BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: TECATE Businessmen, YOU have a PROBLEM!
junkyarddog

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 08:36 AM
TECATE Businessmen, YOU have a PROBLEM!

I have stopped using Tecate to clear in and out of Baja. All of my friends have stopped using Tecate to clear in and out of Mexico. I have cleared through Tecate every year since I retired in 2000. My dentist is in Tecate. But, NO MORE CROSSING THERE!
It used to be that Tecate was a friendly place with better border crossing times than the other border gates serving southwestern California. Yes, there was a cop standing on the corner of the park plaza, nabbing, for some mordida, those with foreign license plates who passed by, but we all soon learned to bypass that place by choosing other routes to get us to our favorite places in Tecate and on to Mex 3 to head down the beautiful ruta vinicola to Ensenada. We soon found the good restaurants, pharmacies, dentists, etc. and told others about them.
This year, Tecate 'broke the camel's back' for all of us. The big back breaker was the 'send backs' to the US side because we could no longer bring in our favorite foods to sustain our 6-9 month stays in the sun in Baja. Freezers with $700 worth of our favorite meats and cheeses that were just not available in rural Baja had to be disposed of back in the US before we could re-enter with our now empty freezers. The meats and cheeses we had to dump on the US side was of a quantity consistent with a stay in Baja of 8 months and none of the other border stations were doing this. And, for many years before this year we brought to Baja similar quantities of the same items with no problems. We went north for a wedding in May of this year and , just for fun, I bought some meats, sausages and cheeses (all of which had the USDA seal on the package) in San Diego county and entered the declare lane at the Otay Mesa gate so I could show them to the inspector to see if they were forbidden. He asked me why I came to the declare lane, wrote me out a pass and sent me on my way back south!
Tecate now has a very big NO-NO board (in Spanish only) which lists some person's (misleading) interpretation of the laws pertaining to what animal and vegetable material products can be brought across the border. A photo of the NO-NO board, and my translation thereof are on the following pages. On my translation of that NO-NO board, the colored text is the area of enforcement that is causing the problems, and it is just plain wrong. We realize how difficult it is to enforce agricultural import regulations. But if it is to be done, it needs to be done right!
SENASICA has posted thier latest regulations, dated January, 2015 and the English version can be found at http://www.senasica.gob.mx/?Idioma=2&id=622. It clearly counteracts itself in that the quantities are very limited and directly conflict with "are in quantities for personal use and consumption ".

Other reasons why Tecate is no longer desired as a place to cross.
2. It is no longer one old cop on the street corner. Now it is constant cops on motorcycles targeting US plated cars and RVs, but it is the old standard "Señor, there were pedestrians in the crosswalk when you entered that intersection back there" and you were told you had to go to the police station back there (pointing). When the driver seemed reluctant to do that (how was the driver to know where the police station was, so he was expected to follow the officer around to the curb side of his vehicle so that money exchanging hands was much less visible to others, and the minimum tab was 500 pesos. It just happened again today to one of us who just arrived here. I am quite sure those cops (there are more than one of them) take home more money than the mayor of Tecate does!
Two days ago, another of our friends arrived from transiting Tecate. Spanish is his native language but that didn't matter because he had California license plates-it still cost him 500 pesos! He, too will not be using Tecate any more.
3. For the most of us who are coming from or going to the I-5 or I-15 corridors, it is forty miles shorter to go the route through Otay Mesa than via Tecate.
4. There are no hills to climb and descend and it is four lane, all the way when going through Otay Mesa.
5. Now that Otay Mesa has added more lanes, the border wait times have equalized between the two gateways.

And, you know what, Tecate? You are soon going to lose the Baja traffic that comes or goes to the east. One of these days, the road from Puertecitos to Laguna Chapala will be finished and a lot of traffic will go that way to avoid the traffic congestion from Ensenada to south of San Quintin. Loyalty is a wonderful thing.....until it is destroyed.

Maybe you don't care, but I have always liked Tecate and the people there. I thought you deserved a heads-up. And for the English-only speakers who plan to use Tecate, check out the TECATE NO-NO Board and my rough translation to English that follows.

