. Whoever they were fighting looked raggedy.

I won't tell when the best scene is, spend 11 minutes in the driver seat.

ANUNCIATE AQUI
DISPONIBLE
INFORMES LLAMA SNOWBALL - 646-115-7754
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2015 at 05:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Stephen Hawking says that 'aggression', humanity's greatest vice, will destroy civilization.

I believe him.

You know, buddy, I believe him and shudder to see how it plays out.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2015 at 06:04 PM

but chances are artificial intelligence (machines that are so smart we won't be able to control them) is numero uno on his list.

[Edited on 2-25-2015 by willardguy]
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-24-2015 at 06:11 PM

Read it ... Ya think the State of Michoacan is exempt from "deaths in combat zones" ....

And concur with this:

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

I believe him.

and this:

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Duh. Instead of trying to decide which one is worse. why not avoid them all? Unless of course, you are trying to justify your own poor decision making.
bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2015 at 11:45 PM

The windy city didn.t make the list, Chicago . I so often read on here how dangereous Chicago is . guess not so bad after all.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 2-25-2015 at 08:17 AM

Now just how does Mexico have so many cities on this list, what with their strict gun laws and all............

Oh, I got it, only the bad guys have the guns.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-25-2015 at 09:21 AM

Since in Mexico it's mainly the bad guys killing each other, there's some good in these stats.:light:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2015 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
Now just how does Mexico have so many cities on this list, what with their strict gun laws and all............

Oh, I got it, only the bad guys have the guns.

No, just the paranoid idiots. Learn here ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP3HJVp3n9c
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.