Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Caravan Styles
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 09:22 PM
Baja Caravan Styles

While driving northward from La Ribera to the border we encountered 2 types of travelers caravaning northward. The first group was encountered just south of Loreto on Tuesday afternoon and again today in Catavina. These people were on street bikes and many wore jackets with Eagle Rider printed on them. Many bikes were ridden tandem. After doing a Google search this evening it appears that this is some kind of tour group business.

The one thing I can say with certainty is that except for about 3 bikes, these people were totally oblivious that other travelers were on the road. Not only did they ride bunched up to make passing them a hazardous effort, they rode well below the accepted speed that most other drivers were driving.

At Catavina they had stopped, apparently to gas up from the barrels, and then several pulled directly in front of us as we drove through that area. This second encounter of this group provoked me into a less than safe passing of the entire group that were ahead of me. I am sorry that I did that but I was pi---d off and they still had their heads up in the shade. Probably still do. On the first encounter south of Loreto, there were maybe 5 vans virtually bumper to bumper leading these lost "ducklings" along the road. I would tend to blame their leaders for not giving instructions on how they might space themselves to allow others the option of passing without causing danger to either party.

On the encounter with about 12 or so RV's that were caravaning northward and south of El Rosario, in contrast to the motorcycle riders, ALL of these large RVs were smart enough or more alert to their surroundings and allowed plenty of spacing between their rigs so that others could easily and safely pass when conditions allowed. This group was, I think, Baja Winters. Cudos to these wagonmasters for educating their clients in reasonable road courtesy.

The difference in the tactics shown by these two groups could not be more different. One group would tend to aggravate many solo drivers while the other would not be an issue at all. Go Figure, different strokes.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 11:02 PM

Harley riders are like that....:rolleyes:

Riding in formation like that is stupid in my humble opinion (some pirate will chime in defending it somehow....).

However, my experience with RV caravans isn't much different...

It's a group thing, I think.....they become absorbed in their collective and are less independent.

Harley Davidson: A t-shirt company that sells motorcycles:lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2015 at 11:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Harley riders are like that....:rolleyes:

Riding in formation like that is stupid in my humble opinion (some pirate will chime in defending it somehow....).

However, my experience with RV caravans isn't much different...

It's a group thing, I think.....they become absorbed in their collective and are less independent.

Harley Davidson: A t-shirt company that sells motorcycles:lol:

That Harley quote is going to get you into a lot of hot water from aging accountants and lawyers wearing chaps and acting tough on weekends with their straight pipes!!!!
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 12:00 AM

RHT,
Yeah.....I'm ready for the outrage :cool:

Rugged loners expressing their unique individuality....riding like shriners in a parade all dressed the same.

Nothing wrong with Harleys.....80% of them ever sold are still on the road..........the rest of them made it home. :biggrin:

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 06:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
RHT,
Yeah.....I'm ready for the outrage :cool:

Rugged loners expressing their unique individuality....riding like shriners in a parade all dressed the same.

Nothing wrong with Harleys.....80% of them ever sold are still on the road..........the rest of them made it home. :biggrin:

That's a great quote. hahaha
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 06:47 AM
Bike Group

Has a similar encounter a couple of weeks ago about 10 miles south of El Rosario. Rode as a group and wouldn't pull over to let traffic pass. Asked about them when everybody stopped at the Baja Cactus PEMEX and learned that they were mostly from the Netherlands on rented Harleys.

We filled up and headed north before them............also see large groups like that with a chase van full of luggage headed through Ensenada on a regular basis..........

Most of the bikes had Montana registration/plates

[Edited on 3-20-2015 by bajaguy]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 07:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Floatflyer  
While driving northward from La Ribera to the border we encountered 2 types of travelers caravaning northward. The first group was encountered just south of Loreto on Tuesday afternoon and again today in Catavina. These people were on street bikes and many wore jackets with Eagle Rider printed on them. Many bikes were ridden tandem. After doing a Google search this evening it appears that this is some kind of tour group business.

The one thing I can say with certainty is that except for about 3 bikes, these people were totally oblivious that other travelers were on the road. Not only did they ride bunched up to make passing them a hazardous effort, they rode well below the accepted speed that most other drivers were driving.

At Catavina they had stopped, apparently to gas up from the barrels, and then several pulled directly in front of us as we drove through that area. This second encounter of this group provoked me into a less than safe passing of the entire group that were ahead of me. I am sorry that I did that but I was pi---d off and they still had their heads up in the shade. Probably still do. On the first encounter south of Loreto, there were maybe 5 vans virtually bumper to bumper leading these lost "ducklings" along the road. I would tend to blame their leaders for not giving instructions on how they might space themselves to allow others the option of passing without causing danger to either party.

On the encounter with about 12 or so RV's that were caravaning northward and south of El Rosario, in contrast to the motorcycle riders, ALL of these large RVs were smart enough or more alert to their surroundings and allowed plenty of spacing between their rigs so that others could easily and safely pass when conditions allowed. This group was, I think, Baja Winters. Cudos to these wagonmasters for educating their clients in reasonable road courtesy.

The difference in the tactics shown by these two groups could not be more different. One group would tend to aggravate many solo drivers while the other would not be an issue at all. Go Figure, different strokes.

Sounds like you lost your temper. I am glad you did not injure or kill anyone during your road rage.

Y'all need to take a chill pill and be way less uptight!

Peace out!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 09:20 AM

In the late 80's, when fuel and vehicles were a lot cheaper, the convoys were larger and more numerous! That goes for the Alaska highway more so than Mexico.
Summer in Alaska, or winter in Mexico there were a lot of times that when you found yourself as a caboose on the train, it was pointless to risk passing to gain just a few spots in line. Pull outs (when there was one) were never large enough to do much more than shuffle the order of convoy.
Fortunately, the destination was always worth it!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 07:26 PM

MtGoat:Glad to see that you can comment on how I reacted to these inconsiderate and clueless jerks when you have no first hand knowledge and only my abbreviated description on what happene!

Maybe if I am very lucky I could gain some of your wonderful insight on happenings I am not involved in. I might suggest that you limit your criticisms to something you might know something about.

The purpose of my post was to get others to consider how their actions might affect those they encounter and to lessen the impact of stereotypes. I have a bias on motorcycles but refrained from needlessly commenting. This could have just as easily been skateboarders impeding other travelers for no good reason except ignorance.

[Edited on 3-22-2015 by Floatflyer]
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 07:58 PM

FF,
Hey I have a bias about motorcycles too.....I love them,.....just don't like anything that gets in my way and personal sense of urgency :biggrin:

Now , back to those skateboarders......I hate it when they think they can use any mall as their playground.....what's wrong with their parents anyways?

And don't even get me started on folks on bicycles on Baja roads :lol:

[Edited on 3-21-2015 by motoged]

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-20-2015 at 09:00 PM

Floatflyer, I've made a few round trips on the Baja Road myself...ever since the first blacktop was laid. I wish now I had kept a log of each trip, but I have lots of photos anyway.

If I were in your place when those impolite and dangerous bikers were bunched up and making passing impossible, I would have been peeed off royally. No excuse for that kind of behavior, even for first timers. Makes me wonder if they do it in their own country without being ticketed?

Like you, I have found over the years that the sheparded RV convoys are considerate of traffic, make open passing spaces, pull over when they should, and make use of CB radios to moniter and alert the group about traffic. We've seen many convoys and never had a big problem getting around them safely. It figures, because those large-RV drivers are usually very experienced with their rigs. Makes for a cautious and safe driver who will help me get around him.

Thanks for the heads-up on the bunched-up road hazard. And I hope that group gets the message, too.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.