Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Missing Bernardo
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2015 at 08:55 AM
Missing Bernardo

Missing Bernardo

I met Bernardo almost twenty years ago when I first settled in Santa Isabela. I borrowed a tile cutter from him and when I took it back I gave him a couple bucks and then met his son in law who had some English.

There was a storm coming and the tracks were all over the place and as we walked back to my truck we were talking about it. It was then that I learned Bernardo’s secret. Sebastian said “He knows about big wind, bad storms. He knows before they come and if there’s a bad one coming we all watch to see what he’s gonna do.

If it’s a bad one coming, he takes the lamina, the metal panels, the roof, off his house here so it won’t blow away. I think the whole village knows enough to watch him now because he’s almost always right.”

I asked “Where does he put the roof panels?”

“In the house. So they won’t blow away.”

“Where does he sleep during the storm?”

“He sleeps outside. He has always slept outside – he doesn’t like to sleep in a house. I don’t know why.”

I miss Bernardo because he passed away four years ago. He was our weatherman, our alarm system, our danger indicator and now he’s gone and there is no one else in the village who has the magic vision he possessed.

Hurricane Blanca will be blowing 140 MPH not long before it either harmlessly fades away into the vast Pacific or devastates San Lucas and the tip worse than Hurricane Odile did last October.

Maybe if we are deserving he will send us some kind of sign. Just in case, I’m boarding up and saying prayers.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-4-2015 at 10:06 AM

Bernardo...the great prognosticator.

(Another great one, Jorge.)

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2015 at 10:38 AM

My ex-wife correctly predicted the sex of all five of our children. By the time my youngest (a son) was born, we didn't even bother picking girls' names.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 6-4-2015 at 10:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
My ex-wife correctly predicted the sex of all five of our children. By the time my youngest (a son) was born, we didn't even bother picking girls' names.

My wife can do that too!

Bob Durrell

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.