BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Does the Sea of Cortez stand a chance??
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 03:57 PM
Does the Sea of Cortez stand a chance??

http://pulitzercenter.org/projects/sea-of-cortez-aquaculture...

[Edited on 3-17-2015 by SFandH]
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 04:05 PM

Thanks brotha, I guess Doug or another Mod must be mad at me and won't let me post info AAhh!! #2*8&7#5 em!!

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 04:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Does the Sea of Cortez stand a chance??

no. it is already toast.

for a recent book that describes some of the changes, read "TELLING OUR WAY TO THE SEA, A Voyage of Discovery in the Sea of Cortez"
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 04:22 PM

That's my feeling too. It's going to be raped until it's dead. It might come back after, maybe. Geez, I'm generally an optimist.

Does anybody know? Are there regulations in place that are being enforced that will prevent over-fishing, pollution?

[Edited on 3-17-2015 by SFandH]
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 04:31 PM

True article, except for the fact that the author is no journalist or wordsmith by any means. Again, (personal pet peeve) they use the word "decimate" in the same sentence as "almost totally gone" describing species destruction.

"DECIMATE" is derived from Latin and means, "Reduced By One-Tenth". It has such a strong ring to it, but takes away credibility from the writer.

Enough soap-box. The rest is true, except from the quote about the shrimpers tossing 4 lbs of jetsam for every pound of catch. I had understood it was SEVEN to ONE, even worse.

To the original question, yes... I believe the SOC will survive.... but not until Mother takes care of the original problem; US. There will be a recovery period, a few thousand years if not a little more, but all will return to the natural swing of things once cleansed of its' current scourge. Too many nay-sayers and too far gone down the road to turn it all around now, to do so would be to prolong the problem. Mean-time, on with the 30+ page show~!

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 04:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
True article, Mean-time, on with the 30+ page show~!

Thanks guys That's all the opinions I need Time to close the thread

azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 05:15 PM

Mexico does have federal environmental regulatory agency, however, it is mired down in corruption and lack of funds. I personally have seen some representatives take action on occasion, but not often enough nor consistently. It does tend to swing into some sort of action when tourist interests are effected. However in reality, the damage that has already been done will take years to rectify. For those of us that are not citizens of Mexico , it is difficult for example, to tell a fisherman that he should let some of the smaller fish live when he is trying to feed his family. The best we can do is act in a sustainable manner ourselves, ie letting the small fish grow so they can mature and reproduce. It is not out of line to explain another "non citizen " how they can do things differently and why. Don't be part of the problem. I know I will cause a firestorm here, but I have seen pictures posted here on BN of people with fish they in no way should have kept.
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 05:37 PM

index.jpeg - 8kB

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 05:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by azucena  
Mexico does have federal environmental regulatory agency, however, it is mired down in corruption and lack of funds. I personally have seen some representatives take action on occasion, but not often enough nor consistently. It does tend to swing into some sort of action when tourist interests are effected. However in reality, the damage that has already been done will take years to rectify. For those of us that are not citizens of Mexico , it is difficult for example, to tell a fisherman that he should let some of the smaller fish live when he is trying to feed his family. The best we can do is act in a sustainable manner ourselves, ie letting the small fish grow so they can mature and reproduce. It is not out of line to explain another "non citizen " how they can do things differently and why. Don't be part of the problem. I know I will cause a firestorm here, but I have seen pictures posted here on BN of people with fish they in no way should have kept.

well said,, this is a very complex problem, so many things need to be addressed and confronted, its not going to be an easy fix
but I do believe the damage can be reversed,
I do think gringos have gotten the message about fishing,, catch and release for one, and only keep what your going to consume
not all, but its catching on very well
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 06:48 PM

Not you, but when you paste anything here instead of typing it here, it cannot have any quotations or apostrophes... software glitch. No Spanish letters or accent marks either, typed or pasted.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 07:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
True article, except for the fact that the author is no journalist or wordsmith by any means. Again, (personal pet peeve) they use the word "decimate" in the same sentence as "almost totally gone" describing species destruction.

"DECIMATE" is derived from Latin and means, "Reduced By One-Tenth". It has such a strong ring to it, but takes away credibility from the writer.
!

