Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Baja Nomad OP/ED
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 09:19 AM
Baja Nomad OP/ED

This is an OP ED (Opinion and Editorial)

For many years Baja Nomads has been one of my number 1 forums/sites that I visited daily. I found the information regarding Baja informative and interesting.

I have noticed over the past few years that this site has changed. I don't have any statistics, but only my gut feel.

It appears to me that there are fewer "new" posts on a daily basis. I always go to "Today's Posts" to scan for topics. I have started noticing that these topics are not changing as fast as they once did, but they just keep getting longer and longer with politically charged posts. I've also noticed that most of the topics have become far more contentious and politically motivated.

In fact many of the folks that seem to know about Baja, I would not want travel across the border with. It seems that they know a lot about Baja, but have not spent enough time immersed in Mexico to understand the people or the culture. Yea Yea, I know someone will spout off they dropped off a box of food at Coco's Corner, that is great, but not the same.

I find that little by little Baja Nomads has become less and less relevant to the topic at hand and more and more politicized.

Being a life long registered Republican, I consider myself Fiscally Conservative and Socially Liberal. However, between the FAR Left and the Tea Party Far Right, I am beginning to think this has totally polarized the News, and many forums and blogs and left many Dems and Reps in the center somewhere.

A case in point. I have an adult niece who is Gay. I have always been supportive of her even though I do not agree with all of the issues and drama. However, at Christmas while staying in our home in AZ she pulled her soapbox out and started complaining about AZ being full of HomoPhobic, republican, gun toting, Mormons. For those of you who are not aware, in AZ you can carry a concealed weapon with any CCL or training. And yes, I do carry a 9mm in my truck from time to time, I am not a Mormon, but AZ was expanded very much so by the early Mormons.

Of course I had to make the point, "so you want me to support your lifestyle but you can't support my AZ Lifestyle?" Needless to say, that was the last conversation we had.

So, what I am finding, much like our country, this web site and many other web sites, have become so polarized it is causing me to visit many web sites further and further apart.

Now that I am retired and can do what I want, I think I will go down to Mexico and live without news, internet or radio and listen to music from sun rise to sun set.

Enjoy, I know I will, no matter what you think!

PS Going to St. John's VI at the end of April as well.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 09:22 AM

Sounds valid and a good idea... Living in Baja would be nice!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 09:37 AM

I really appreciate the thought and intensity that went in to your post. I too am so tired of the bickering and stupidity that permeates the postings of a large number of people. Perhaps it is indicative of society at large that things are evolving into two separate political camps. It is very much like things were in the time leading up to the civil war where the division was very strong and emotional. Perhaps it is only my perspective but the left seems to disparage and use terms that are designed to make anyone who does not share their perspective to be stupid, uninformed, and hateful. But the right has a tendency treat those who do not agree with an air of superiority that they find very frustrating. If you read Alinsky's book of "Rules for Radicals" you quickly discover that a lot of this discontent and disturbance may well be planned and organized. But it is very disturbing and seeks to further divide the sides that become more antagonistic each and every day.

So your strategy to become more involved in your micro-world and see the relevance of that may well be the best strategy you can come up with.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 09:55 AM

from my middle-left leaning...AMEN Cortezblue.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 10:00 AM

It seems to me that as the two political parties have become more beholden to the same corporations, their strategy has shifted more to polarizing the electorate, to create the false illusion that there are vast differences between them. It also gives them the perfect excuse for maintaining the status quo, and not tackling the big problems we have. When accused of doing nothing, it's very convenient to be able to point the finger at your opponent and declare, "it's all their fault". Maybe it's time the voter wakes up and points the finger and says, "it both your faults, and we're not voting for either one of you." I believe that the lack of civility and the polarization observed here on Baja Nomads, is proof of the effectiveness of corporate mass media indoctrination. If one disagrees with the positions of the Republican talking points, then they are a leftist, libtard, etc., when they call out the president or the Democratic party, then they are accused of being a regressive, redneck, tea bagger. Personally, I believe that both parties need to be called out on many of their tactics and positions, and it's not really constructive to hang labels on people.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 10:03 AM

Bob Durrell
Brett858

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 10:11 AM

"Of course I had to make the point, "so you want me to support your lifestyle but you can't support my AZ Lifestyle?" Needless to say, that was the last conversation we had."

small piece of advice, ignore it if you wish...

