Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: GMOs
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 7-30-2015 at 11:36 AM
GMOs

How much of Baja's food is genetically engineered?

Here is the awful truth about GMOs in the United States and how the Congress is on the take from Monsanto at the expense of our health. We have a right to know what is in our food and have it labeled accordingly:

Source: Modern Farmer Magazine

"Late last week, the U.S. House of Representatives overwhelmingly passed a bill, H.R. 1599, that would ban states from forcing food companies to label products that contain genetically-modified ingredients. It’s the latest salvo in the great GMO debate that has raged for nearly as long as scientists have been able to manipulate genes, producing foods impossible to create by selective breeding or other natural methods.

FDA Approves GMO Apples And Potatoes

The GMO Labeling Fight Now Belongs to a 15-Year-Old Canadian Girl

Why Does Everyone Hate Monsanto?

“The widespread introduction of genetically engineered organisms into our food supply (with very little independent review) probably represents the biggest change in what we eat on a daily basis since the invention of refrigeration,” says Andrea Stander, a spokesperson for Rural Vermont, a grassroots organization that supports small farmers.

The right for the public to know whether their food has been made with GMOs is at the heart of the current fight. It’s been estimated that as much as 70 percent of the food Americans get at their local supermarket includes genetically engineered ingredients.

It’s a divisive issue that has managed to encompass such diverse topics as states’ rights, corporate transparency, political finance and small farmers versus Big Ag. It’s a bitter divide. Opponents of the House bill won’t even refer to it as the Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act of 2015, instead dubbing it the DARK Act (Deny Americans the Right-to-Know).

Americans “overwhelmingly” want to know if their food contains GMOs with “most polls” showing “that more than 90 percent of the public favors labeling,” says Colin O’Neil, director of government affairs for the watchdog organization the Center for Food Safety.

Tired of waiting for the federal government to act on the GMO labeling issue, Connecticut, Maine and Vermont all passed mandatory GMO labeling laws over the last few years. Similar initiatives are being considered in several other states. Industry groups, including the Grocery Manufacturers Association, the National Association of Manufacturers, the Snack Food Association and the International Dairy Foods Association, sued Vermont over its law—set to take effect next year—and lost. The case is currently on appeal.

The fight then moved to the House, and on July 23, H.R. 1599 won by a vote of 275-150 with Democrats from the centrist Blue Dog Coalition throwing their support behind Republicans.

“Passage of this bill is an attempt by Monsanto and its agribusiness cronies to crush the democratic decision-making of tens of millions of Americans. Corporate influence has won and the voice of the people has been ignored,” says O’Neil.

Supporters of the bill outspent opponents by more than three-and-a-half times, contributing nearly $25 million to House members’ campaigns, according to the organization Maplight.

Besides banning mandatory GMO labeling at the state and local level, the bill allows manufacturers to claim non-GMO status even if the product was made using “a GMO processing aid or enzyme” or is “derived from animals fed GMO feed or given GMO drugs.” It also keeps companies from claiming on their food labels that non-GMO products are safer than those that contain genetically-modified ingredients, and would create a voluntary system for GMO labeling.

Roger Lowe of the Grocery Manufacturers Association, a trade group for the food industry, praised the bill’s passage, saying that the “legislation strengthens consumer knowledge by establishing national uniform rules for foods carrying a GMO-free label” by putting it in the hands of the FDA and USDA.

“That way, people who want to buy GMO-free foods will have a way to do so,” he tells Modern Farmer in an email, reasoning that consumers will have the option to buy from companies who want to advertise their products are GMO-free. “This would help consumers far more than what is happening now with individual states establishing a patchwork of labeling laws with different standards, definitions and labels.”

According to Lowe, the state laws are “filled with loopholes and exemptions.” He cited Vermont’s law as an example, where “vegetable soup would require a special label while vegetable beef soup would be exempt because meat isn’t covered under the law. That will only result in consumer confusion.” The laws, Lowe says, would “result in severe consequences for America’s farmers, small businesses, and consumers” by driving up costs that “could total up to $500 per year for an average family of four” due to “costly new burdens” and a “complex maze of regulations.”