Just and FYI, if you actually look up the word decimate, it has more than one definition. According to Merriam Webster, the full definition is:

Transitive verb,
1 to select by lot and kill every tenth man
2 to exact a tax of 10 percent from...
3 to reduce drastically especially in number
4 to cause great destruction or harm to

So I think the author has used the word correctly, maybe that will restore his credibility. Now back to the topic.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 12:02 AM

This is just one sector, fishes. Control of atmospheric pollution is out of "our" hands. The biggest CO/CO2 emitter in the world is not the US anymore, it's China. And you can be sure they don't care sh-t about any regulations, their emissions have tripled in the last few years, while emissions by the US are flat or even decreased. These emissions increase sea water acidity - globally. Including SOC. Plus, they affect the ozone hole, the climate change, but hey - nobody believes these tales anyway, it's all made up by crazy greenpiece yippies, right?...
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 12:36 AM

The decimation has been witnessed here on nomads for years.

How many photos have you seen of over a hundred pounds of yellowtail laying side by side and been told not to worry - nothing is going to waste. How myopic is that?

And then there are the tuna people at Ensenada netting sardines, the food of yellowtail, throughout the peninsula in order to feed their penned tuna.

Baja is getting hammered.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 07:48 AM

Regulation without effective enforcement gives an advantage to those who cheat.
Enforcement without ethical oversite adds more players, and even more advantage to the cheaters.
A cultural shift in the population of Mexico, and in their government is what it will take to stop the decline.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 08:02 AM
..and before the YT

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
The decimation has been witnessed here on nomads for years.

How many photos have you seen of over a hundred pounds of yellowtail laying side by side and been told not to worry - nothing is going to waste. How myopic is that?

And then there are the tuna people at Ensenada netting sardines, the food of yellowtail, throughout the peninsula in order to feed their penned tuna.

Baja is getting hammered.

and 50+ years ago

Bob Durrell
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 01:35 PM

Has anybody read any reputable articles on the impact to the SOC of the Colorado River not running into it anymore? That would seem to me to really effect (diminish?) the salinity and nutrient-level of at least the north end of the SOC?!?!?!?

Barry
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 02:28 PM

I've posted several times about the effect of the loss of the Colorado. The early visitors to the delta area (pre-dams) reported incredibly verdant riparian life, literally millions of flamingos, as well as the subsequent loss of nutrient-rich soil that was deposited each spring/summer by run-offs well over 100,00 c.f.s., which was (key word = WAS) the sustaining factor of one of the richest delta eco-systems in the world. Now, reduced to a literal sea-desert, brackish alkalai flats and a dead world. This in itself probably contributed to half the loss of sea life in the northern part of the SOC. Sorry, I don't have corroborating sites and quotes to back my story up; but being intrinsically joined at the hip with the Colorado Plateau and ecosystem since 1977 you'll just have to take my word for it.

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 02:52 PM

Just wondering how the wonderful sea survived when Nature cut the flow many times in the past, for 100's or 1000's of years at a time? Our big dams have only been on the river less than 100 years.

Of course there is another solution! Actually TWO solutions...

Enjoy!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 03:15 PM
---

With the desertification of SoCal, the new information on warm water beneath the antarctic breaking huge quantities of ice off (sea water level increase BIG time), what now is becoming the question is: To drown by desert or drown by ocean?

The SOC although we see it from shore and consider it from our limited viewpoint is part of the world's water and should be looked at from a macro perspective also.

Here is an article which includes the satellite world water watch station in Hawaii.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-31943633#
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 03:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Just wondering how the wonderful sea survived when Nature cut the flow many times in the past, for 100's or 1000's of years at a time? Our big dams have only been on the river less than 100 years.

*sigh* Again, DK's inevitable 'man vs. god' debate on 'we ain't doin' nothing wrong'. Yes, the dams have only been there less than 100 years and have caused an amazing devastation in a very short time. Yes, the river has diverted and been dammed by lava flows several times in geologic history, and i'm sure there were great changes, possibly cataclysmic then, too.

But, this time, it's OUR DOING.

And, if you would've read an earlier post of mine on this thread, I did predict the SOC will be just fine and recover albeit maybe somewhat altered once Mother sees fit to remove the current blight.

By the way, eaten any shrimp lately? I don't.

86 - 45*

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.