Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Port Angeles crossing
barniclebob
Junior Nomad

sad.gif posted on 10-11-2015 at 12:36 PM
Port Angeles crossing

I was detained and turned back @ the Victoria USA crossing for no apparent reason on Friday night. The female border guard seemed to take great pleasure in making my life difficult because she could!!!!!Over Zealous would be kind words for her behaviour.She found nothing about me except that I was denied entry once back in 1993.So now the onus is for me to prove that I don't have a criminal record.Hope the RCMP can provide this paper work after this long weekend holiday and let me go on my way to be with you fine folks ???FRUSTRATING THOUGH!!!!ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGg
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 10-11-2015 at 01:21 PM

What has this got to do with Baja?
Puerto Angeles is a long way from Puerto Lopez Mateos......

I hear the whales song
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-11-2015 at 02:35 PM

Trying to get to Baja, I would imagine?

I am sorry about the run-in you had with the big government we have down here, barniclebob! Can you tell us what it was in 1993 that kept you out of the "land of the free"? Nomads love to have stuff to chew on!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2015 at 03:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by barniclebob  
I was detained and turned back @ the Victoria USA crossing for no apparent reason on Friday night. The female border guard seemed to take great pleasure in making my life difficult because she could!!!!!Over Zealous would be kind words for her behaviour.She found nothing about me except that I was denied entry once back in 1993.So now the onus is for me to prove that I don't have a criminal record.Hope the RCMP can provide this paper work after this long weekend holiday and let me go on my way to be with you fine folks ???FRUSTRATING THOUGH!!!!ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGg

"The female border guard seemed to take great pleasure in making my life difficult because she could!!!!"

There's your answer.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2015 at 04:17 PM

:P:P:P
barniclebob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 08:24 AM

Yeah back in 93 I was going to get cheap gas and dairy @ the Sumas border since I was living in Chilliwack and the border guard told me I couldn't enter the land of the free and go back to Canada. Cause he could I guess??So that red flag 25 years later is causing me grief .Lovely time being had @ Walmart parking lot for 4 days!!!!Look forward to getting down to the Baja ASAP
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 08:30 AM

So you are not allowed into/through the US because you tried to buy gas and milk in 1993.....:?: Methinks there is more to the story.

Quote: Originally posted by barniclebob  
Yeah back in 93 I was going to get cheap gas and dairy @ the Sumas border since I was living in Chilliwack and the border guard told me I couldn't enter the land of the free and go back to Canada. Cause he could I guess??So that red flag 25 years later is causing me grief .Lovely time being had @ Walmart parking lot for 4 days!!!!Look forward to getting down to the Baja ASAP
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 09:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

I am sorry about the run-in you had with the big government we have down here, barniclebob! Can you tell us what it was in 1993 that kept you out of the "land of the free"? Nomads love to have stuff to chew on!

Having passed through a number of US and Canadian border stations this summer, the Canadian border people are NO different than the US border people --- some are very friendly and some are real jerks ---- the statement of it being because we have big government is really nonsensical and another one of your trolls ---- and it worked! :saint:

barniclebob I hope you get it all straightened out soon, and frankly, what happened in 1993 is no one's business.

We are in Montana now, but don't think we will hit the border this trip. Our next border will probably be Mexico and they also and very nice border people and some real jerks. Back to enjoying our travels and retirement that our investments have made possible.

[Edited on 10-12-2015 by DianaT]

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 11:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Having passed through a number of US and Canadian border stations this summer, the Canadian border people are NO different than the US border people --- some are very friendly and some are real jerks ---- the statement of it being because we have big government is really nonsensical and another one of your trolls ---- and it worked! :saint:

barniclebob I hope you get it all straightened out soon, and frankly, what happened in 1993 is no one's business.

We are in Montana now, but don't think we will hit the border this trip. Our next border will probably be Mexico and they also and very nice border people and some real jerks. Back to enjoying our travels and retirement that our investments have made possible.

[Edited on 10-12-2015 by DianaT]

You're the only one who bit Diane....

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 12:10 PM

Hope you don't have to go through what we did. In 2007 I married my Canadian wife who had been traveling from Canada to Baja for the past 15+ years without incident. However I decided to take a road trip to Edmonton to pickup some of her personal belongings. When we tried to cross into the US at the Koots/Sweetgrass, Mt POE the CBP guy looked at all the stuff in my truck and asked if we were married. When I answered yes they removed her from my truck and deported her back to Canada. Then when I tried to cross back into Canad I was denied entry because they new that my wife had been deported. So I continued back to Baja alone and she had to get a non-stop flight from Calgary to MX City and then to TJ where I picked her up a week later. Once she had that flag on her Canadian passport she could no longer enter the US until she got a US permanent residence card which took 2+ years, about $4000 and 2 trips to Juarez for interviews.

