Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Spanish for dummies
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2015 at 11:09 AM
Spanish for dummies

With apologies to Baja Blanca

SPANISH FOR DUMMIES

I’ve lived in a small Mexican fishing village for the last 20 years. I don’t speak Spanish but I speak the language. I speak Pueblo --- this is, I say what I hear the villagers saying.

I have the book “501 Spanish Verbs”. Lately I’ve offered it to several gringo snowbirds who want to learn the language but so far, no takers. The thing just sits there daring me from the bookcase. I have begun a hundred times to memorize the words but the book is for readers who want to earn a Pulitzer in Spanish.

The first verb I tried to learn is an important thing to my wellbeing: EAT. I thought that would be a snap; it is only three letters and everybody eats so I jumped right on it. Then I learned a lot of rules about permission, daydreaming and guessing. The conjugations were messy: I eat, I am eating, you, ate, ate, we, will, would, may, might, have, had, shall have, would have, may have and I might have. Whew!

I was thinking “Maybe I have swerved into something here.” So that’s why my neighbors don’t speak proper Spanish; they are bad guessers and don’t like to be told when to eat.

Verbs are action words and many of my Mexican friends and neighbors, like me, don’t move around much (especially in the summer). So I gave up on learning the 14 ways to make sure no one mistakes my meaning. I was able to cut the list down to 3 or 4 conjugations. Then I thought “Can’t that plan work for all verbs?”

The plan works for me. If I want to tell somebody I went to La Paz I just say La Paz, point NW and say “The other day”. Now there are some grumbling gringos who might scold me for walking around my backhand but that’s often a plus since I use about 5 times more Spanish words than I need and in that sense learn more of the language.

Another plus to this simple method is that I am forced to talk about things that stay put, don’t move around and I kid you not, there are thousands of them to choose from. The adjectives don’t really warrant any serious study because most of them aren’t in the dictionary --- they are mostly all curse words (and really good ones too).

Choyeros don’t care to speak proper Spanish to Mexicans from D. F. because they get lost in the verbiage. I’m often flattered when I’m asked to interpret for visitors. The greetings, the message is usually cut short because of the cursing. The mainlanders can sometimes compete with the cursing as we both learn some Mayan and Indian words meant for very adult people.

When I don’t get all of the local language, I know they must be talking about things that move which they do not wish to describe with adjectives. I have yet to run out of nouns. I told you, you can’t count em.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-20-2015 at 11:31 AM

Excellent, exactly the way I learnt. A few random words and now I'm pretty good at getting a sideways look on occasion! After a couple of days tho, I'm almost fluent in Pueblo!

[Edited on 9-20-2015 by woody with a view]

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2015 at 12:10 PM

Glorifying bad spanish in well written english is funny. Don`t leave the pueblo!
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2015 at 12:58 PM

Glorifying? Glorifying? Now I'll have to go look that up.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-20-2015 at 01:24 PM

Most of the Spanish I know, I learned in the late 50s and 60s when my family would spend several months at Manzanillo on the mainland. Not much English was spoken there then, and as a youngster, it was easy to soak up enough lingo to get by.

I was never very good grammatically, but the few words I knew came off close enough to the right inflection and cadence to fool people into thinking I understood more than I actually did.

The pattern continues today, aggravated by hearing loss, and CRS (can't remember sh!t) so I have a lot of one way conversations and puzzled looks.

Some times the correct word pops into my mind, that I did not even think I knew, other times the word is completely wrong. For instance, I know I told several people (in Spanish) that my old dog was my sweetheart, but the word I used was Tia (aunt). I think it was Coco that was kind enough to correct me. Most people are too polite to correct my poor Spanish, but I wish they would!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2015 at 03:04 PM

I love this ! And I can certainly relate after staying in Poland and throwing out words and hoping against hope that someone would understand. They say that this is the secret to learning faster. Throw it out there and eventually the brain puts sense into it.

I gotta tell ya, compared to Polish, Spanish is pan comido.

(I just learned this new expression recently. Pan comido or bread that has been eaten = a piece of cake).

Very well written, Osprey. No dummies here!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2015 at 07:31 PM

Once you've mastered conjugating the verb "ch!ngar", you've conquered a very wide swath of Mexican Spanish.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
lamissmanners

[*] posted on 9-20-2015 at 07:49 PM

As a person who flunked Spanish 101 three times before I went on to Spanish 102 I feel your pain. The 500 Spanish Verbs is not the way to go to learn. Ha the best way is to date someone with whom you don't share a common language! Duolingo.com is a good site to learn with and it works on the slow internet in Baja.
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-22-2015 at 06:17 PM

I was asked by a motel clerk in GroNegro where I learned Spanish. I told him, "En la calle." He had obviously spent time in the States & said, "Hey, what up Holmes!"
I said, "No esa calle."

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.