Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: pay toilets in baja
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 08:39 PM
pay toilets in baja

I gotta share this!
we were up foolin around in laguna hanson today and took the road out to rumorosa and hit the OXXO for a couple beers. they have built the most beautiful stainless steel in and out coin operated turnstile imaginable, must have cost thousands of dollars! you put your 5 pesos into a machine and unlocks the "in" turnstile, but of course the "out" turnstile turns freely. didn't take folks long to figure how to "pee freely":lol:

Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 08:52 PM

You must be joking, right?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 09:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
You must be joking, right?

no! and what the picture doesn't show is for the folks that can't figure the go in thru the out door, there was a open door to the bathrooms around the corner!:lol:
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 09:14 PM

Will take a lot of pesos to pay for that setup
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-17-2015 at 09:37 PM

Yeah,,,but was there any TP?

A few years ago I was motorcycling through Michoacan and ate some toxic carnitas in Mazamitla. 24 hours later I was a few pounds lighter and a lot weaker. The road towards Colima was beautiful....and so was the sight of a Pemex with a clean bathroom in Tuxpan.

What made the day was a full roll of TP, paper hand towels, and clean toilet seat/stall.

All for free.....:cool:

Don't believe everything you think....
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 01:46 AM

WE still carry a roll of T,P. in the car. Holdover from the day when the nastiest place on the road was a Pemex toilet.:lol:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 05:38 AM

same thing at the bus station in Ensenada and tj...
bring pesos...but I think it was 3 or 4

the toilet paper is outside the restrooms...you HAVE to get that first
don't forget : )

I didn't like it...kinda creepy...you're locked in with other people and the rooms are BIG

its a good idea...the restrooms are CLEAN!!!

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 05:59 AM

There are only a couple of things I stockpile when headed south for the winter, and one of 'em is TP. Nothing compares to Northern double-ply... Mexicano papel I call "John Wayne TP"... it's rough and tough, and doesn't take any chit off of anybody. Always a spare half-roll of Northern in the truck.

That's just a hoot about the 'out' turnstile not having a back-stop mechanism. :lol:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 08:46 AM

There are now other uses for the fancy stainless steel public restrooms on the streets of Seattle:

High-tech public toilets going to waste, city told
Fancy facilities are used for drugs, prostitution

By KERY MURAKAMI, P-I REPORTER

Jack Gray and the other homeless men who sat in Pioneer Square's Occidental Park say they go to the mission when nature calls. Or to the Starbucks.

Anywhere, they say, besides one of the city's fancy automated public toilets -- two years old and just on the other side of the park.

"The crack heads are always in there," Gray said.

The decadelong debate over giving people public toilets downtown appeared to be over when the Seattle City Council decided in 2004 to spend nearly $700,000 a year to maintain five high-tech toilets downtown and on Broadway in Capitol Hill.

But these days, local businesses say the toilets have only made things worse. Not only have they become a haven for drug dealers and prostitutes, but the streets are filled with more urine and feces than before, according to Seattle merchants and members of the Metropolitan Improvement District.

The organization, funded by downtown businesses to clean and patrol streets, wants Seattle to flush the state-of-the art toilets -- even if the city has to eat roughly $820,000 to dispose of them and break its maintenance contract.

But representatives of Seattle Public Utilities, the agency responsible for overseeing the toilets, said they're doing some good and will improve next month.

A camera will go up outside one of the toilets to deter criminals, though the utility hasn't selected one yet, said Sandy Kraus, the project manager.

It also plans to pass a rule barring more than one person from being inside a toilet at the same time, unless helping a child or a handicapped person, she said.

City Attorney Tom Carr, who said earlier this week that the city should "just cut its losses" and get rid of the toilets, reneged Wednesday and said through a spokeswoman that the utility's plan is worth a try.

But City Councilman Tom Rasmussen wants the utility company to plan for what to do if the city ditches the toilets.

"They've become dens of illegal behavior," he said.

In addition to the Capitol Hill and Occidental Park toilets, there are some in Hing Hay Park, Victor Steinbrueck Park and on the waterfront next to the Seattle Aquarium.

City Councilman Richard Conlin, who voted in favor of acquiring the toilets in 2001, agreed.

"They haven't worked out the way we'd hoped. ... We're going to have to go back to the drawing board," he said.

Certainly council members hadn't envisioned the scene Wednesday on First Avenue, between Pike and Pine streets, outside the Eco-Elements store.

Inside, there were environmentally friendly lotions.

In the doorway, there was a large piece of human feces.

Reggie Smith, the improvement district's field supervisor, pulled up in a truck with a shovel and collected the waste in a black garbage bag, before spraying the doorway with water and a sanitizer.

"It's human," said Smith, who installed phone lines for Qwest before being laid off then hired by the district.

He'd gotten 21 total calls from district ambassadors Tuesday and Wednesday about garbage, urine, feces and vomit. The ambassadors patrol downtown streets daily.

Smith said the automated toilets he sees always seem to have drug dealers in front, forcing people to find somewhere else to go. "And I guess when you have to go, you have to go."

Peggy Dreisinger, the improvement district's field operations director, said that since the automatic toilets were installed two years ago, 7,418 occurrences of human waste have been reported and cleaned up.

"In the two years prior to the installation, the number is just over 2,400," she said.

The automated flushing toilets are enclosed with a locking door that automatically opens after 10 minutes. A minute earlier, a voice warns that time is nearly up. Once vacant, fluid is sprayed to clean the roomy chamber, avoiding the toilet paper, for the next patron.

www.seattlepi.com/local/article/High-tech-public-toilets...

Bob Durrell
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 09:06 AM
Banos at PEMEX are always clean ...

..until the first time they are used

Bob Durrell
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 01:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
There are only a couple of things I stockpile when headed south for the winter, and one of 'em is TP. Nothing compares to Northern double-ply... Mexicano papel I call "John Wayne TP"... it's rough and tough, and doesn't take any chit off of anybody. Always a spare half-roll of Northern in the truck

I used to do the same thing...but
I did a test and the petalo Mexican brand actually breakes up better and is about the same tinsel strength

I now buy locally...way better...it takes up so much room

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2015 at 09:23 PM

I remember that we once had a thread going on the cleanest bathrooms as you head south -

the only Pemex restroom that is abominable is the one in san Ignacio. Filthy, no paper, no soap and a slight hint of water from the sink.

that is one fancy bathroom - at the rate they are going it will NEVER be paid off.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.