Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dark side of the moon and Baja hurricane
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2015 at 05:58 PM
Dark side of the moon and Baja hurricane

This is so cool to see. Great pic from space with a spinner just off the coast of Baja Sur and the far side of the moon transiting earth.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nasa-photo-moon-dark-sid...

Hurricane Carlos perhaps?

[Edited on 8-6-2015 by El Jefe]

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 09:04 AM

Agreed- very cool image. Thanks for posting. Amazing perspective.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 09:13 AM

Very cool, but I wonder if the moon's surface was 'photo-darkened' to look dark (for the story), because we should be seeing it as bright as a full moon is bright, in that image and video...

The daytime earth is in the background, the sun is behind the camera, so that moon would also be in full daylight.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 09:26 AM

Great image....once again, reading is fundamental.....

Quote:

EPIC takes a series of 10 images using different narrowband spectral filters -- from ultraviolet to near infrared -- to produce a variety of science products. The red, green and blue channel images are used in these color images. Combining three images taken about 30 seconds apart as the moon moves produces a slight but noticeable camera artifact on the right side of the moon. Because the moon has moved in relation to the Earth between the time the first (red) and last (green) exposures were made, a thin green offset appears on the right side of the moon when the three exposures are combined. This natural lunar movement also produces a slight red and blue offset on the left side of the moon in these unaltered images.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 10:48 AM

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 11:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Sweetwater  
Great image....once again, reading is fundamental....

Great pic ....."As The World Turns" ;D

Don't believe everything you think....
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 11:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Sweetwater  
Great image....once again, reading is fundamental.....

Quote:

EPIC takes a series of 10 images using different narrowband spectral filters -- from ultraviolet to near infrared -- to produce a variety of science products. The red, green and blue channel images are used in these color images. Combining three images taken about 30 seconds apart as the moon moves produces a slight but noticeable camera artifact on the right side of the moon. Because the moon has moved in relation to the Earth between the time the first (red) and last (green) exposures were made, a thin green offset appears on the right side of the moon when the three exposures are combined. This natural lunar movement also produces a slight red and blue offset on the left side of the moon in these unaltered images.

Some people are so quick they only look at the pictures.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 11:29 AM

I am correct, and didn't need to read the filtered story. Lol. Like the sea level over 50 years being unchanged, my eyes don't deceive me (yet)! Thanks!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 11:38 AM

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 02:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I am correct, and didn't need to read the filtered story. Lol. Like the sea level over 50 years being unchanged, my eyes don't deceive me (yet)! Thanks!

Of course you are correct. You have already demonstrated that the only proof you need, to believe that you are correct, is the belief that you are correct. Perhaps, since your sense of reality is so much more acute than the rest of us, you can explain to we dummies how the "story" was "filtered". Yes folks, I realize I'm baiting a science denier. It is another slow day here. :lol:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 03:07 PM
Moon pics

Thanks for the post.

Certainty is the child of ignorance, knowledge is the mother of doubt. Question everything!

http://bcsbirds.com
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 03:29 PM

Perhaps I am missing something. Why is the moon dark? Red, Green and Blue will produce most all colors as did the old TV color tubes.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 03:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Perhaps I am missing something. Why is the moon dark? Red, Green and Blue will produce most all colors as did the old TV color tubes.

Maybe the color of the moon is greyish? Not a lot of blue water and greenery up there. Moondust is a bit lackluster perhaps?

Don't believe everything you think....
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 04:21 PM

The on-site 35 mm images of the moon showed it to be quite colorless if we discount gray. In terms of reflectivity and why it isn't brighter, I notice that it is the same color as the land masses on earth which are exposed to similar radiation minimally farther from the source. Another amazing thing I've lived to see.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2015 at 04:57 PM

Tom, you are baiting them to yell at you, too! LOL

Perry: Observation is real science! Predictions based on political ideology is just ridiculous! Things change, there is NO denial of that... observations of the past prove the sea levels were naturally higher long ago... they may raise back to those levels... just never in our human period on this planet. Man is not mightier than the earth. We may mess some things up briefly, but Nature wins in the end. We cannot reverse any natural change in temperatures by taxing Americans more.

At the miniscule sea level rising rate stated by some, it will be 400 years before our coastal towns are wet from daily high tides! I think we can move up by then!?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.