My translation of the Tecate NO-NO Board (Photo of the NO-NO Board follows)
Not Authorized
Containers filled with hay(or other dried plant material), straw, straw ornaments or adornments. unprocessed food homemade.
Animal Meal.
Fresh meat, dry, canned or frozen meat, and meat products such as sausages, smoked, salted, dried meats that come from countries not authorized by Mexico. My interpretation: should be ok if usda seal is on the sealed package but you better be prepared to argue your case in Spanish (see the last category below in colored type). Small quantities easier to get across here than larger quantities because they have no way of knowing how long you will stay in Mexico. In theory at least, you should be able to find the product and the forbidden countries on the website listed below.
Authorized in tourist quantities
Honey in labeled containers
Tobacco for smoking
Articles of polished bone
skins/leather cured or dried
dried herbs/plant material packaged and labeled
dried foods of vegetable origin packaged and labeled but only from Mexico approved countries
dried medicinal herbs, packaged and labeled
roasted coffee, packaged and labeled
Dogs and cats (when they are more than two pets there will be the cost of the certificate Zoosanitario for import). For each pet there must be a certificate of health signed by a licensed veterinarian from the country of origin including proof of rabies vaccination that is current.
Regulated goods
Birds and their products
Wildlife and hunting trophies
Pets other than dogs or cats
Uncured skins or pelts
Propagative material (bulbs, seeds, cuttings)
Fresh Fruits, vegetables, flowers, cereals, plants
Milk, milk products
Bees and their products
Medicines and biological products used by Veterinarians
Lobster, shrimp, crabs artemians and crushed shells
Meats, fresh, frozen, dried, canned, aged, smoked or meat products such as sausage, from countries authorized by Mexico.
Objects that are contaminated with blood or dirt such as boots or shoes, costumes of bullfighter, lances and stones, which could be objects subject to cleaning and/or sterilization.
THE TECATE NO-NO BOARDSee photo in next posting.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 08:46 AM

Just so folks know this isn't a universal problem, I have never had a problem in Tecate... my last time there was 2 months ago. This forum is a great place to read of issues, and while there have been some Tecate issues with cops, the vast majority who go there have no problems. I have been pulled over in Tijuana and Ensenada and paid 'fees' in those cities (many years ago).

A motorcycle cop in Tecate once pulled up to me saying I violated a law (it was 13 years ago), and after I explained my dilemma in finding the new border access, he helped me, and no ticket.

Viva Baja! Attitude is everything!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Cornelio

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 09:51 AM

After spending a long week-end 2 years ago at Costa Brava/San Quintin we were told to try crossing at Tecate. Entering the town I was careful to stop at all the stop signs. I saw a Policia Municipal truck with 3 guys in it coming at me, he hung a U-turn and stopped me. "Why you didn't stop at the stop sign" the chubby cop said, I replied "I did, I saw you coming the opposite way and turn to follow me" He said, "Have you been drinking today, even one beer with lunch?" I said "No nothing to drink today (It was true, it was around noon). So he says Do you have a pocket knife in the truck?" Like an IDIOT I think this guy wants or needs a pocket knife. "Yes" I reply. I had a pocket knife in my center console that I had driven all over Mexico with through numerous check points/searches. Well apparently it is illegal to have a knife within the driver arms reach (In Tecate). So be warned. I refused to pay the mordita and started to follow him to jail-I thought he was bluffing. He stopped (almost across from the turn-off to the border crossing and went to my Esposa's window and asked her how much money she had. She was freaked out by all this and told him she had $60. He took the money and told her how lucky you were to get off so easily. After I returned home to Oceanside I was telling this story to my Barber and he said, "Oh we know ALL about pocket knifes in Mexico don't we Louie"
Apparently Louie had the same thing happen only did go to jail, and have to get a Mexican attorney, make a few more trips to court and pay a fine. Sorry for the length of this story but if it helps somebody then its worth it. I avoid Tecate now.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 10:09 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your Tecate Troubles. Thanks for taking the time to post a detailed explanation.

