Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Generators above 4000 watts
Genecag
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 09:20 AM
Generators above 4000 watts

With the last big hurricane knocking out power for few days in Baja South, I decided to buy a backup generator to run Refrig, water pump and lights.

Costco has a sale on a dual fuel 9KW max Gen for $650. So thinking that my wife and I would cover $600 in exemptions proceeded to cross at San Ysidro through the declare line.

We were told that you could not cross in SY with a gen above 4KW and were turned back to the US side and asked to cross through Otay.

In Otay, we paid the IVA on the full amount since anything above 4KW is not considered personal use.

And yes of course, it also depends on the officer of the day's interpretation as well :)

Make it a Great Day!!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 09:39 AM

Good info to know. Thanks
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 10:02 AM

what was the total IVA?

bowser
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 10:03 AM

Wow! One more "rule" I've never heard of before. I've crossed 3 times in the pasts 10 years with 6500 watt generators. Never a problem. Always at Tecate though. It really does depend on who's in charge that day.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
7-2-2015 at 11:45 AM
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 03:37 PM

the reality of portable generators is they are ONLY as big as the plug...

and a 7000w (9000w peak) should ONLY run 3500w per the fine print.

if you add all the outlets up it totals 11,500w and you'd fry the generator motor
do you cant use all the outlets

who takes 8 extention cords with them camping anyway
then the cords are usually 15a and that's 1725w total before you melt it

sooo I my opinon a 7000w generator is (in reality) a 3500w generator

genfacts.jpg - 68kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 03:43 PM

oh yea..i hope you bought a transfer switch if you are going to hook the generator to the house later...

that stuff coming from the pole is pretty hot and if both are sending current in...well...FIRE!!!

our website is:
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2015 at 11:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
the reality of portable generators is they are ONLY as big as the plug...

and a 7000w (9000w peak) should ONLY run 3500w per the fine print.

if you add all the outlets up it totals 11,500w and you'd fry the generator motor
do you cant use all the outlets

who takes 8 extention cords with them camping anyway
then the cords are usually 15a and that's 1725w total before you melt it

sooo I my opinon a 7000w generator is (in reality) a 3500w generator

A 7kw gen is 7kW. Single phase, 3-phase, 120, 240, 480 volt, doesn't matter. If you only tap one 120-volt leg (of the generator in question) then you are limited to 3500 watts (30 amps). If you tap both 120 volt legs (i.e. as 240-volt) then you have the full 7000 watts available. And it is fairly easy to convert some 120/240 volt gen sets to 120-volt only at twice the amperage output as the watts remain the same. The champion does not convert due to the Internal AVR but that doesn't mean the full 7kW can't be used.

And a manual or automatic transfer switch is the only proper way to connect a gen set to a grid connected home. The danger with connecting a gen without a transfer switch is that even though the grid may be down, if you energize the grid with your gen you can (will) create lethal voltages on the power lines that could kill a utility lineman.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 05:15 AM

7000w with 240v...you are correct...

one of the 2 twenty amp plugs is 240v on the thing in the picture

but the only time you need 240v is for an ac unit or a welder

the instructions still say you should not use these generators continually over 1/2 their rated power...

they run at 3600rpm and wear out pretty fast

a home generator runs at 1800rpm and lasts a lot longer AND
uses a lot less fuel

these things are NOISY

our website is:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 06:06 AM

I have an inverter in my Dodge Diesel, which handily runs my freezer in a pinch....used it for about 3 days on and off with no ill effects to either freezer or truck...I am old enough to survive without all the other electronic baggage.....

Genecag
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 09:48 AM

Woody - the IVA was 16% of the full amount. The Gen was $650 so about $100USD.

I plan to install a transfer switch and set it up to run 1 AC unit, Refrig, lights and Water Pump. We have a 250 or 300 gallon Propane tank to run the gen for weeks if necessary. I am not an alarmist BUT I thought it prudent to spend a few bucks for the basics. Gen set backed by large Propane tank, extra large water pillar backed by swimming pool and 90 days of instant rations :) Oh and enough beer and liquor for a month!

