Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: What he left me....
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 01:30 PM
What he left me....

[img][/img]

My father has been dead for 20 years, dying at the age of 85. I still remember being taken fishing, for the first time at the age of 3 or 4, to a farm pond somewhere between Shafter and Wasco where he showed me how to cast a Mitchell 300 with a bobber and worm to catch blue gill and the occasional bass. He caught more than me that day as I recall.

The last time we fished I took him to Eagle Lake in the fall as he always wanted to go and it was clear there would not be many trips left. He caught more than me that day as I recall.

These items he gave me as I was growing up or after my brother and I divvied up his stuff.

I'm sure most of you recognize these items:
Remington .20 pump air rifle
Mitchell 300 spinning reel
Penn 500 Jigmaster with screaming 4 to 1 retrieval speed, heh
Medalist fly reel
Dexter breaking knife - he was an amateur butcher
Fenwick #6 fly rod - I still use this rod in small streams

He and I fought bitterly thru High School and by the time I went away to college I was sure he was an idiot and a jerk. Somewhere between 30 and 35 years old I started understanding that I had a fair amount to do with this and we spent the next 20 years patching over the scars.
Mine have all healed, but I wonder if his ever did?

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 01:50 PM

I bet they did....Peace

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 02:06 PM

It was surprising to me how much smarter my dad got as I got older. He passed just short of his 93rd birthday, and by then the caretaker/rebel roles had reversed a bit.

He taught by example that doing the right thing at the right time is more important than winning every round.

My young family accompanied him and my mom on our first trip to Baja in 1986, and I still visit some of the same spots when I travel there now. Lots of memories!

It occurs to me that some folks reading this post might remember Bob, and Eowana, from Grass Valley CA. They spent a bit of time over the years around Mulege, Cabo, and other points of interest in the 70s and 80s.

[Edited on 6-21-2015 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 02:40 PM
Anytime

Anytime you would like to come up to Eagle Lake during the summer, let me know
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 03:49 PM

I guess we'll all find out one day, on the other side.

That's so nice that you have a bunch of cool stuff your dad left you. Things that remind you of him every time you pick them up and touch them. I'm envious....

[Edited on 6-21-2015 by woody with a view]

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 03:51 PM

I have three of the five exact items left to me also-
Fenwick
Medalist
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 04:00 PM

Nice thread. My dad's father was a professional carpenter, my dad an amateur, me too. Some tools have been passed down. One that I use frequently is a bastard file. I think of him when I use it. Really, but he was an admirable guy. Did well by me. 8^)

I also empty my pockets when I come home everyday in the same wooden dish he used.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 04:18 PM

That old fenwick glass fly rod is priceless. I used mine for years after everyone had switched to graphite. Fish are more thrilling on that rod.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 05:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
That old fenwick glass fly rod is priceless. I used mine for years after everyone had switched to graphite. Fish are more thrilling on that rod.

I was gonna say "Dude, you have no idea", but of course, you do.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 06:25 PM

I've actually got 3 of them (Fenwicks) and I like them better than graphite.
In fact we grew up bait fishing (from an anchored boat) for trout in the Sierras with fly rods and sinking fly lines!
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 07:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
I've actually got 3 of them (Fenwicks) and I like them better than graphite.
In fact we grew up bait fishing (from an anchored boat) for trout in the Sierras with fly rods and sinking fly lines!

Now that's just nuts. Oh well... I too have a number of the Fenwicks, I pick them up at yard sales and the like. A few years ago Fenwick came out with their "Classic Glass" series and they made some killer casting rods - really great bass rods in MHO. Don't see them around any more. Interesting history of Fenwick and the development of rod building here.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 09:26 PM

What a great thread!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 10:14 PM

Santiago,
My Pappy and I battled like two junkyard dawgs when I was young, mainly because we were too damned much alike. It's a very natural part of nature I think we all could call back if we could, but the lessons learned I think is what shapes our characters, don't you? I went off to war, and we had a hiatus; then we allowed both of us to grow up, and be adults towards each other. We became the absolute best of friends, and it's a treasure I will always cherish. I lost him when I was 28; much too soon, but the few years we were FRIENDS as well as family are priceless.

