Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: TRASHFISH ALERT
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 04:06 PM
TRASHFISH ALERT

I have mentioned on a few threads about eating Tilapia, a.k.a. ''Turd-Eaters" and how they're raised. We recently have had 'Swai' introduced into our little tiendas here in remote Baja, NM., inexpensive fish that doesn't look..... that bad. Tastes ok, mild white meat, so ok. Tried it. Then, made the mistake of looking it up on Google:

https://globalseafoods.com/tilapia-basa-swai/

Hoooo boy. Also a fast-breeding, eat-anything fresh-water species. Raised mainly in the Mekong River of Vietnam (lower reaches.... mucho humanity above) and I thought Tilapia was no more fun. I guess as the old saying goes, ya gets what ya pays for! Buyer beware.

For those what didn't read it earlier, we were in a sushi bar that was passing off Tilapia RAW as red snapper sushi. I still debate turning 'em in to the Dept. of Health.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 04:25 PM

The commercial fishing industry is very quick to deplete species that are in demand around the world. Once they have done one, they go on to another.

And often, they give fake names to the fish to appear more palatable. For instance, Chilean Sea Bass is not even a bass, is not fished anywhere near Chile, and is actually Patagonian Toothfish.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 06:55 PM

They sell it in the local tiendas here as individual vacuum packed fillets. They probably buy it from Walmart, it's quite a bit cheaper than locally caught fish. Much of it comes from China or SE Asia.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 07:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  

And often, they give fake names to the fish to appear more palatable. For instance, Chilean Sea Bass is not even a bass, is not fished anywhere near Chile, and is actually Patagonian Toothfish.

The area of South America know as Patagonia is shared by Chile and Argentina. The Chilean side runs right down to the cape, and is comparable to the inland passage going north along the British Columbia and Southeast Alaska coastline.

I don't know anything about the fish in question, but there is a hell of a good environment for rock fish in Chile.

[Edited on 7-18-2015 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
treuboff
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 08:38 PM

Swai is like eating mush. Talapia has no flavor, but texture is better.
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 11:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
I have mentioned on a few threads about eating Tilapia, a.k.a. ''Turd-Eaters" and how they're raised. We recently have had 'Swai' introduced into our little tiendas here in remote Baja, NM., inexpensive fish that doesn't look..... that bad. Tastes ok, mild white meat, so ok. Tried it. Then, made the mistake of looking it up on Google:

Hoooo boy. Also a fast-breeding, eat-anything fresh-water species. Raised mainly in the Mekong River of Vietnam (lower reaches.... mucho humanity above) and I thought Tilapia was no more fun. I guess as the old saying goes, ya gets what ya pays for! Buyer beware.

For those what didn't read it earlier, we were in a sushi bar that was passing off Tilapia RAW as red snapper sushi. I still debate turning 'em in to the Dept. of Health.

The sushi bar our son bartends at just switched red snapper for tilapia last week - yes raw tilapia.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 11:44 PM

Tilapia? There is no there there.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-18-2015 at 06:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 55steve  

The sushi bar our son bartends at just switched red snapper for tilapia last week - yes raw tilapia.

I would not eat in an establishment that serves fresh water species for sushi. You get what you pay for. If you want raw fish, don't eat at the budget restaurant
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2015 at 07:03 AM

Tilapia is one of those fishes that can live in salt water is now being farmed in it at several locations.

http://seattlefishnm.com/products/factsheets/tilapia/

[Edited on 7-18-2015 by 55steve]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2015 at 07:22 AM

Tilapia is such a beautiful word for trashfish!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2015 at 10:52 AM

I read several years ago,, that Talapia was the worst fish to eat

not healthy, haven't touched it since,
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2015 at 04:33 PM

One grocery in Loreto, and probably more, is selling basa along side of tilapia. Similar to swap, same description, same origin, same warnings as swai.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 7-18-2015 at 04:41 PM

Ya Gits whatcha Pays Fa ! :barf:

86 - 45*

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2015 at 04:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  

The area of South America know as Patagonia is shared by Chile and Argentina. The Chilean side runs right down to the cape, and is comparable to the inland passage going north along the British Columbia and Southeast Alaska coastline.

I don't know anything about the fish in question, but there is a hell of a good environment for rock fish in Chile.

[Edited on 7-18-2015 by AKgringo]

The simple fact is that most of what is considered Patagonia is Argentine. From what I have read, these toothfish are caught quite South of Chile. No biggie. My post was about how marketers change names to make them more appealing.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 7-19-2015 at 03:13 PM

At the Sotres Market in Vizcaino I saw individually wrapped fish fillets being sold to a customer, I asked what it was, I was told by the butcher that it was Halibut, when I got home with it, my receipt said Tilapia! The dog liked it.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 7-19-2015 at 03:16 PM

Perry, was it all white, or did it have a slight 'vein' like snapper does? This new 'Swai' fish is all white, like halibut. Tilapia unfortunately looks like snapper, has a little red color to the meat; i'll never eat snapper again.

....That is, unless I catch it myself.... ;)

[Edited on 7-19-2015 by bajabuddha]

86 - 45*

treuboff
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2015 at 09:17 PM

The fish market in Ensenada. No trashfish. 90 pesos kilo for all except 100 pesos for Halibut, Black Sea bass. The trash fish are the ones that get old and are discarded back to the sea, which is a shame.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 7-19-2015 at 11:55 PM

Perry, was it all white, or did it have a slight 'vein' like snapper does? This new 'Swai' fish is all white, like halibut. Tilapia unfortunately looks like snapper, has a little red color to the meat; i'll never eat snapper again.

....That is, unless I catch it myself.... ;)

[Edited on 7-19-2015 by bajabuddha]

White like Halibut. Very uniform pieces and rolled in a plastic sheet, one piece at a time.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2015 at 09:05 PM

eeeewwwwww is all that comes to mind!

Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 08:57 AM

I guess it depends on one's perspective. What is trashfish for some is wonderful to others. Ask a Filipino their opinion on tilapia.

Reminds me a story my Mom once told about feeding a bunch of anthropologists who were over at the house for a faculty party catfish nuggets. This was in the early 60s, when catfish was considered "black peoples'" food. Everyone was delighted with the fish, until they were told what it was. Then, they grudgingly admitted it was pretty good.

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.