The thing that probably made her most upset is that you refer to her being gay as a 'lifestyle choice". The simple fact of the matter is that Gay people don't choose to be gay, they are born gay. it is wired into them to be naturally attracted to the same sex, the same way it's wired into us to be attracted to the opposite sex.

given the amount of persecution that gay people face, do you really think that anyone would simply CHOOSE to be gay ?

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 10:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Brett858  
"Of course I had to make the point, "so you want me to support your lifestyle but you can't support my AZ Lifestyle?" Needless to say, that was the last conversation we had."

small piece of advice, ignore it if you wish...

The thing that probably made her most upset is that you refer to her being gay as a 'lifestyle choice". The simple fact of the matter is that Gay people don't choose to be gay, they are born gay. it is wired into them to be naturally attracted to the same sex, the same way it's wired into us to be attracted to the opposite sex.

given the amount of persecution that gay people face, do you really think that anyone would simply CHOOSE to be gay ?

from my middle left leaning.....Amen Brett858 :saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 11:08 AM

The forum runs on computers, computers need fingers. If the fingers are mostly in Alabama, you eventually get some ideas that posit the position of Alabamans. The Nomad fingers are mostly in California. Cortez, you need to look for a forum titled "Non-Californian's forum about Baja California".

I once thought that the saying "Just because the kittens were born in the oven, don't make em biscuits" was a cute, clever homily but now I doubt me and the author.

I think Baja Nomad could solve the whole thing >> 30 days off the board if you post a political position in the wrong thread. Wait a minute, would that just shut the whole thing down?
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 11:47 AM

Selective reading saves me a lot of frustration;);)

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 11:51 AM

More and more evidence is mounting that liberals and conservatives actually have different brain development. One group show greater development in a part of the brain that allows them process information more readily, and more easily digest new kinds of, and conflicting ideas. Another group, when tested seems to more generally focus on how fearful they become when confronted with new ideas. It is the part of the brain responsible for the "fight or flight" response. (This is a gross over-simplification)
Perhaps because of different brain development, one group tends to be higher educated, free thinkers, educators, scientists and people open to new ideas. They are frequently opposed by those who refer to educated people as elitist and they wish to preserve their comfortable time worn prejudices, myths and superstitions. This group appears to fear unfamiliar things, and especially they fear their god.
I think that liberals are at fault for a lot of the recent conflict between these groups. For generations, while the church and the state were separate, liberals listened to "you have to respect our beliefs" with compassionate acceptance, now that a 100% Christian government has concentrated the nation's wealth in the hands of a tiny super rich minority, and we regularly hear calls for the Bible to be made the law of the land, the response is more likely to be "Like Hell we do!
Some folks, I'm proud to say, are just not going to be satisfied with an Armageddon cult, or other anti-scientific thinking, as the best future prospect for their individual or societal well being.
I believe I have a right to say these things because for months a troll denied my proud service in the military, and slandered me daily with an insane onslaught of fabrications on this forum. I'm not proud of the fact that he succeeded in causing me to stoop to his level. I renew my promise that I won't let that happen again.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 12:11 PM

This ones going to look like all the rest in a few hours.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 12:25 PM
Good topic, Cortez Blue! Thank you.

I am pretty much out of here. It is still a good place to come for Baja related information; road conditions, hotels, weather, restaurants, documents, and history. It has always been a good place to lurk and post when one has helpful information. But the political crap has got to stop. I too have been guilty of offering my political opinions at times, but tried to keep the tone civil and objective. No more! Given the displeasure that is so eloquently offered here by Cortez Blue, it would be hypocritical to ever do that again.

Being a gentleman has to do with how one was raised, and how he conducts his personal life with a sense of ethics. But, as my father used to say, "we have to venture into a world of the great unwashed".

I would like to know if it is possible to delete or terminate a topic that I started in OT; "Bibi is Losing Big Time". At the time I posted it he was, so it was relevant at that time. Now, of course, he has won. The problem is, like so many strings, THAT one has deteriorated into the usual Pi$$ing match between the usual few that bring each topic down and kill it's intended discussion.