Some lessons learned for future house builds:

Run separate water pipes for inside vs outside: This way you can add filter system for only internal water and keep mineral rich water for plants and save on filter changes

Add a water tank on the roof and pump water to it from the pilar. This way, in case power goes out you still have water pressure without going to gen set.

If you build on multiple lots, get a meter for each lot from CFE. Your bill will be much less. With one meter, you quickly reach the upper tiers and pay huge rates...(of course conserve energy as much as possible :) )

Use vinyl windows and screen doors - they will last against corrosion

Check all drain pipes for AC to make sure they are not plugged. Nothing worse than running AC for an extended period and get a mini flood.

Make it a Great Day!!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 12:16 PM

couple of things...

propane tanks can only be filled to 3/4
so a 300 gallon tank is only 225 gallons

if the unit uses a gallon an hour and it can
you get 9 days...not weeks

gas and diesel is always because someone will ALWAYS sell you fuel from their truck or car for cash...take my word
you can never run out of gas in Baja if you have a few pesos in your pocket...you can run out of propane...and it could take weeks to get a re-fill

the swimming pool water should NEVER be used for house water
NEVER...plants ok...imagine washing your dishes with water someone has been "do-in stuff in"

no need to stock-pile food...
the border is only a few hours away
and food gets old...sorry mormons

water pilas on the roof are heavy...i'd go with a safer location but not in the ground...and the tanks break...take my word on this too

actually for a whole house back up generator a portable is the WRONG kind...but...I have one to back up my "big dog" generator

why waste the money on filtering house water...I only drink and cook with purified bottled water..
the house water is only as clean as the tank...and "bugs" can swim right thru most filters...you NEVER get the calcium out

never put an ac compressor on the roof...they vibrate the entire house...
they go on the ground...way quieter

sorry...just thinking again

our website is:
laventana
Nomad

Mood: sharing

[*] posted on 7-3-2015 at 11:10 PM

thanks for the heads up.

I just purchased three 2000 watt diesel generators with less than 100 hours on them at auction, presuming i will get 2 out of three running, hoping for all three. Rated life is 3000 to 6000 hours each if taken care of. So because the total is over 4000 watts I assume I will be paying duty. These are heavy 150 lbs each and noisy so will have to bring down some sound board from home depot/Lowes in USA to make a double cage system with adding redundant fans, (the internet has many suggestions for this)

If you do not have more than one electric meter and you have neighbors that are close to your meter and gone for the summer, make them a deal. I use my neighbors meters and they love not having to deal with summer payments. Now, I am an engineer and have hooked them up in parallel, not something that a novice can do, so make sure you have an electrician or engineer friend. It really is simple one you get your training. I do not use transfer switches as I turn off my external circuit breakers

Another little trick I use for water, have the pool, have underground 18 cubic meter, and a rooftop 1 meter gravity feed for power outages. The key here is I also own a travel trailer/boat 12 volt DC pump. I hook up that pump to the underground tank with a 12 volt car/(marine is better) battery and turn off the 1 horsepower 120 volt one. These 1 HP motors put the highest demand I have on my electric system. Remember the starting of a electric motor is about 3 times its rated amperage. Doing this when I run the generator I charge the 12 vdc battery whenever the generator is on. It is so nice to have water pressure. And I have the back up of the gravity feed if there is an issue.

To date for me the honda EUs have been amazing quality and quiet, got about 1500 hours from a 1000 watt EU. They are just a bit expensive. Lasted me about 10 years in this salt air. Bought a 3600 watt propane cheap one from a store in US and it lasted two usages in 4 years and could not run a full sized fridge. Tried a gas no name one and similar. Hence now going to diesel with a quality engine so I have read..

