Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Guerrero Negro checkpoint
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 05:14 PM
Guerrero Negro checkpoint

Today anyway, immigration was working the checkpoint. I haven't seen them there for quite a while. Turn right to the airport if you're traveling under the radar.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 05:21 PM

Or quit flying under the radar. Mexico's immigration requirements are nothing compared to that of the US, it isn't hard to comply. Thumbing your nose at their requirements will make it harder on everyone in the long run.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
UnoMas
Nomad

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 06:12 PM

Could not have said it better dt. What if you are in an accident or some other unforeseen situation and you are in Mexico Illegally. Is it worth saving 25 bucks:light: Might just make for a very bad experience:biggrin:
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2015 at 07:59 PM

Get the tourist permit already:light:

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 06:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
Or quit flying under the radar. Mexico's immigration requirements are nothing compared to that of the US, it isn't hard to comply. Thumbing your nose at their requirements will make it harder on everyone in the long run.

DITTO
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 08:18 AM

OK, here's a question. We just finished 5 years as a Residente Temporal and went to INM to upgrade to Permenante. Filled out all the paperwork, paid the money (about $6000 pesos) and they took our current cards. Now we have to go up the the US and essentially have no valid paperwork as the new cards won't be available before we have to leave. I did make a photo copy of our old cards JIC, but how will that be looked upon by the INM checkpoints that seem to have sprung up overnight? Our local INM guys just say, "no problem".

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 08:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
OK, here's a question. We just finished 5 years as a Residente Temporal and went to INM to upgrade to Permenante. Filled out all the paperwork, paid the money (about $6000 pesos) and they took our current cards. Now we have to go up the the US and essentially have no valid paperwork as the new cards won't be available before we have to leave. I did make a photo copy of our old cards JIC, but how will that be looked upon by the INM checkpoints that seem to have sprung up overnight? Our local INM guys just say, "no problem".
You need to go back to INM and get temporary travel paperwork. I think it's called a carta entramite.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 08:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  

Had the same issue, IMM in Cabo (or La Paz) would give you a letter (for a fee of course) stating your IMM status so you could travel. The last time I needed it they wanted to see an airline reservation or something proving I was going somewhere, I told them I was driving which got me the "shrug" and no letter. By the time it got to that point I had changed my travel plans so I didn't pursue it.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
rdrrm8e
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 10:09 AM

When Stan (SurfDoc) died suddenly we didn't have time for his family to get visas, etc.

The "airport" road saved us a lot of headache. Of course given the time I always comply.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 10:25 AM

News to me. After making more trips past GN than I can remember, I never knew about making an end run via this 'airport' detour..until I read it here on Nomads. Sounds like a rum-runners story ripe with adventure...and maybe jail time?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Enrique2012
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 12:11 PM

I use this detour all the time, thumbing my nose at the Mexican Immigration officials. You can see the eagle off to the east as you pass by, and every time I do I break out into hysterical laughter and thank all my Nomad amigos for turning me onto this information!!

My God it feels good violating another countries immigration laws! NOW I UNDERSTAND!! :bounce:
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 12:24 PM

we always jump off at the la pinta,drive past the old RV park and head across past the cemetery to the gymnasium. not to bypass the checkpoint,its just shorter! :D
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 12:52 PM

I bypassed the checkpoint once quite by accident. I was just looking for a place to walk my dog and give her a potty break before hitting the inspection point, and missed it while finding a different route back to the highway.
This year on my return trip north in November, I went slowly through the inspection area but never encountered anyone to even wave me through or wave at!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 04:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

This may come as a shock to all you do gooders out there but there is a significant population of illegal immigrants here in Baja California. Some of them are even gainfully employed, Oh no Mr. Bill! My comment was not directed to those of you with Hummers, a mansion on the beach and membership in the club. It was for the benefit of people, usually poor, that realize that the hours of time and thousands of dollars spent dealing with immigration aren't really necessary if you are crossing the border by any other means than by air. Just like illegals in the US there are illegals in Mexico also. It's not really a big deal or a big problem. Just is! One of the best things about Mexico is their pragmatism. They realize that a few people are going to slip by but - so what? Life goes on, no one is really hurt. Now in the states, the do gooders rant and rile and threaten the Latino population and on and on. What a waste of time, money and energy. Viva Mexico! It's why I live here.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 04:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

This may come as a shock to all you do gooders out there but there is a significant population of illegal immigrants here in Baja California. Some of them are even gainfully employed, Oh no Mr. Bill! My comment was not directed to those of you with Hummers, a mansion on the beach and membership in the club. It was for the benefit of people, usually poor, that realize that the hours of time and thousands of dollars spent dealing with immigration aren't really necessary if you are crossing the border by any other means than by air. Just like illegals in the US there are illegals in Mexico also. It's not really a big deal or a big problem. Just is! One of the best things about Mexico is their pragmatism. They realize that a few people are going to slip by but - so what? Life goes on, no one is really hurt. Now in the states, the do gooders rant and rile and threaten the Latino population and on and on. What a waste of time, money and energy. Viva Mexico! It's why I live here.

