BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Who's getting a Telsla Power Wall?
JZ
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 09:01 AM
Who's getting a Telsla Power Wall?

For you house in Baja?

http://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 09:26 AM

I am definitely interested. Elon Musk is a visionary who can make things happen, he may be the Thomas Edison or Henry Ford of our time.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 09:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
I am definitely interested. Elon Musk is a visionary who can make things happen, he may be the Thomas Edison or Henry Ford of our time.

He is certainly preparing for the future --- we were quite surprised when they installed a car battery station in Lone Pine by the Movie Museum --- out here in nowhere.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 10:04 AM

I've been keeping an eye and an ear open to this developing new battery technology for a while now. Should lend itself well to all homes...on and off grid. Will be watching it's progress carefully.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 10:22 AM

Edison or ford? Maybe. Mixed in with a little Popeil and a bit of Silicon Valley tech-gadget hucksterism.

Batteries are interesting, but there are huge environmental costs of manufacturing batteries, and they have a short life span. Never yet seen a battery that will last decades,... In reading the press this week, no one mentioned battery life and life cycle cost,... Until they mention that, I smell hucksters!

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 10:57 AM

Somewhere in the literature or whatever I read that they had a ten year guarantee. I'm not going to take the time to re-read it all. Somebody can look it up.

Anyhow, this excites me. I have been hoping that some good tech would arrive before I have to replace my ten year old Rolls batteries. I've already had one fail and it cost me 1600 dollars to get a new one to my place once I paid import duty etc.

So something like this to replace all twelve of those lead acid relics would be awesome. I too wonder though about raw materials availability etc. I imagine that they will be recyclable to a degree. We shall see.

[Edited on 5-2-2015 by El Jefe]

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 11:16 AM

I just read some stuff on these and promising as they appear there are others that are working on electrical storage devices too. Telsla is building a huge manufacturing plant and it was mentioned they too are working on something less expensive. I'm thinking in 5 years or so there will be few lead acid batteries running our homes. Well, I hope so anyway.:!:

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 01:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Edison or ford? Maybe. Mixed in with a little Popeil and a bit of Silicon Valley tech-gadget hucksterism.

Batteries are interesting, but there are huge environmental costs of manufacturing batteries, and they have a short life span. Never yet seen a battery that will last decades,... In reading the press this week, no one mentioned battery life and life cycle cost,... Until they mention that, I smell hucksters!

Actually there is a rechargeable battery that lasts decades that was first invented by Thomas Edison around 1900. I believe that there are still some of these batteries in use today after many decades of use. I considered them as replacements for my off grid solar home but they have a low charge efficiency (take too long to charge) to fit into a daily solar charge cycle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel%E2%80%93iron_battery

I was wondering if traditional charge controllers from Outback or Xantrex can accommodate the different charging characteristics of the Li ion batteries.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 02:17 PM

Don't know about charging with the controller but the probably could be charged thru your inverter's ac??

[rquote=I was wondering if traditional charge controllers from Outback or Xantrex can accommodate the different charging characteristics of the Li ion batteries.[/rquote]

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 02:27 PM

Have been waiting for something along these lines .. :):)
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 03:00 PM

It is being stated on another forum it has its own inverter/controller.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 03:25 PM

Nicola Tesla, who I assume the current Tesla Co. is named for worked for Thomas Edison when the light bulb was invented and was at odds with him about wheather to use DC or AC current to provide electricity to homes. Edison wanted DC and Tesla wanted AC which eventually won out. Now today's Tesla wants to take DC power and convert it to AC.:?:

Bob Durrell
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 04:20 PM

http://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall

Would appear the inverter is an add on ...

Still not a bad deal ... wouldn't think this guy would be putting out "junk" ... just saying

But, of course there may be something which others may know ... all ears

And would certainly like hear from those that are "users" of current solar systems in operation at this time

In field applications are the best to learn from ... :):)

It is interesting that a combination of "both" would appear to be a very excellent solution ... DC and AC working together to produce energy from the Sun ... very excellent news

btw ... NOTHING lasts forever ... :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 5-2-2015 by wessongroup]
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 06:43 PM

Musk said in the press event that the battery comes with it's own DC to DC converter, I assume that means a charge controller, most of the other LiPo batteries come with their own battery management circuitry I'm just trying to figure out how many L-16 it would take to equal a 10 kw Tesla battery.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 07:24 PM

Will say ... 200 lbs. would make it a bit difficult for the "individual" installer by him and/or herself ... nothing that couldn't be worked around ... but, it is a bit heavy :):)
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 07:32 PM

Quote "I'm just trying to figure out how many L-16 it would take to equal a 10 kw Tesla battery."
Me too. For my limited use I have 8- L-16's at 120lbs. each. And they do not like summer here.

ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 08:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
Quote "I'm just trying to figure out how many L-16 it would take to equal a 10 kw Tesla battery."
Me too. For my limited use I have 8- L-16's at 120lbs. each. And they do not like summer here.

So here’s the math. Batteries are usually rated in amp-hours (@20 amp discharge rate) The standard L-16s are rated at 375 ah and you if you consider a maximum depth of discharge(dod) of 50% (which you don’t want to do every day with L-16s) you get 375 x 0.5 x 48volts = 9,000 kwh per day. This assumes a bank of eight L-15 batteries in series. They say the Telsa battery has 7 kwh per day capacity. They don’t specify what the acceptable dod is for this battery, but typically Li ion batteries can be safely discharged very low, so I believe that the 7 kwh figure is “usable” capacity. So to replace your L-16s you would need two of the Tesla batteries and you would have a bit more capacity. The problem still remains as to how to effectively recharge them using standard solar panels and available charge controllers. I would love to see a “breakthrough” battery become available for off grid use as the battery is still the weakest link in any solar power system.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 11:10 PM

Thanks much .. :):)
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 06:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  

russ its NOT your batteries...its the wire coming downfrom the solar panels...too small...I bigger stranded wire will give you MORE current

in the summer when its hot there's a huge resistance in the wire that charges the batteries...heat causes resistance

run a bigger line down

as for batteries being the weakest link...maybe
but an inverter is like a lightbulb...it could go out at any time

all the "stuff" is the weakest link...
best thing is to be "on-grid" for sure...don't let anyone tell you its better to live "off-grid"...it isn't
but its possible

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2015 at 10:50 AM

Thanks again ... knew some good feed back would be coming from those that operate systems ..

You guys are a great source of "practical" info .. all the time

:):)

"The prospect of cheap solar panels combined with powerful batteries has been a source of significant anxiety in the utility sector. In 2013, the Edison Electric Institute, the trade group for investor-owned electric companies, issued a report warning that disruption was coming. "One can imagine a day when battery storage technology or micro turbines could allow customers to be electric grid independent," the report said, likening the speed of the coming transition to the one from landlines to cellphones 10 years ago. Suddenly regulated monopolies are finding themselves in competition with their own customers."

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/13/8033691/why-teslas-battery...

[Edited on 5-3-2015 by wessongroup]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.