Just to be fair and balanced I have never had a problem in Tecate. Not saying it doesn't happen - it obviously does.

Personally I would never try to bring $700 worth of meats and cheeses across an international border.

We have it easy, as American's, crossing into Mexico. People wanting to come northbound seem to run into some serious obstacles.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 10:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Cornelio  
Like an IDIOT I think this guy wants or needs a pocket knife. "Yes" I reply……

He stopped (almost across from the turn-off to the border crossing and went to my Esposa's window and asked her how much money she had. She was freaked out by all this and told him she had $60. He took the money and told her how lucky you were to get off so easily. .

I had a pocket knife stolen by military at the checkpoint North of GN. It was in the center console. What was I thinking? Obviously I wasn't thinking. I knew the Rules before and had to relearn them. NO pocket knifes ANYWHERE except in my sock while traveling.

As for the $60 the esposa paid? Where were you dude? Next time say to the cop: DON'T TALK TO MY ESPOSA! Cop just insulted you and your wife paid him off.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 10:32 AM

I have been sopped by the chubby motorcycle cop twice in three years.
Both times I was able to talk him out of a fine.
I saw him following me both times through 7 stop sign and three traffic lights, and he did not attempt to stop me until I got to the hill on the way to the CBP crossing.
Both times I asked him why he stopped me after following me for 8-10 minutes. He told me that I rolled through a stop sign some time ago.
I told him I don't remember that far back.
He then asked me to follow him to the police station. I asked him..."that one across the street". We can walk there faster than driving.
Both time he ended up saying..."no ticket" and rode off.

Perhaps it helped to speak to him in fluent Spanish.

I no longer have to worry about him...I have a SENTRI pass.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 12:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Just so folks know this isn't a universal problem, I have never had a problem in Tecate... my last time there was 2 months ago. This forum is a great place to read of issues, and while there have been some Tecate issues with cops, the vast majority who go there have no problems. I have been pulled over in Tijuana and Ensenada and paid 'fees' in those cities (many years ago).

A motorcycle cop in Tecate once pulled up to me saying I violated a law (it was 13 years ago), and after I explained my dilemma in finding the new border access, he helped me, and no ticket.

Viva Baja! Attitude is everything!!

Just because YOU havent been stopped is not an indication that it isnt a UNIVERSAL problem (whatever that means).
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 01:21 PM
Make some noise

Aldrete Juan Marquez, President of the Committee for Public Safety Tecate

Canto Juan Bartolomé Lam, Director of Public Safety and Municipal Transit Tecate

Moon Omar Herrera, Criminal Judge in Tecate

President of the Commission of Tourism of the XXI Legislature, deputy Marco Antonio Novelo Osuna

Liaison with United States/Personal de enlace con Estados Unidos
Juan Tintos Funcke
Secretario de Turismo del Gobierno del Estado
(011 52) 664- 682-3367
jtintos@baja.gob.mx

http://tecate.gob.mx/contacto/

https://www.facebook.com/TecateAyuntamiento

Baja California

Members of the Border Legislative Conference

Diputado Gustavo Sánchez Vásquez
Edificio del Poder Legislativo
Av. Pioneros y Av. De los Héroes No. 995
Centro Cívico
C.P. 21000, Mexicali, Baja California.
Tels. (01 686) 559.56.00, (01 686) 559.56.01
gustavo.sanchez@congresobc.gob.mx

Diputada Laura Torres Ramírez
Centro Cívico
laura.torres@congresobc.gob.mx

Diputado Rodolfo Olimpio Hernandez Bojorquez
Centro Cívico
rodolfo.hernandez@congresobc.gob.mx

Diputado Jose Roberto Davalos Flores
Centro Cívico
roberto.davalos@congresobc.gob.mx

Centro de Gobierno Tecate
Callejón Libertad #1305
Zona Centro, Tecate, B.C.
C.P. 21430
Tecate: (665) 103-7500

Secretary of Tourism
River Building, 3rd. Apartment
Juan Ruiz de Alarcon No. 1572
Zona Rio, Tijuana, 22320
Phone: (664) 682-3367 ext. 113
www.descubrebajacalifornia.com

[Edited on 6-12-2015 by bajaguy]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 01:42 PM

that is a good list to have

if you are coming south for months at a time, or for a whole year as we do, it is amazing how many goodies (esp. meat) we sometimes end up bringing. most frustrating is how different officers interpret what you can bring differently ! last time at Tecate, we had a lot of meat, and I distinctly remember the female officer saying to the others: they JUST have a lot of meat in the cooler.

go figure.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 01:52 PM

Thanks for the list, Terry!