O’Neill disputes this, saying food companies change their labels “all the time” and the cost would be “negligible. Sixty-four countries around the world require GE [genetically engineered] food labeling and have not reported higher food costs as a result.”

Lowe says the “overwhelming scientific consensus is that GMO ingredients are as safe as any other food” and points to “The Food and Drug Administration and major scientific and health organizations” that have “found GMOs are safe for humans and positive for the environment.”

Stander begs to differ, telling Modern Farmer, “there is sufficient scientific evidence about potential harm to human health and the environment from genetically engineered food crops to warrant greater transparency by the producers of these products.”

While the passage of the House bill was hailed as a victory by supporters, the battle is far from over. A bill would have to make it through the Senate and then past President Barack Obama’s desk before it becomes law. Both sides hold out hope for how things will play out in the Senate.

“We remain confident that the Senate will preserve the rights of Americans and stand up for local democracy,” says O’Neil. “So far there has been little interest in the Senate to support this kind of legislation. With only a limited number of Democratic voting for it in the house, this anti-consumer bill will likely receive a cold reception in the Senate. A Senate version of the bill has not yet been introduced.”

Lowe says the GMA is “urging the Senate to pass this critically important legislation this year. Congress leaves for its August recess soon, and we’re pushing for Senate action in the fall.”

Meanwhile, the great GMO debate rages on.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2015 at 12:10 PM

Just so everyone knows, only food derived from plants can be genetically modified. Animals, not yet.

About 90% of the corn in the US is genetically modified as are many fruits and vegetables. What do these folks want? Labels on each ear of corn, each piece of fruit?

I suppose a sign above the bin would do. But it wouldn't stop me from buying it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_food
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 7-30-2015 at 12:15 PM

I believe Mexico banned GMO corn back in 2013......

http://www.nationofchange.org/mexico-bans-gmo-corn-effective...

I hear the whales song
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2015 at 12:15 PM

Plants have been genetically modified ever since the first humans began growing them...there is virtually not a single plant that has not been affected over the thousands of years of cultivation.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-30-2015 at 12:47 PM

EXCEPT the newest Monsanto frankenfood has been modified so that a bit of Roundup weed killer (and maybe worm killer?) in each seed at the molecular level. I wonder how much of that crap gets into a corn tortilla?

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2015 at 12:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 55steve  
Plants have been genetically modified ever since the first humans began growing them...there is virtually not a single plant that has not been affected over the thousands of years of cultivation.

It's true that selective and hybrid cultivation over time can produce genetically modified strains. A natural form of genetic engineering.

Now scientists are using bioengineering techniques to modify the genome in the laboratory. A completely different process that produces plants that would be impossible to produce via natural methods.

Much of it for the good. Higher crop yields, drought resistance, insect resistance etc. Millions of lives could be saved from starvation through the efforts of these scientists.

[Edited on 7-30-2015 by SFandH]
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-30-2015 at 01:57 PM

Corn as we know it is a GM food, and has been for several thousand years. It started off more like a wheat grass, and native central Mexican peoples slowly but surely modified it over time to 5-row, then 7-row, and eventually the size ears we have today. For the last thousand years (plus or minus a few) corn as we know it cannot reproduce on its' own; it has to be re-planted manually, or we wouldn't have corn, period. GMO corn made up 85% of the maize planted in the United States in 2009.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize

And, as SFandH says, GMO may be the only hope of feeding future world populations in the very near future.... another BILLION mouths to feed in the next twenty years; the earth is running out of growing room land-wise, let alone water aquifers. Them dang skientistises in their white lab coats bilking the Gov't for their funding..... I just wish they'd invent a third arm to grow out of my chest with a thumb on either side of the hand..... why don't they do something practical for a change, eh? How great would that be?

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 7-30-2015 at 02:43 PM

Excellent feedback (no pun intended).

It is true that GMOs could help to stave off starvation by feeding millions throughout the world. That is a good argument! Still, I won't eat it if I have a choice.

