Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My current Callen Camper set up
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 02:34 PM
My current Callen Camper set up

Here's how I've outfitted my Callen. I will be looking for ways to set up similar multi-purpose, lightweight, modular design in LaBus

Callen camper set up for Baja travel- 6' bed, about 45" tall over height of rails (I can stand, hunched over, inside).

At Ojo de Liebre, 30 watt solar panel charges my 350 watt/hour battery/converter (GoalZero design) to run small electronics, recharge batteries etc. (I will be getting more panels for charging with LaBus)

Looking into palapa from interior

Bedroom side: items stowed underneath

Storage shelves/counter side. I stow items on this side while camping, keep the center aisle clear.

This is how it's set up to travel, with chair, table etc. sliding into center. I place lightweight items (sleeping bag, towels etc.) on shelf over cab. Heavier items get placed low, over wheels.

It's been a good, reliable truck and reasonably comfy camper for me +poodle to travel independently for several days, but my goal is to expand my range both in time SOB and # of passengers I can carry with me --> LaBus!

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 02:46 PM

very nice,, well thought out
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 04:23 PM

That's very similar to the way I have mine set up, tho I have an 8' long camper with a 4' extended over-cap storage compartment.

I love it!!!! :biggrin:

Barry
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 04:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
That's very similar to the way I have mine set up, tho I have an 8' long camper with a 4' extended over-cap storage compartment.

I love it!!!! :biggrin:

Barry

Yeah- mine's a baby truck. The B-4000 has lots of power (4L/6 cyclinder), but small size. (It actually rides better with the added weight in the back.)

When I set it up 2 yrs. ago I figured: I'm 5'7" and poodle is under 20 lbs, and most of our trips are under a week so we don't need a ton of storage, and rarely have people join us. (I even took out the tiny seats behind the driver/passenger in the extended cab for a little more storage space up front.)

So far, we have managed well with this micro-rig. (Maybe I'll tow it behind La Bus?)

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 05:32 PM

so perfect for Baja.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
POPEYE-SCOTT

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 06:18 PM

What else could a person want? Looks awesome.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 06:41 PM

In my case, it is "perfect" for the two of us. Everything other than two folding camp-chairs is stowed either in the over-cab compartment, or in the two bed boxes, leaving the rest of the available space relatively free of stuff. We have 6 foot bars suspended 3 inches down from the ceiling over each bed where we drape our clothes at night. We also have a tiny porta-pottie that sits up by the cab in the aisle during the day, but we move back by the rear door while sleeping (a concession to the wife). Two plyboard components fit over the aisle if we want a queen size bed platform, held in place by recessed brackets, but we often don't even use them. More than 2 people is problematic for this type rig, IMO. There is a full window-size pass-thru opening between the cab and the camper, sealed off from weather/wind by a boot---the window-glass is permanently removed. We have a vent-fan in the camper roof that produces positive air-pressure in the camper to keep out any dust from seeping in the rear door while driving, and it works great.

Barry
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 07:36 PM

I imagine that the older Callen Campers will become more valuable as they were great campers that could be worth more as time goes on. They were good and very good for being customized.

.....We also have a tiny porta-pottie that sits up by the cab in the aisle during the day, but we move back by the rear door while sleeping (a concession to the wife). ......

Barry

HEY I am on the side of your wife! It is not a concession, it is a necessity! Our new camper HAD to include a small porta-pottie but it fits inside a cupboard during the day. :lol::lol::lol: Okay, John also thinks of it as a concession.

BTW-- took a short hike up part of the Sawmill Pass trail --- great road to get there between Aberdeen and Independence --- and back down in Independence, we saw the sign for the upcoming Grocers' Co-op. Hope it works.

Whale-Itsa Nice set-up and can't wait to see what you do with the bus.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 07:47 PM

you need some air bags in the back. look up Air-Lift. your rig is looking like it's popping a wheelie! it ain't safe....

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 07:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
I imagine that the older Callen Campers will become more valuable as they were great campers that could be worth more as time goes on. They were good and very good for being customized.

.....We also have a tiny porta-pottie that sits up by the cab in the aisle during the day, but we move back by the rear door while sleeping (a concession to the wife). ......

Barry

HEY I am on the side of your wife! It is not a concession, it is a necessity! Our new camper HAD to include a small porta-pottie but it fits inside a cupboard during the day. :lol::lol::lol: Okay, John also thinks of it as a concession.

BTW-- took a short hike up part of the Sawmill Pass trail --- great road to get there between Aberdeen and Independence --- and back down in Independence, we saw the sign for the upcoming Grocers' Co-op. Hope it works.

Whale-Itsa Nice set-up and can't wait to see what you do with the bus.

I believe that the official "Sawmill Pass trail" actually starts from the Division Creek road, but that is way too far north of Sawmill for me--------. I have never done that trail, but hear it is a bugger as it is steep, sandy, and exposed to the sun for a longgggg way. I hear some very nice Country up there, however. You can (and we have) driven right to the base of Sawmill Canyon, but you cannot hike up the canyon as it is impassable from there, I think. The actual trail is north of the Canyon, at least for the first long part of it.

In '82 I paid $1300 bucks for my custom-designed CALLEN at their El Cajon Factory, and thought it mind-bogglingly expensive--------what a joke today. :lol: My kid would NEVER let me sell it, however.

Barry

Barry
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
you need some air bags in the back. look up Air-Lift. your rig is looking like it's popping a wheelie! it ain't safe....

Yeah, I noticed that too. I had to put add-a-leafs on mine to level it out, and now it rides great!!

Barry
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 08:08 PM

Barry, yes, it was the Division Creek road --- we drove by the sign for the Sawmill Pass Trail. And the trail we took for a ways basically followed that pretty creek. Beautiful day --- summer time would be AWFUL. Love that country!

1982? $1300.00 was a lot of money back then! But now, when you break that down by how many years it has lasted, well I think it is CHEAP.

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 08:39 PM

Woody- It already has air bags.

Also a lift kit, added suspension and larger/wider wheels/tires, so it rides a few inches higher than a standard model truck. (The extra clearance comes in handy, even tho it's not a 4X4.)

Maybe the odd angle is from the way it's parked and/or camera perspective?

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-7-2015 at 09:01 PM

perhaps!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.