However you want to rationalize it....it boils to values to me. I try to do the right thing. If you choose not to, so be it.

[Edited on 3-7-2015 by Bajaboy]

Zola
Nomad

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 05:24 PM

Where is the quickest place to stop to get a tourist visa if you are headed south from the border? The Tijuana place issues the visa super fast, but it takes a little while to find a place to park and walk to it... Is there any faster place?
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 06:06 PM

Discover Baja, Vagabundos?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 06:10 PM

Remember if you get the pre paid FMM at Discover Baja (or any other place), you still must stop inside Mexico at the INM desk and get it stamped.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2015 at 08:35 PM

Jan. 14, 2015

The good attorney Lic. Spencer McMullen has reported some good news for well-behaved non-criminal foreigners who are in Mexico illegally. Here’s Spencer’s report:

New Regularization (Amnesty) Program for people illegally in Mexico
In Dec. 2014, President Peña Nieto mentioned a program to regularize (offer amnesty) to people illegally in Mexico. The programs details were published in the DOF (Mex. Gob. Daily Federal Register), on January, 12, 2015, taking effect on January 13, 2015. The amnesty program lasts until December 18, 2015.

The program mentions nothing about paying fines nor having to show income to qualify.
Here is the publication in plain English:

ASSUMPTIONS
The present program applies to foreigners who entered Mexico before November 9, 2012 and on January 13, 2015 (for people who) find themselves living in the country with an irregular immigration status.

The aforementioned is when the foreigner does not fall into one of the following situations:

Have a pending immigration request except those expressly canceled in order to participate in this program.
Are in the process of an assisted return procedure or deportation
Given false information or false documents to Immigration or authentic documents obtained fraudulently.
People deported with reentry restrictions
People with pending criminal charges or a criminal record
People who compromise national security due to past criminal records
People subject to express prohibitions dictated by a competent authority
Having not complied with a deportation order during the program period
Having an irregular immigration status after January 13, 2015
(or) Anything else covered by the Immigration law and its regulations. In the cases of V and VI the authority will weigh the corresponding resolution attending to the principles of social redapatation, as well as those relative to family reunification.

REQUIREMENTS
Foreigners requesting their regularization per this program need to present the following in original and copy:

Immigration form
Request letter
Passport
Immigration document (in the event the person had one)
One of the following documents that proves their residence in the country:
a. Airline tickets

b. Passport with entry stamp

c. Immigration document (in case the person was regular in Mexico)

d. Utility bills (light, water, phone, internet, TV, gas or any other utility)

e. Medical file, school records or rental contracts

f. Any other document issued by a public agency that shows the requestor has resided in Mexico or

g. Declaration signed by two people who know the person and state they have lived in the country for the time required.

The documents can be in the name of the person or their children, partner or spousal figure.

Documents that prove their current residence (light, water, phone, internet, TV, gas or any other utility).
Payment of regularization fees
Copies of ID of people authorized to present papers.
PROCEDURE
The procedure for the person requesting the regularization of their immigration status is the following:

Present documents at Immigration as mentioned prior where they will have a hearing on the spot or set the date for a future hearing. The future date shall not be more than 10 business days after the papers are turned in.
They will make a written record of the hearing and go over all the paperwork presented that proves what needs to be proved
Immigration then has 30 days to give a response. If the response is positive then they shall issue a temporary resident document good for four years.

Once the person has the document they may request work permission as well as documents for family members.

For the issuance of the document the person will need the positive resolution, 2 copies of the format basico, 3 photos, and payment of fees.

Immigration may not arrest anybody who applies for the program due to their irregular status.

http://www.diariooficial.gob.mx/nota_detalle.php?codigo=5378...

Hope this helps !

Lic. Spencer McMullen is in Chapala, Mexico, and can be contacted at Chapalalaw.com

Surviving Yucatan

YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan. ©Steven M. Fry

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 01:22 PM

ohh I think it is VERY wrong to enter a country illegally. Just wrong on every single level.

Getting the FMM is so ridiculously easy...why would you not get it? As they say here in La Bocana: No comprenda la machine.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.