Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Good/Bad Dog Story
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2015 at 10:46 AM
Good/Bad Dog Story

Once many years ago while building Rancho Sonrisa I went down to the president Hotel for Saturday Nite Dinner and Music.
I was approached by a couple of Americans who informed me that they had picked up a Puppu on the road standing by her Mother who had been hit and killed by a car.
They had taken the Puppy to their Hotel Room but could not take her back to the States. They ask if i would take her and i
gladly did so.
I named the Puppy Hueso as she was of Great Dane and other mix and all BONES.
I was with my Mother and a Friend in their Vechile so decided to take her back to the States.

she was a great Fog. When I would fly down she would get into the Plane set up in the seat for Take off and when reaching flight level she would lay down and and sleep all the way to Loreto
I kept her at Rancho Sonrisa for 3 years and she is still buried there very Deep.
I had another Dog, a Black Lab Mix and they were great Together.

Now the BAD Part.

At that time in Loreto there were lots of stree Cogs and several Pack that were starting to bother the kids on the beaches and the Streets, so our Major decided to take action and hired a guy from Villa Constitution to come over and take care of getting rid of the Dogs.
He proceeded to take Winers load them with Strikcnine and throw them to all Dogs that were in the streets even sometimes in Yards.
Then he would come by later and take them out to the Dump area close to the Cathouse.
I went out a couple of times an counted 250 Deceased Dogs.
One of those was my Hueso!!!!

When I was not fishing I would take the Dogs for a walk up North to the Cathouse and the Ladies would feed and play with them. Somewhere along the way Hueso got a piece of the Poisn and died in front of me on the Road.
The Dog Killer was told to leave town or be shot.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2015 at 11:45 AM

Skeeter, thanks for the memory. Still happens down here all over. First you see early morning lady joggers with machettes, then hear all about the dead dogs and cats.

You told it the way it appears: you left out the pretty lipstick and feathers with your rustic lingua and that's the way it should be told.

Great reminder that more often than not, people over react --- in this little part of Mexico it seems like every good deed has an unspeakable flip side we don't want to talk about around the fire pit.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2015 at 12:18 PM

Osprey Hope I did not offend your Post.

Do you remember when there was Dancin at the Plaza??
It took me several years and finally a Lady with two great Big Girls came over as I was watching and hoping and gave me Permission to Dance with her Daughters. WOW!! from then on all the other girls would dance with me.
They also had Dancin up on the Top Floor of the Court Building, mostly the Big Shots and their Girls.

The "Cathouse I spoke of was the second one built in Loreto. The first one was burned down by the Locals after the Road was finished, the second was further North out by the Airstrip
I got to know the Ladies and they were all very nice, They were required to have a medical Doctor Inspection every Week.

Sure do miss Baja, The People and the Sea.
I can tell by your words that you know and appreciate the good People.
Appreciate you great stories
Skeet/Loreto
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2015 at 12:19 PM

Thank you,

it brought back some of my memories....

During a overnight stay in Mulege, I walked my dog River on a leach, just outside of the large town portal. River picked something from the ground, it was already dark, and I did not see what it was, Within a couple minutes, she started to convulse, very sticky foam around her mouth, and started to shake so bad, she hardly could stand on her legs.
I found a working hose bib at that portal and try to was out her mouth. It didn't help very much, and I carried her back the the hotel - no pets allowed!
Early next morning, one of the hotel staff guided me to a US veterinarian, a wonderful lady, somewhere around the Orchard subdivision.
This great doc and her caring staff of volunteers helped River to survive that poison attack.
That happened in early 2009, River passed away on 1-5-2015, after enriching our lives for 14 wonderful years.
RIP Riverle

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2015 at 12:28 PM

Fernweh:

I can tell by the Lookl in his eyes that he was Great Dog!

One day I was at the little Market in Loreto waiting in the Car for my wife to shop when a scrawy little kitten came over to my door and started wimpering at me, So i just picked her up and took her Home, Named her Brought her up to the States then to Amarillo Texas where I now live. Named her "Guffie" She past away last year at a ripe ole Age.

I feel sorry for those people who do not take the time in their lives to have a Dog or Kitty Cat.

God Bless them All

Skeet.Loreto
Majorcynik

[*] posted on 3-26-2015 at 01:52 PM
Good/bad dog story

Couple years back I had occasion to take my dog (a Baja rescue) to the vet by Cliff's storage south of Mulege. While there I was shootin' the you know what with a gal whose husband was/is the computer guy at Senior Gecko's. (Now, I think he has an internet place of his own in town). Somehow, the conversation got around to the circus and she had a terrible story to relate.
She said, when the circus comes to town, Mulege or other Baja destinations, they send out workers at night to round up the stray dogs. If you can imagine, and most Norte Americanos certainly can't, they FEED the strays to the BIG CATS!! One can only hope that they are dead when fed but, knowing the Mexicans and their barbarity (c-ck and bull fights, beheadings by the cartels, etc.) most likely they are fed alive!! Needless to say I was completely floored. Anyone else??
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-26-2015 at 02:45 PM

Good to see you still kicking Skeet!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2016 at 08:07 AM

Where is Ol' Skeet?

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2016 at 09:13 AM

I think he is eating one of those 72 oz steaks in Amarillo, TX.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-16-2016 at 09:16 AM

Great dod story!!!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-16-2016 at 04:45 PM

A wonderful story, Skeet. I have lately missed your posts here on NOMADS.
My best to you, tho I never actually met you, your stories have always resonated with me and my experiences in Baja.

Wishing you a long and prosperous life.

Barry
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2016 at 05:33 PM

This thread has a bit of time to it, for those who may not have noticed.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2016 at 07:24 PM

This sure started out an older thread but I think we should continue on with dog stories....

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 07:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
This sure started out an older thread but I think we should continue on with dog stories....

Or the street dog situation.

I love dogs and tend to get along with them. I have been attacked by dogs on the public street in Mexico without provocation (though maybe in their mind). None of those cases have been street dogs.

Street dogs, though usually pretty mellow, do occasionally pack up and that becomes dangerous. What SHOULD be done in such cases?

Something needs to be done. I detest poison. Hopefully some bleeding hearts will wrap their arms around all the strays. But I suppose the best approach in lieu of bleeding heart solution is dog catcher and euthanasia, or guns for backyard euthanasia.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.