Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Latest hiking socks?
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2015 at 05:48 AM
Latest hiking socks?

SWMBO and I were getting new day-hiking boots and bought a pair of Wright's double layer socks. We normally wear wool hiking socks but plan on giving these a try this weekend in Montana before bring them down to Baja for our day hikes. They seem too thin to us.
Any of you serious hikers have suggestions?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-27-2015 at 06:20 AM

It's always seemed to me that Thorlo makes the best socks, no matter the application.

I'm currently using their mini-crew socks for pickleball, which is pretty tough on the feet. It's amazing where they put areas of padding on these; the heel, the arch, a thin ridge along the top of the toes. There are even panels of more breathable material along the sides, where padding isnt needed.

When I was hiking more in my 30s, they were one of the first to come out with wicking hiking socks.

Here's their line of hiking socks, Santiago. Not cheap.

I havent worn a pair of theirs for hiking in years. I still have pairs of the Smart Wool brand that seem to still work. And I have some REI brand socks, too. We hope to do some day hiking in the Pyrenees this fall, but nothing strenuous.

https://www.thorlo.com/activity/outdoor/hiking-socks

REI would be a good place to shop for them AND the REI brands that are pretty decent, too. They had Thorlos at the last REI I was in. But they wont have the selection available at that link. Lots of different duty options on that site.

Feet are important to me. I'll pay more for good quality shoes and socks. When my feet aren't happy, I'm not happy.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2015 at 06:26 AM

Hey Santiago! I'm a total believer in Wright double layer socks. Ran many marathons in them and I've been wearing them daily for years and years on my runs. Love them. And rarely get blisters. Even on twenty mile runs. Many of my fellow running friends also love them. And we are all very partial to our running socks. I don't wear anything else. Except maybe a pair of shorts! And I'm a believer in shoes that are slightly too large. Your feet, especially toes, need some room to expand when you heat up and really start pounding the miles. Good luck. Going down soon? I'll be there Friday for three weeks. And if you see me running at Geckos you can bet I'll be wearing my Wright socks! :-)
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2015 at 07:08 AM

I've been using Feetures or Icebreaker - they're seamless - as a liner, then wear a pair with a little padding. Guess concept works the same as a Wright double layer ?? I'll try these - thanks for the suggestion.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-27-2015 at 08:08 AM

Yeah, the Wrights sound good.

Marathoner recommendations trump pickleballers, every time.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 5-27-2015 at 08:33 AM

Having owned a bunch of hiking boots over the years. I believe you get get the socks that work for those boots. When you find a combo that work and keep your foot blister free stay with them. Now I have a collection of hiking socks as the socks tend to outlast the boots. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
There are many good socks on the market these days.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2015 at 11:44 AM
Wright is right for me

I've used Wright socks for many years - mostly on trail runs. There are (were?) three thicknesses available in the crew length which I prefer. I've mostly used the medium weight. Never a blister. Of course I'm using trail running shoes, not hiking shoes or boots and I suppose there are some real differences.

For some solid insight see "fixing your feet" - the bible for footcare - there is a website, blog, and a dandy book of the same title.

John M
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2015 at 01:05 PM

I recently moved to Injini socks for my Ultra races. I swear by them. Just bought three pair for my hundred miler next week. Check them out: https://www.injinji.com/

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2015 at 01:21 PM
Injinji

I've also had success with Injinji - you simply have to put them on to believe that toe socks can be so comfortable.

Another really good choice.

John M
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2015 at 06:25 AM

Hey Bajaboy. Awesome blog! My fitness goal at LA Bay the next three weeks is daily walking lunges on the beach. Balancing a couple Pacificos of course! And maybe a run or two. :-)
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2015 at 10:37 AM

I have a drawer here at the beach house with socks and underwear. In the ten years since I retired I've only opened it a handful of times, only to find yet again that there is nothing in there that I need.

Flipflops and board shorts = uniform of the day.

Really, I should get some good shoes and socks for hiking or just walking but that would interrupt a good nap.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-28-2015 at 03:21 PM

So.....how many pairs of flippers and shorts? :biggrin: Or just wear 'em out and get a new pair....between naps?

Don't believe everything you think....
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2015 at 05:00 PM
shorts?

Are they reversible? I think they last twice as long if they are. Some are even resistant to laundry soap damage - they could last for years and years.

John M

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.