I went in today and deleted my first post that started the topic, but it still carries my name as the author. I want to terminate the whole string because it isn't expiring on its own. How can this be done?

There is no reason to ever post in OT again for anyone who wants an intelligent discussion. Just leave it for the few and let them eat each other.

Regarding the main forum, there is one person who always interjects his biased, poorly informed political opinions, and has for years. When you call him on it he gets very defensive. He plays victim and claims that he is only here to help. You all know who he is. He needs to be sent to OT when he does this but he won't go there voluntarily. Yep! Set up the hook and get him outta here when he does this. :fire:

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 12:35 PM

We live in a changing world and whether we like it or not, those changes don't always agree with our lifestyles and preferences. It's getting more and more difficult to hide from those changes and I wish you good luck in actually being able to accomplish that. A lot depends on your age and lifespan.

There's a set of articles out today, on the eve of the Christian holiday of Easter which is the confirmation of Christianity. They indicate that in the next 35 years, worldwide Muslims will number roughly the same as worldwide Christians. I might witness this, I'm sure my children will. I don't have grandchildren but I don't think I can imagine the world they will inhabit. Historically, those two religions have created huge amounts of conflict for humans on this planet, whether you belong to one, the other, or neither.

Recognizing change and being able to adapt are the primary reasons that some people thrive and some people fail to thrive. I look forward to the future and what it has to offer so I'll be staying around and continuing to thrive.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 12:36 PM

Thank you for your "spot on" post cortez, I feel the same way. Unfortunately your thoughtful post is going straight into the toilet just like I was afraid it would. :(:(

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 12:45 PM

I have some relatives who are very devout Mormons. So are their children.
It's no wonder that when their children are old enough to become missionaries, they get sent (by the church) to Arizona. My nephew is currently in Arizona on a mission. They must spend a lot of time with Mexican aliens because before going on their missions, they have to be conversational in Spanish.

(BTW...in am not Mormon.)

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  
This is an OP ED (Opinion and Editorial)
Mormons. For those of you who are not aware, in AZ you can carry a concealed weapon with any CCL or training. And yes, I do carry a 9mm in my truck from time to time, I am not a Mormon, but AZ was expanded very much so by the early Mormons.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 12:47 PM

This is why many of us have, and are changing, our social media to Facebook.

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  
I really appreciate the thought and intensity that went in to your post. I too am so tired of the bickering and stupidity that permeates the postings of a large number of people. Perhaps it is indicative of society at large that things are evolving into two separate political camps. It is very much like things were in the time leading up to the civil war where the division was very strong and emotional. Perhaps it is only my perspective but the left seems to disparage and use terms that are designed to make anyone who does not share their perspective to be stupid, uninformed, and hateful. But the right has a tendency treat those who do not agree with an air of superiority that they find very frustrating. If you read Alinsky's book of "Rules for Radicals" you quickly discover that a lot of this discontent and disturbance may well be planned and organized. But it is very disturbing and seeks to further divide the sides that become more antagonistic each and every day.

So your strategy to become more involved in your micro-world and see the relevance of that may well be the best strategy you can come up with.

Udo

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 12:51 PM

AMEN!

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
Thank you for your "spot on" post cortez, I feel the same way. Unfortunately your thoughtful post is going straight into the toilet just like I was afraid it would. :(:(

Udo

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 01:09 PM

Cortezblue, I'm surprised that this all surprises you.

BN forum is not specialized in any way, there is no direction or any voluntary selection criteria. Naturally, posts are all over. What is a "Baja nomad"? Somebody who lives there part of the year or comes there from time to time. Can be anybody. A lot of members are retired, bored people, with plenty of time on their hands (and cheap tequila). No direction, no purpose.
grizzlyfsh95
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 01:24 PM

The name calling gets tedious. The holier than thou is tiresome. Inserting your favorite buzzword into the conversation does nothing but inflame the other 50% who do not share your world view, but are interested enough to read your rant. Much of it is really childish.

The harder I work, the luckier I get
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.