BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: New land use fees popping up in Baja - $8 to access Laguna Salada
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 4-7-2015 at 06:18 PM
New land use fees popping up in Baja - $8 to access Laguna Salada

David K is my witness. The Laguna Salada is now roped off, and to access it, you have to pay 100 Pesos to enter its wild spendor. Times are indeed changing...

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2015 at 06:28 PM

And you say he protested? Argued and got them to drop it to $6?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 4-7-2015 at 06:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
And you say he protested? Argued and got them to drop it to $6?

David used his wonderful talent of persuasion (English/Spanish) to get the new organization in charge of limiting access to the Laguna Salada to lower their price for our entry. First, they said "1,000 Pesos. Then, the price was dropped to $6/each since not everyone carried Pesos on the trip this weekend. This is going to possibly affect Guadalupe Canyon visitors.

liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2015 at 07:33 PM

Ken, they started charging us I think 4 years ago. We were doing the 500. They were hitting up the chase trucks. $5.00 each! the guy had
a great business plan! :bounce:
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2015 at 07:36 PM

This is not new...and is common throughout the entire peninsula.

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2015 at 07:35 AM

Went to the CODE race last month? and the entry fee was 50 Peso per vehicle.
I guess teh price has gone up. Ejido owns the desert.
PW
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2015 at 07:50 AM

If its their land, they have the right to charge to go across it.

50-100 pesos is cheap. might help to keep the rif/raf out.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-8-2015 at 07:54 AM

When returning home from Arroyo Grande to Tecate yesterday (Tuesday), there was NOBODY there at the opening in the fence along the highway where the toll booth to Laguna Salada was set up on Saturday.

The toll asked was 100 pesos ($6.67 @ 15:1)... we had 11 vehicles, so her accepting $6.00 wasn't a huge discount and our caravan probably made her day.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2015 at 02:33 PM

Are we noticing a trend? When I drove into Punta Conejo in November for a race, someone at the gate (who had not been there in prior days), collected $10 from each of us as a "beach cleaning fee."

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-11-2015 at 08:20 PM

They did try that to go on dirt road,next to beach.Camilu to Colenet.Few years back,Went past with out paying.I reported it to Broad of Tourism.2 weeks later,no more Ratas. I saw same thing David,No one there when we went home.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2015 at 08:24 PM

I mentioned the Laguna Salada fee issue to my rancher friend on Sunday. Wow, did I hit on a heated topic! He has a ranch in the sierra and winters his cattle in Laguna Salada and side canyons. That necessitates frequent driving from La Rumorosa on Highway 2, then south on Laguna Salada in a big truck.
The full story was a 10 minute rant, which I will try to summarize:

Woman who owns the land believes she has the right to charge money for others to cross her land, despite the fact that the road has provided access to a vast area for decades. The other road (signed) is very rough, and not conducive to stiff riding trucks or hauling cattle/horses. Local ranchers infuriated for the past year and have filed a "demanda" (legal action) with the courts.
The woman is there charging money on most weekends, but not in summer. Serious words have been exchanged between ranchers and the woman. Some have threatened to break down the barricade if she doesn't let them pass. She has relented when it escalates to that level with local ranchers.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2015 at 08:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
I mentioned the Laguna Salada fee issue to my rancher friend on Sunday. Wow, did I hit on a heated topic! He has a ranch in the sierra and winters his cattle in Laguna Salada and side canyons. That necessitates frequent driving from La Rumorosa on Highway 2, then south on Laguna Salada in a big truck.

Woman who owns the land believes she has the right to charge money for others to cross her land, despite the fact that the road has provided access to a vast area for decades. The other road (signed) is very rough, and not conducive to stiff riding trucks or hauling cattle/horses. Local ranchers infuriated for the past year and have filed a "demanda" (legal action) with the courts.
The woman is there charging money on most weekends, but not in summer. Serious words have been exchanged between ranchers and the woman. Some have threatened to break down the barricade if she doesn't let them pass. She has relented when it escalates to that level with local ranchers.

God bless the ranchers of the world! If a road was opened from the graded road junction (2 miles west) to the lake bed, perhaps would solve the issue? Open roads to all people. Now, a legit way for her to make money is set up a lemonade stand there or tacos... provide a product people will happily pay her for. The road has been there for decades, and unless she paves it or changes it, charging of passage to the playa (dry lake bed) is no different than the condo or hotel owners along ocean playas (beaches) that block or control access to the beach in Los Cabos or other resort areas.

Here is the receipt we each got after paying the lady...

[Edited on 4-14-2015 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2015 at 08:55 AM

There are roads and trails that go from the Guadalupe road west of the Salada road to the Salada dry lake bed road with in 4-5 miles of hwy 2. You can see them on GE. Code uses some for their race course. At the time everyone was in a hurry to get going and not too interesed in finding another path.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2015 at 08:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  

God bless the ranchers of the world! If a road was opened from the graded road junction (2 miles west) to the lake bed, perhaps would solve the issue? Open roads to all people. Now, a legit way for her to make money is set up a lemonade stand there or tacos... provide a product people will happily pay her for. The road has been there for decades, and unless she paves it or changes it, charging of passage to the playa (dry lake bed) is no different than the condo or hotel owners along ocean playas (beaches) that block or control access to the beach in Los Cabos or other resort areas.

Here is the receipt we each got after paying the lady...

[Edited on 4-14-2015 by David K]

Sounds similar to a toll road to me? One can take the old road (free) or the better road (toll). I never took you as anti-business David?

[Edited on 4-14-2015 by Bajaboy]

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-14-2015 at 09:03 AM

Good for her.....

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2015 at 09:08 AM

doesn't sound like she is restricting access. Only access across her private property. If you do not want to pay for access use the other road.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2015 at 09:14 AM

Yes, and we all paid her, too.
So, the landowners along the beach can also charge people to go across their land to the beach? I thought that was considered a crime but some here?

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2015 at 09:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Yes, and we all paid her, too.
So, the landowners along the beach can also charge people to go across their land to the beach? I thought that was considered a crime but some here?

I happily paid at Papa Fernandez and Ojo de Liebre to camp recently.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2015 at 09:22 AM

She wasn't providing a camp site, or anything she made or improved, just a 1 kilometer length of old dirt road to the playa.

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2015 at 09:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

I happily paid at Papa Fernandez and Ojo de Liebre to camp recently.

I too have paid fees to access, camp along beaches, so. of
Puerticitos a couple mi. comes to mind. There is one poster
here who goes out of his way to aviod spending $ on trips
SOB, whether rewriting Imm regs, to in his mind, validating
not paying for an fmm, his sole purpose is to get down and
back spending as little as possible

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.