Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: saving our environement
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 05:13 PM
saving our environement

A lot of new mines proposed in Baja Sur. The approval of Los Cardones being the latest caught up in what might be Dirty/corrupt politics. These people should listen to the POPE.

"Pope Francis called on world leaders gathered at the United Nations in New York on Friday to take firm action on the environment, blaming a "selfish and boundless thirst for power and material" for its destruction.

"We human beings are part of the environment," Francis said. "We live in communion with it, since the environment itself entails ethical limits which human activity must acknowledge and respect. ... Any harm done to the environment, therefore, is harm done to humanity."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/09/25/pope-fra...

So should a few on this forum as well.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 05:15 PM

"A selfish and boundless thirst for power and material prosperity" that misuses natural resources and degrades the environment also leads to social ills by excluding those who are physically, economically or politically weak, he said. "Economic and social exclusion is a complete denial of human fraternity and a grave offense against human rights and the environment."
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 05:23 PM

Word!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 05:25 PM

what will happen when overnight, 6+ billion people are thrust into the modern world? prosperity for all means more consumption and more pollution to go around exponentially.

although its nice to think about the implications are complicated.

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 05:48 PM

Thank you, rts551.

On the environment, Francis said Christians and other religions believe man is supposed to take care of nature. "He is not authorized to abuse it, much less to destroy it."

I am not Catholic but rather, an Agnostic. Not a believer nor a disbeliever. I am a skeptic and question all doctrines. However, I watched a lot of The Pope's speeches and masses. Even on TV, his humble benevolence comes across. He is truly a positive force on this earth. :saint:

Hopefully, that will override any malevolence, and political harm. That is a tall order, but Good wins out over Evil, ultimately. Pretty positive for a skeptic, huh! :light:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 06:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by toneart  
Thank you, rts551.

On the environment, Francis said Christians and other religions believe man is supposed to take care of nature. "He is not authorized to abuse it, much less to destroy it."

I am not Catholic but rather, an Agnostic. Not a believer nor a disbeliever. I am a skeptic and question all doctrines. However, I watched a lot of The Pope's speeches and masses. Even on TV, his humble benevolence comes across. He is truly a positive force on this earth. :saint:

Hopefully, that will override any malevolence, and political harm. That is a tall order, but Good wins out over Evil, ultimately. Pretty positive for a skeptic, huh! :light:

Tony, you sound like a Unitarian with that positive attitude. :-) Overall, we really like this Pope.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 06:24 PM

if he was REALLY a noble person wouldn't he throw those pedophile priests to the (cops) wolves?

religion=control

i figured that much out in 1st grade during my K-6th grade stint with the nuns!

hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 06:26 PM

Altho I am strongly relating to Woodys real world asessment, I was also somewhat enlightened by by tone arts thoughtful view. Agnostic or unitarian, positivity soothes the soul.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 06:37 PM

Well said Tony, unfortunately it does not take long for the prosperous to come out in defense of the status quo. They miss the message somehow...or maybe don't care.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 07:35 PM

Without mines, we have no copper for electricity. No gold for jewelry. No steel for building and automotive, etc.

What is the alternative? Grass huts and hunting gathering?

I am not being an a....hole. But really, what is the other choice?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 07:44 PM

The key words Tio, were "A selfish and boundless thirst for power and material prosperity" that misuses natural resources and degrades the environment"

misuse and degradation. The choice is ours!
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 07:45 PM

So we need to slow down the college diploma machines.... Apparently we need a lot of poverty to keep the consumption at bay.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 08:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
Without mines, we have no copper for electricity. No gold for jewelry. No steel for building and automotive, etc.

Keep on consuming, mining and polluting, and when you run out of things to buy and fuel to burn , then perhaps you will stop worshipping at the altar of online shopping, and find a sense of purpose in a non material world, even if you are hunting, gathering and living in a grass hut. Perhaps hunting, gathering and living in a grass hut beats living in a suburb with the hordes in cookie cutter houses, commuting in your big gas guzzling SUV, and working in a cubicle for the a large soulless (or faux soul) corporation. Eh?

DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 08:14 PM

Population growth has, and will continue to have a direct impact on climate change.
Yet the pope refuses to address the absolute necessity of birth control as an effective component of population control.

Both topics need to be included in discussions of the care of the planet and in the management of the global economy.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 08:35 PM

What he said ^^
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 08:41 PM

Hey Goat, you missed the boat!
Your portable laptop that you spout your negative hateful posts from is powered by ....... Yes, you guessed it! Fossil fuels!
How much mining has it taken to accommodate your 8,495 meaningless posts on this forum? How many gallons of fuel has it taken to power the water heater to allow you to shower your old wrinkled arse?
Think about that while sitting in your ivory tower!
Better yet, don't..... Save the earth by not responding. Ever!
Good day, eh.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 08:45 PM

I can see that Papa Francisco's words had no impact here. On any front. Time to move on. Thanks for the good words Tony.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 08:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

Keep on consuming, mining and polluting, and when you run out of things to buy and fuel to burn , then perhaps you will stop worshipping at the altar of online shopping, and find a sense of purpose in a non material world, even if you are hunting, gathering and living in a grass hut. Perhaps hunting, gathering and living in a grass hut beats living in a suburb with the hordes in cookie cutter houses, commuting in your big gas guzzling SUV, and working in a cubicle for the a large soulless (or faux soul) corporation. Eh?

Nice diatribe Goat... But, still looking for the alternative choice

We are nothing more than a sophisticated mold on this rock... When the mold overgrows the rock, things change...

I do think the Pope is a sincere guy... But it's gonna be a rough road..

TT
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2015 at 08:39 AM

"A selfish and boundless thirst for power and material prosperity" that misuses natural resources and degrades the environment also leads to social ills by excluding those who are physically, economically or politically weak, he said. "Economic and social exclusion is a complete denial of human fraternity and a grave offense against human rights and the environment."

Amen.
Pope did not "refuse" to address population growth. He said what he said. Strip mining is an abuse of natural resources. Black lung disease, polluted water, cancer is the result. Slashing and burning thousands of acres of the Amazon forest to plant opium poppies is an abuse of natural resources. Disruptive fishing that destroys ecosystems that prevents marine species from re-populating. C'mon - you know the instances of abuse of natural resources, the slave labor that supports it and resulting (literal) ills. Greed is one of the cardinal sins.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2015 at 08:47 AM

yes, greed is bad. perhaps he was talking about the multinational corporations who pay slave wages and no taxes?

i've been greedy a few times before. like when the surf is approaching perfection and i need to get 3 more waves!

edit: bless me Father for i have sinned, but please keep your hands to yourself!:lol:

[Edited on 9-26-2015 by woody with a view]

[Edited on 9-26-2015 by woody with a view]

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.