Very useful.

Udo

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 03:58 PM

I'm afraid I have to agree 100% with DK on this one. Just because it happens to a lot of people, and is increasing blatantly, but didn't happen to HIM does mean it doesn't happen to EVERYBODY UNIVERSALLY. After all, the corrupt cops can't pull everyone over all at the same time, right? Besides, he was just there and wasn't hassled, and hadn't changed since the last time he was there, so therefore there isn't a growing problem because he didn't see it happen, therefore it doesn't exist.

In David's world. Viva OZ !!

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 04:18 PM

The only cops I've seen in my many crossings at Tecate have been right near the border gate directing traffic, and giving preference to Mexican plated vehicles.

Doesn't surprise me, but is really frustrating sitting in line to watch a Mexican plated vehicle drive past on the other side of the road and be waived in by the police guy standing there.
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 04:54 PM

It's jut as bad that they give preferential treatment to pick-up trucks with commercial plates, which are treated the same as commercial rigs, which also go to the front of the line.

Just for the record, I have made copies of the entire post in Spanish and forwarded it to the secretary of BC tourism, and the Mayor of Tecate. Hopefully something si going to get done, especially after I wrote that the chubby motorcycle cop is making more than the mayor of Tecate.

Udo

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 05:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
I'm afraid I have to agree 100% with DK on this one. Just because it happens to a lot of people, and is increasing blatantly, but didn't happen to HIM does mean it doesn't happen to EVERYBODY UNIVERSALLY. After all, the corrupt cops can't pull everyone over all at the same time, right? Besides, he was just there and wasn't hassled, and hadn't changed since the last time he was there, so therefore there isn't a growing problem because he didn't see it happen, therefore it doesn't exist.

In David's world. Viva OZ !!

Goes hand in hand with his theory about man made climate change..after all the sun still comes up in the East:light:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 05:56 PM

Wow, you guys really need a Baja trip... and check that rising sea level while you are at it! :light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 07:04 PM

Wow, you guys really need a Baja trip... and check that rising sea level while you are at it! :light:

David, I'll be in Baja for the next month beginning tomorrow. I'll take some pics of all the beach erosion near Bahia Asuncion for you. Just because YOUR eyes are closed does not mean it's not happening:light:

KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 07:12 PM

There's is a SNITCH that stands on the SW corner just as you're leaving Tecate aduana.

I'm pretty sure of it

I've seen him at least twice now, on the phone, just as you leave the parking area

And it's amazing how th MC cops come out of nowhere just as you're heading up the hill , south, out of town

Next time , I'm going to roll out real slow and if I have to, stop in the middle of the intersection, and take a picture of him

kc
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 07:25 PM
Prove it

Dashcam

https://www.buydashcampro.com/?mid=6392468
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 08:04 PM

The next time,the cubby cop pulls you over for nothing.Like he did me.I told him the broad of tourism,is on the line.Please talk to him,He got on his MC.Took off like a jack rabbit.If your scared, then call right after he leaves. I promise you he wont do it again.
bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2015 at 08:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

David, I'll be in Baja for the next month beginning tomorrow. I'll take some pics of all the beach erosion near Bahia Asuncion for you. Just because YOUR eyes are closed does not mean it's not happening:light:

And just because you and many others have totally bought into the biggest scam in history, does not mean that it is. Consensus is not science. A bunch of folks getting grant money to come to the conclusions wanted by their grantors will usually result in more grant money. I know this is a difference of opinion and not in line with the pc view The global warming crowd will tolerate anything except a differing view.

[Edited on 6-13-2015 by bajacamper]
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.