BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sorry this is my first post in ? 3yrs?
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 01:24 PM
Sorry this is my first post in ? 3yrs?

I received a call from Oggie's son Matt Thursday morning that he had lost his long fight with cancer at aprox. 2:30am. I had talked to Bob about a week before and we talked about a convoy to Bahia the end of Sept., we laughted about me taking his wife Diane on a Desert ride like he and his son Matt had gone with tthe big horn sheep counters years ago, this was the first time and quite by accident that I met Bob and his son Matt (thanks to Antionio, of turtle fame) and boy oh boy, it was quite an adventure!

I offered, and the family asked that any messages be sent here and I will see that the family gets them.

The family will be taking Bob aka Oggie to Bahia de los Angeles for his final rest. I will post here as soon as I know the details.

RIP my sweet. sweet friend, you are loved! Debra

Mean people suck!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 01:43 PM

Thanks for sharing... sorry for the loss of a Baja amigo.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 01:57 PM

Good to see you back Deborah, good friends or what life's all about! Rest well Oggie!

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 02:16 PM

Thank's for the welcome back woody, just wish the reason wasn't this lose................Bob was such a fun and good friend, I'm just numb! I just can't imagine what his wife Diane and his boys are going through right now. My heart is just broken.

Mean people suck!
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 03:41 PM

Sorry to hear about the bad news about Oggie.

We met Oggie almost 3 years go in Bahia de los Angeles while on a short side trip from our Beach House below San Felipe.

We met Oggie by accident really, we had checked into our hotel in Bahia and went back out for some tacos at a stand nearby. Oggie saw the BajaNomad sticker on our 4Runner and asked if I was BajaWarrior. Guilty, it was I, and Mrs. BajaWarrior too.

We spent some time together talking about, you guessed it, Baja. Later we went all went back to Oggie's place just South of town, we had a beer, checked out his place, then Oggie extended an invitation to come back at Sunset and have another beer and continue our conversation. I'll never forget just how beautiful an evening it was, watching Oggie's birds as he had set out bird feeders amongst his natural garden leading the Sea.

Oggie, it was a pleasure knowing you, thanks for an excellent afternoon.

[Edited on 8-7-2015 by BajaWarrior]

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 03:52 PM

My prayers and condolences. Didn't know the man, but I miss him. Another o'l time Baja soul goes home.
The gosh darn waiting line just keeps getting shorter.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 04:30 PM

I had the pleasure to bump into Bob (Oggie) a few years ago. I was changing a flat tire on my motorcycle at the Pemex farthest north of downtown Bahia de Los Angeles. He gave me a towel to wipe the grease off my face. My condolences go out to those who knew him.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2015 at 04:54 PM

Sorry for everyone's loss....welcome back...
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2015 at 07:03 PM

Bajadogs.........I noticed you live in Carlsbad, so did Bob! :biggrin:

If Bob didn't have a towel for your greasy face, it wouldn't surprise me if you told me he gave you his shirt, that is the sort of man he was.

I just miss him sooooo much already, it just doesn't seem real that he won't be calling, or ready to go on an overnight sheep counting trip, or just to get away into the desert for the day or overnight.

His wife Diane and his son Matt (I haven't met his other son) are also such good and sweet people. My heart breaks for them.

Mean people suck!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-17-2015 at 10:07 PM

I wish there was some regular posting from Camp Gecko so we can be more aware of the old gang who decided to lease there once Doc closed the camping and cabins. We rarely see posts from Bedman, 4baja, GeoRock, Debra, and who ever else has a place there. Paulina is nearby, and thankfully she keeps up the posting. I would love it if Mary Ann (who reads Nomad) would pop in, too! I miss the camping with friends at Gecko we did for a few New Years and Easter vacations!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2015 at 07:22 AM

We haven't been to our place at Gecko for 2 years due to issues with my Mom. I really miss it! I do get news via Cameo/Kate though.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2015 at 07:55 AM

Four days before Bob passed I sent him a fb message to let him know that I would count the falling stars for him in the Bahia night sky. He will be greatly missed.
I believe his son Matt posted that they will be having a memorial service for him down here in Bahia some time in October.
Welcome back to Nomad, Debra. Wish it were under different circumstances. I think of you every time I pull out the mosquito net hoops.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.