Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Dog story I - update with pics 5/15/15
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 06:59 PM
Dog story I - update with pics 5/15/15

Yesterday at 3am, there was a loud yelp / howl which we thought was a coyote. It sounded really close and it went on and on so Les got up to investigate. What did he see but the cutest tiniest puppy.

So we got a box, and a blankie and set it inside where it promptly went to sleep. Next door to our school is the police station and we have a deal: whenever I find abandoned dogs, I take it to them and we work to find a home.

Left dog, taught all day, checked in on nameless puppy and he was still sleeping.....a growing dog needs beauty rest!

Today - about an hour ago, a couple comes up to the house and says : "Are you Blanca that feeds stray dogs?"

I am indeed Blanca I answer.

We are from Canada and are visiting Baja and want to adopt a dog!

After I picked up my jaw from the floor, I call the police station and one of the guards says her mom owns the Momma Dog and she had puppy with her and would happily meet us at the station to hand over nameless puppy.

On the way over, we see this sight- the local kids are now walking their dogs .... I have been on a mission to make a dog's life better and I have plenty of stories that I will tell another day but check these kids out:

When we get to the station - the guard was there and here is the pic of the couple - her name is Majica and I didn't get his but is this PERFECT or WHAT??????????????

So, puppy will either be named TACO or BURRITO and I, for one, can sleep much better tonight and taco burrito too.

[Edited on 5-16-2015 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 07:01 PM

I do apologize for the haze on the photos .... I will get the q-tip immediately and clean that lens!

editing to say that they will take puppy to santa rosalia for the proper vaccinations

they asked if Taco Burrito was too young to fix at 3 months? anyone know the right time to "fix"?

[Edited on 3-25-2015 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 07:13 PM

Are you Blanca of BOLA? I know a Blanca there who is a dog's best friend! Much appreciated!
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 07:35 PM

GRACIAS Blanca, a great read, very heartwarming. Love the picture of the young Mexican boys with their best friends. Keep up the good work.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 08:05 PM
When to spay?

I used to believe that it was best to let a dog go through the first heat before spaying, but my veterinarian convinced me that it would be better for the dog, and me to do it before then. I recently had a six month old 50 pound mixed breed spayed, and I am glad I didn't wait until she got even larger and rowdier.
I don't know if three months is old enough, but I would not even consider spaying unless they are going to be in a place where they can keep the dog still, and be able to check in with the vet for a week or more.
I had been thinking about adopting another dog on my next trip, but agreed to keep pup for a young family until they had a home they could keep her in, or until they found someone to adopt her. That was four months ago, I think they found someone (me)!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Nappo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 08:27 PM

Great story Blanca. My wife and I are suckers for dogs...Our beloved pet "Archie" was on death row in Rosarito Beach when Baja Animal Sanctuary rescued him. Great under bite, but wow, what an awesome addition to our life - sweetest most loving dog we've had. Everyone in our neighborhood knows Archie and just loves him as he does them. Thanks for your caring about the dogs there. I remember a dog outside the little mercado we went to for supplies just down the road from you, white kind of pit bullish dog, but such a sweetie. Just stayed there and loved to be petted. So good to see people leashing their dogs and taking care of them. Spay and neuter as soon as possible!
Bless you for taking on one more thing in your "generous giving" life and thanks to the couple for taking burrito/taco to a new "life".

Katiejay99
Nomad

Mood: it is what it is

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 08:53 PM

Blanca, you are a saint! SO good of you to do what you are doing. You are making a difference and that is what matters. I recently acquired a homeless dog and I and him are hugely happy with each other. I swear that dog grins every day he is alive! Great dog.
Katiejay99
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 08:59 PM

Here's my "Bones" before and after. He showed up on my porch one day.....

Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 09:53 PM

May GOD continue to bless those who are kind to animals and old folks
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 09:03 AM

Puppies (and kittens) can be spayed as young as eight weeks. By having it done early, it's easier to prevent more unwanted puppies and kittens.

There's enough of them anyway, and not just in Mexico.
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 09:17 AM

Great stuff Blanca! There is definitely no shortage of dogs in Baja that need help and a loving family!

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 01:11 PM

My vet says spay them before the first heat to avoid breast cancer.

I just took 3 puppies to the humane society. Someone dumped them over a friend's wall in a box.

Anyone in my area.....we will be having a spay/neuter clinic here in La Choya the week after Semana santa. I will make a separate post with the particulars when I have them. But it will be right across the street from my house.

[Edited on 3-25-2015 by bajajudy]

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 02:25 PM

Blanca --- great job. I love seeing those kids paying attention to their dogs. So many are just tied up and forgotten.

Katiejay99 Bones sure picked the correct porch! He sure looks like he did not have long to do. Wow, what a difference. Lucky dog that he found you.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 03:24 PM

today I saw the couple and the dog at the santa rosalia vet...

their dog looks fine

my dog on the other hand has a toothache...
couple of shots and she'll be fine

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 04:57 PM

you saw them! thanks for letting us know. they were the sweetest couple. and that dog was precious.

all of you should post pics of the pups -and I still call our Rex puppy after 8 years ..... I will hunt for one of him.

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 05:01 PM

sorry bausautter - I am a different Blanca

We live in Baja Calif. Sur in a tiny village called LA BOCANA. We are all of 5 gringoes living here!

great news on being able to spay / neuter when they are quite young.

Come visit La Bocana

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 06:33 PM

Hello Blanca from LA BOCANA. You and "Blanca from BOLA" ( I will show her this thread next time I visit) are two of the most special people in Baja. I am bringing a 50 lb bag of dog food to the other Blanca to celebrate what you two do!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 08:01 PM

good job! thanks.

Come visit La Bocana

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2015 at 07:03 PM

Popping in to say WOW on the original story - Go Blanca!!
And OMGoodness Katiejayy that is incredible. Good on you :bounce:

Katiejay99
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2015 at 07:54 PM

I didn't want to hijack her thread, but "Bones" is truly incredible. He was on the absolute point of death, in fact I thought he was dead. I called a friend of mine to actually have him put down but my friend looked at him trying so hard to eat and told me to wait a day or two to see how he did.

His first trip to go to the bathroom he fell down several times and my heart went out to him. You can't tell but his hip is dislocated. After a week I took him to the Vet and got him on some vitamins. Then came the de-worming and finally neutered. I have no idea where he came from. One morning he was here. The picture I shared is 5 minutes after I found him.

Now I swear that dogs grins. He LOVES life and even though nothing could be done for his hip, he doesn't seem to mind. He saved himself. I didn't rescue him, I just cared for him. He's still here being a goofy dog and loads of fun. The Vet thinks he is about 2 years old.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.