What I/We want is for all packaged food to be labeled so that I/We can make an informed decision; Cereals, tortillas, frozen or canned veggies and fruits, bread, etc.

As for fresh fruits and vegetables, I buy only Organic and eat only in restaurants that server Organic foods. Generally, small Organic farms would not knowingly buy GMO seeds. I have a good garden and also buy food from local producers during the Summer Farmers' Markets. In the off season, I buy Organically labeled foods in Supermarkets, but mostly from our local Coop Healthfood stores.

I eat only wild caught fish and only free range chickens and eggs. I do occasionally eat red meat, but only grass fed, no antibiotics, etc.

Many Organic producers voluntarily label their packages as "Non-GMO". That is what I buy. Hey! Maybe I don't have bad breath...d'ya think?....Naaaaaaah!

There is a huge movement throughout the world to eat only Organic and Non-GMO. If the government won't require producers to label their foods, and if the producers do not, then I have to assume that they are genetically modified. Monsanto is the biggest GMO seed supplier.

Bajabuddha wishes: "I just wish they'd invent a third arm to grow out of my chest with a thumb on either side of the hand..... why don't they do something practical for a change, eh? How great would that be?" I think you are in luck, however the scientists will not invent it. Babies will soon be born with only thumbs. It is an evolutionary result of incessant texting.

Some of you know that I have an incurable, rare form of Lymphoma Mantle Cell Lymphoma. It is impossible to know how I got it but sprays in our foods are highly suspect. The barn door has probably opened for me, but due to my illness I have gotten rather fanatically vigilant.

I have way outlived my prognosis and am currently in my third round of six month Chemo treatments. Other than the immediate side effects, which are awful, I bounce back and actually have a good quality of life.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-30-2015 at 03:06 PM

Tony, I think natural selection will actually reduce the number of texters in the world... unfortunately, it will be behind the wheel of a car, and I hope i'm not on their receiving end.

Good luck with your endeavors and buen salud. We're having store-bought beef ribs and GMO corn on the cob for dinner tonight..... and martinis at 5:00 as always, to ward off any dangerous germs, of course.
:coolup:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 7-30-2015 at 04:45 PM

Interesting topic ... Man's ability to "patent" life .. And a topic which the Supreme Court has avoided making a "call" on ... :):)

Wonder how this guy would view the impact of his work today

"Gregor Johann Mendel (20 July 1822[1] – 6 January 1884) was a German-speaking Moravian[2] scientist and Augustinian friar who gained posthumous fame as the founder of the modern science of genetics. Though farmers had known for centuries that crossbreeding of animals and plants could favor certain desirable traits, Mendel's pea plant experiments conducted between 1856 and 1863 established many of the rules of heredity, now referred to as the laws of Mendelian inheritance."

Evolution has no favorites

how much in a "corn" tortilla ... depends on how long ya cook it over a fire ... :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 7-30-2015 by wessongroup]
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2015 at 05:00 PM

If I may ask, is there any conclusive evidence that people who eat GMO foods have suffered from any specific illnesses?

I would consider myself to be an ex-hippie tree hugger type who would rail at a company like Monsanto for putting the health of the general public at risk or profit, but I've yet to see where GMO foods have caused any harm. And given that they may feed more people...

Speaking of Monsanto, does anyone recall the ride first built at the New York Worlds Fair and later transferred to Disneyland where the pot heads would smoke on the ride?
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2015 at 05:04 PM

toneart,

Glad to hear treatments are working. As far as the dramatic increase in cancer rates, who knows, it's such a complicated conglomeration of diseases.

But, if I had to bet on a likely cause of the increase in the past few decades, I'd bet on the atmospheric testing of over 500 nuclear bombs when you and I were in our formative years. Ionizing radiation definitely causes cancer, many times years and years after exposure.

It's tough to pin down though, especially considering all the chemicals that have been dumped into our rivers, lakes, and the atmosphere.

GMOs are yet another wild card.

[Edited on 7-31-2015 by SFandH]
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2015 at 06:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
If I may ask, is there any conclusive evidence that people who eat GMO foods have suffered from any specific illnesses?