When I was a teen and learning to play pool I learned 'bottom-english' and thought I was top-chit. Challenged him to shoot some stick. We all went to a family billiards place, rent table by the hour, burgers, cokes, (no booze) etc. I took a 28 oz. cue, he a 16 oz. The guy not only creamed me (and my brother), but that x-mas me, my bro, and mother put in together and bought him a 16 oz. Brunswick cue, and until I went in the service, that was our 'family outing' once a week. I've had that damned cue since I he passed in 1980, and I still call it "Pappy's cue". And, if you roll it on the table, there ain't no wobble what-so-ever.

2nd story; I inherited his fishin' gear (Utah trout stuff). 10 years after his passing, one afternoon I went fishing in American Fork Canyon with my fly rod and his dry fly case; tied on a 'prospect', and worked a pool. About 2nd cast, had a rise and a tug, but no hook-up. I threw another dozen times with at least a rise/tug every other throw; got frustrated! Looked at the hook, and the rust had eaten off just the tip and barb; I can still hear the Old Fart laughing at me as I write this.

Lastly, I have his beautiful old Reynolds cornet he bought when he was in High School (circa 1938); had his own 'Dorsey-James Era' dance band in central Utah pre-WW2, then after the war went on to get a degree in music, and raise me as a brass player (did French horn until hormones and guitar took over).

Dunno which means more to me; the cue, the horn, or those gosh darnned rusty flies I STILL HAVE in my fly-vest.

Gives me a tear in my one good eye..... bless all Pappy's in this world, come and gone, and still goin'.
bb

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 11:09 PM

Dads leave us so much, both tangible and intangible. Thanks for sharing these great stories!

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 11:10 PM

Thanks to all of you guys for sharing these beautiful thoughts, they bring memories, peace and tears to my heart, I too gave my dad a lot of grief while growing up, I lost him when I was 21 and have always missed him so very much, he thought me right from wrong and honesty above all, I have his '50 GMC 6 cyl. in the garage where he left it and every time I go in there I open the camper that he built and just make believe his there with me...

I must say this is one of the nicest threads I've had the opportunity to read this year, a while ago my seven year old came to me before going to bed and he told me: do you know this is a very special day for you dad?

Happy Father's Day to ALL of you and to our dads as well...!!!!

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
4Cata
Nomad

Mood: Siempre alegre!

[*] posted on 6-22-2015 at 12:39 AM

My dad's been gone since 89 and I still have his fishing gear. He was an avid fly fisherman and would practice out in the front yard placing flies in hula hoops all up and down the block. I could never master it but my favorite fishing memory was when we were on vacation in Colorado. He was fishing in a stream, doing well as usual. All of a sudden my mom whisked us back in the Buick station wagon, pointing to an approaching bear. My dad refused to come in, and must have stayed there fishing for that damn bear for well over an hour, which sat patiently waiting for the next fish, the next and the next. Bear finally got full and wandered away back to where he came from. Then my dad got down to catching us some dinner. Best trout I ever had.

Agaveros, silk in a bottle, a beautiful bottle!
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2015 at 08:57 AM

I grew up in a machine shop. My Dad was a machinist and I would sit at a big "Buffalo" floor type drill press and drill holes in blocks of aluminum all day long just for fun. At 10 yrs old I was "micing" parts coming off the automatic lathe for him.
I kept his bench lathe and most of all I have his Machinist's Tool Box that he kept all his mic's and scales and some cutting tools in. It sits on my bench today and I can see him standing in front of it every time I enter the garage and pull open a drawer, looking at the tools he touched every day. I watched him work out of it all my life until he passed away.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2015 at 09:53 AM

I'm lucky to still have my dad around. 90 years young. Took him to Tom Ham's for dinner last night. He opts for the elevator now instead of bounding up the stairs. He took me to Baja when I was two. He and my late mother taught me how to surf when I got a little older. Our last surf together was 20+ years ago but I still remember the day. I have a couple of his old boards including his first foam board that he made in Whitey Harrison's barn in San Clemente in '51 , seven years before I was born. Another board I have was one he bought from Hobie Alter when he was still making boards in his parents garage.

Hope that all you fathers out there had a nice Fathers Day!

K55HPKM (460x640).jpg - 189kB

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 6-22-2015 at 10:23 AM

A really great scooter for exciting travels..

..and a Coleman stove for shore lunches.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 6-22-2015 at 10:56 AM

Love the Dexter, I have the cleaver.
Good stuff folks
Thanks, Lionel
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.