BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Mulege North River Road Project?
Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2015 at 01:47 PM
Mulege North River Road Project?

Looking for an update on how the river road project is coming long? Spent our month there listening to the "sounds" of progress. Do not mind at all...if it holds up better than the unfinished malecon did. Certainly impressive the amount of rocks and fill going in. Curious what the final design outcome will be? We are semi joking we should make a special trip down when it is finished before hurricane season comes!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2015 at 03:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Estrella  
We are semi joking we should make a special trip down when it is finished before hurricane season comes!

I can't imagine any construction project along the river lasting long. The new road crossing the river under the highway bridge didn't last long, maybe a year.

Here's hurricane John's water output flowing down the river.

[Edited on 3-8-2015 by SFandH]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-8-2015 at 04:07 PM

That' a pretty short palm tree in the front center. Hardly any trunk at all!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-8-2015 at 04:24 PM

The plan is to pave the road all the way to El Patron. Deep footings are being put in, real road base is going down, it is being made wider...I drive it at least once a day. Amazing how much progress is being made. A"scenic bypass" was created up the canyon and back down close to Sauls...I'll be glad when its finished....Chili cook off was today...nap time...

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-8-2015 at 05:24 PM

After all those beans Chuck, you must be exhaust...... ed. ;)

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2015 at 05:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

...holy CWAPP!...isn't the highway usually ~50' above the water level there!? :o

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-9-2015 at 06:58 AM

Ches...

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2015 at 07:23 AM

For those that don't know about Mulege flooding, here are 3 short videos of the flood caused by tropical storm (not hurricane) Julio.

[Edited on 3-9-2015 by SFandH]
Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2015 at 09:41 AM

We have to also give credit to the Mulege Bridge! Does anyone know it's history? Driving down every year we have experienced a lot of bridge failure in Baja Norte but our bridge design has stood stung. Yes the road under it has come and gone and tends to look different every year but the Bridge has seen and withstood four catastrophic flood events in very recent history. History anyone?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-9-2015 at 09:49 AM

It was built about 1971/72 for the Transpeninsular Highway (which was paved north to Santa Rosalia in 1972. Previously, a little bridge is how one got across the river...

1970 map showing the the new roadbed from Loreto to Santa Rosalia, but no big bridge in Mulege...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 3-9-2015 at 09:56 AM
Bridge

Does anyone remember when the Drunk on Duty Muleje Cop ran his Police truck off that Bridge and luckily Lived to talk about it. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 3-9-2015 at 10:33 AM

sad to see you leaving the neighborhood, maxx...staying in la paz?..pulling all the plugs?

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-9-2015 at 10:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by J.P.  
Does anyone remember when the Drunk on Duty Muleje Cop ran his Police truck off that Bridge and luckily Lived to talk about it. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yes, I heard the story when having breakfast at the old Hacienda one day. A wild event to be sure. Quite a few of us stopped at that same spot and were amazed he managed to survive.

I have another story about the bridge..from when it was being built.

I was told this story by Don Johnson at the Serinadad one day.

When the Mulege bridge was just being built there was a retired CIA fellow who rented a house on the north side of town. His normal daily routine was to drive his battered Jeep Commando Roadster across the river on the old crossing and continue on to the Serinadad for his breakfast.

When crossing the river, however, where all the many workers were laboring on the new bridge...he would stop and get out to spend some time. Looking at all the bridge workers toiling away, he started to whistle loudly the tune from the movie, "Bridge on the River Kwai".

It was a snappy tune and everyone seemed pleased with it. He did this for many days, and the workers came to know the tune themselves...and soon would stop working to whistle it along with this happy man when he appeared and stopped his Jeep.

This became a daily event...and caused some small grief.

The construction boss finally had to politely ask the Jeep Man to not stop and whistle anymore, as the daily whistling break was putting a delay on the bridge-work.

Mulege has always been a place for unusual events...;)

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2015 at 11:22 AM

Are there any pictures of the previous bridge? Or construction of current bridge?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-9-2015 at 11:41 AM

Are there any pictures of the previous bridge? Or construction of current bridge?

Estrella, I probably have some...I'll rummage thru my photo morgue and post here if I run across any. I used to stop at the old crossing in the shallow water and wash my El Camino...and I recall taking a photo of that.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2015 at 11:42 AM

From Cliff Cross, 1970 Baja Guide

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2015 at 11:46 AM

Wow...thank you! Looking forward to more of this part of Mulege's story,
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2015 at 12:09 PM

Here is a page and map of Mulege from the 1970 book:

Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2015 at 09:38 AM

Anyone have current pictures of what is happening on The North Rio Road? We've been wondering if they are going to continue using the upper "Scenic Hill Bypass" just west of Huerta Chano's?
alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2015 at 07:57 PM

I know well the cop that went over the bridge and survived he got the name "gato volador" in gringo language "the fliying cat",
He has done some work for me through the years, his name is Jose, will not mention last name. He is back as a cop again.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.