I would consider myself to be an ex-hippie tree hugger type who would rail at a company like Monsanto for putting the health of the general public at risk or profit, but I've yet to see where GMO foods have caused any harm. And given that they may feed more people...

Speaking of Monsanto, does anyone recall the ride first built at the New York Worlds Fair and later transferred to Disneyland where the pot heads would smoke on the ride?

Answering your first question - no

I'm one of the almost original Hippies but have since gotten my wits about me but my wife probably won't agree!

We went to Disney World in Florida in maybe 1988 and I vividly remember the massive Monsanto display/building and the ride!

[Edited on 7-31-2015 by 55steve]
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 7-30-2015 at 06:45 PM

Not sure which ride you are referring to but we lit up on the Pirates of the Caribbean once, my friend had long hair (duh) and when he bent down to light it he caught his hair on fire....it wasn't the first one of the day. We were in the very back row of the boat but I'm sure everyone on the boat knew what was up..:lol:

edit: sorry for the hijack...

[Edited on 7-31-2015 by dtbushpilot]

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-30-2015 at 07:03 PM

cmon, DT. we've seen your hair! friend, eh?:light::biggrin::P

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 7-30-2015 at 08:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
cmon, DT. we've seen your hair! friend, eh?:light::biggrin::P

It was his hair not mine but back then I had hair, lots of it....:lol:

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 7-30-2015 at 08:48 PM

"At present, no verifiable evidence of adverse health effects of BD foods has been reported, although the current passive reporting system probably would not detect minor or rare adverse effects or a moderate increase in effects with a high background incidence such as diarrhea."

http://toxsci.oxfordjournals.org/content/71/1/2.full

An acceptable level of risk, for a substance used in the production of Food and/or Fiber, is set in Law at one cancer in a million for humans, in most cases ... only problem with that approach .. IF you are the "one"

When taken as a whole, that would be all industrial chemicals produced by man, which we® are exposed to in a life time ... there isn't anything on the books ... not enough data to make any fact based conclusions ... only assessments to health and/or risk can be made ... with economics playing a large role in over all direction of things made and/or used to live on this planet ... at this time

Kinda like the atmosphere ... :biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks tone .. a good one :):)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto_Canada_Inc_v_Schmeise...

[Edited on 7-31-2015 by wessongroup]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2015 at 10:01 AM

Here are two videos about GMO foods engineered by Monsanto to be resistant to their herbicide Roundup. The idea is that farmers can then use Roundup directly on the crops to kill weeds without killing the crop.

These videos are at nutritionfacts.org which is a website run by Dr. Michael Gregor, MD. The website has a lot of interesting information about nutrition and disease.

As you will see, he backs up what he says with peer reviewed scientific studies.

These two short videos are meant to be watched in sequence.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/are-gmos-safe-the-case-of-ro...

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-monsantos-roundup-pestici...

As you might guess, eating Roundup is not a good idea and that's what you're doing with Roundup resistant crops sprayed with Roundup.

[Edited on 7-31-2015 by SFandH]
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 7-31-2015 at 11:56 AM

Once again it's money before ethics and that's been the business model for a long time. This gene that allows a plant to survive Roundup Herbicide does not carry any protection for your consumption of the tainted products.
The conversation is cleverly diverted from one of the real dangers and that's consuming products that have been treated with pesticides and herbicides. We aren't even touching the ecological and environmental impact that is undeniably taking place as a result of these chemicals and practices.
Those Dems and Reps have done their masters proud once again and like Pavlov's Dog their eagerly waiting to push the button for another campaign contribution.
All we asked for was a choice and they wouldn't give it to us.
They have made it pretty obvious they represent Big Business Not The Consumer :fire:
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2015 at 04:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 55steve  

Answering your first question - no

I'm one of the almost original Hippies but have since gotten my wits about me but my wife probably won't agree!

We went to Disney World in Florida in maybe 1988 and I vividly remember the massive Monsanto display/building and the ride!

[Edited on 7-31-2015 by 55steve]

I had no idea that they had a similar ride at Disney World. The original exhibit from the New York World's Fair went straight out to Anaheim.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.