So far I have endured a hit from hurricane John (basically most if not every electric pole went down in my part of the town) and last years Odile just a few went down. Hurricane john was much more powerful here. Being a small town we are low on the priority for getting utilities up and running when there are bigger problems nearby. I generally give away a lot of water. The pool becomes a cooling off feature because the last hurricanes it has been a bit humid after them.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 07:57 AM

This is what a lot of off grid folks are using here in Alaska:
http://www.northern-lights.com/landbasedsolutions/nl673l4-54...
5KW, super dependable, will provide years of continuous service, and only uses a quart of fuel an hour.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 07:58 AM

Laventana
I'm curious how you hooked those 2 generators in parallel. What type of electronics did you use to synchronize the wave? Please use layman's terms 'cause I'm not much of a geek. Is it something like what Honda sells to parallel their eu2000's? Could what you used work to parallel say a Honda 1000i to a 2000i? I'm fascinated by this magic stuff.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 08:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
5KW, super dependable, will provide years of continuous service, and only uses a quart of fuel an hour.

yup...that's what he should have bought...
but notice there's no fuel tank

NL673L4_serviceside.gif - 181kB

our website is:
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 09:12 AM

You can use a boat fuel tank or a 55 gal drum.

laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 10:30 PM

that is one beautiful diesel... great specs... How much? Not a single one on ebay, craigslist, or amazon with pricing. Which may mean no one gives them up generally.

My little 2k ones retail for over $5,000.00 and you can find them used for $1,800.00 so I am sitting down when you give me this price. Ya, got mine for a fraction of that but they could be rusted out and have to do a full head job. But mine is so simple (single cylinder) a head job is easy for a hacker like me as well parts cheap and readily available on ebay. Mine uses 0.333 gallons per hour at 3/4 load, the larger the engine generally the more efficient.

for Larry, I will not be using my two in parallel. I have two sides to my property and isolate both sides independently.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2015 at 11:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by laventana  

that is one beautiful diesel... great specs... How much? Not a single one on ebay, craigslist, or amazon with pricing. Which may mean no one gives them up generally.

A friend of mine just bought a new one for around 6k. If you consider the service life, around 20,000 hours, and the amount of fuel saved, it's pretty cheap, especially when you consider that it would probably outlast 4 or 5 5k Hondas that would cost $4000 each.

laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2015 at 07:04 AM

A friend of mine just bought a new one for around 6k. If you consider the service life, around 20,000 hours, and the amount of fuel saved, it's pretty cheap, especially when you consider that it would probably outlast 4 or 5 5k Hondas that would cost $4000 each.

that is a very reasonable price.... well worth it by far over anything I have seen new. Like the rebuildable fuel injector tips too. Also nice is the lower RPM which translates into generally a bit more quiet, but for me building a sound box is all you need anyway.

Diesels life and efficiency are generally great vs gas, but the cost of a rebuild in general of a diesel is $$, double more expensive. With the exception of the single cylinder one that I can rebuild myself if needed. That 20k hour life should be with 2 motor rebuilds. It also has one of the best owners manuals I have seen.

the honda eb2000 Long run time - up to 9.6 hrs on 1 gal of gas is amazing too... 0.1 gallons of gas per hour. Oh, I had sold my EU1000 for 50% of what I paid for it after using it 10 years and about 1500 hours. I bought it used myself, but 1500-2000 hours is a fraction of a diesel life.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2015 at 09:37 AM

here is the problem with the blue one...

parts...its a chineese knock-off
no parts...
"bosch-like" injectors doesn't mean a bosch injector fits

in fact when it breaks...its a "throw-away"

you need a "name-brand" engine and
a "name-brand" generator if you want to keep it any time at all
think "kabota" and "Stanford"

I made the mistake of getting a fuel tank mounted UNDER the generator...that sounded good but its not...its hard to fill and messy

the air cleaner is way too small too...diesels take ALOT of air under load...if the air is restricted they can suck oil right by the rings
diesels are a lot more powerful then gas engines

as for those tiny 2000w diesels...
i'd sell those things up there and NEVER bring them down
end the pain BEFORE it starts

a 2000w generator is JUST too small for a regular house AC unit...
remember a toaster takes 1500-1800w
a small coffee pot 1000-1200
a blender 800w
a vacuum 1200w
etc etc

and I wouldn't believe ANYTHING about the hours they're supposed to run...everything breaks here in this harsh Baja location

our website is:
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.