PS: the official record of this incident stated that she was trying to illegaly imigrate to the US even though I showed plenty of evidence that our home was in Baja; not the US.

[Edited on 10-12-2015 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
barniclebob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 12:47 PM

Wow Bob,makes my story pretty lame!!Just posted this story since there were other folks in the line-up heading to the Baja and probably wanted to know what was going on??Will try again tomorrow and yes Sherie I have some Salmon for you!!Ha-ha
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 12:49 PM

I've never meet a border patrol i thought was any good . Big ego"s and little common sense .

I just keep smiling and nodding while i remember that they make chit for pay .

The brains match the pay . Guess you get what you pay for .

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ligui  
I've never meet a border patrol i thought was any good . Big ego"s and little common sense .

This may be a case where perception becomes your reality. In dozens of crossings over more than 40 years I have had only a couple of problems with the US officers. Many are simply straightforward which, I suppose, could be viewed as aggressive but I have not found that to be the case. As with any law enforcement agency,IMHO, there are 5-10% who never should have been given a badge but I seem to rarely meet them.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 03:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ligui  

Regular GS Pay Scale for CBP Officers???
Does anyone know why CBP officers receive the regular GS pay scale currently at $26,699 for GS 5 opposed to the LE GS pay scale currently $32,933 for GS 5? If CBP officers are not considered law enforcement what does the government considers them? Are not CBP officers at least on the same level as LE Park Rangers? Stopping drugs and weapons of mass destruction from interring the U.S. vs. making sure hikers stay on the trail?? I am on the outside looking in. Someone please explain.

[url=www.911jobforums.com/f58/regular-gs-pay-scale-cbp-officers-29362/
]www.911jobforums.com/f58/regular-gs-pay-scale-cbp-officers-29362/
[/url]

The salary range for an ICE Special Agent is $40,000 – $68,000. There is an added Law Enforcement Availability Pay and ICE agents qualify for Federal benefits. Retirement is at age 50 or after 20 years of service.

[Edited on 10-12-2015 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
frizkie
Nomad

Mood: tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-13-2015 at 11:00 PM
Hey Barniclebob

Very interesting reading your post re Port Angeles. I cross there every year and have done for 15 plus years and will be crossing in two weeks....I was wondering if this was as you were in Victoria waiting for the ferry or was it on the US side???
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 10-14-2015 at 12:15 AM

sorry to hear of your problems at the border.

I know the feeling, I couldn't get into Canada once, at a small border crossing in Montana...not because of anything really, just because THEY said that I was planning to go into the country and stay and work there. Because I was married and traveling alone, not with my husband, they thought I was on the run. They kept asking me why I was traveling alone. Ummm because I've traveled all over the U.S. alone since my late teens, yes women do travel alone, sheesh. I was harassed, treated like a criminal...which I have no criminal record whatsoever.

I kid you not, it was so CRAZY! They even called my Canadian friends who were waiting for me at a restaurant on the Canadian side to vouche for me, who had traveled from Sask to meet me. But still wouldn't let me in.

But I really think it had to do with all the African and middle eastern drums I was carrying as I was going to a drumming festival, I think they red-flagged me because of the drums. This was right after 9-11. Although I have crossed into British Columbia many times with a trunk load of drums with never a problem, but these guys were Yahoo's.

I hope it works out for you!! Good luck!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-14-2015 at 06:30 AM

You got "drummed out" of Canada, eh?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

barniclebob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2015 at 09:56 AM

So the adventure continues.RCMP in Langford sent me back to Parksville (home town) for fingerprinting in search of a criminal record.What happened in 1993 was possession of .01 gram of Marijuana showed up on my radar from years ago. That signalled a red flag???Since then I,ve gotten a pardon so nothing shows up anymore.Thinking of using the Bellingham border crossing next time out??Hope they don't read this stuff ha-ha the big fat female border guard said to me that things could be worst if I had been flagged by an ugly women.Instead I was getting the full package !!!Really had to bite my tongue
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2015 at 02:46 PM

...believe me Barney,,they're playing 'nice' so far, if the US border has allowed you to return to canada to obtain verification of a clean criminal record. Protocol now is to require an I-192 form, which takes a ~$500 fee, requires crim search in both canada and us,, and then -months- of wait for the US to then declare,,''ohh, no record afterall,, we declare you not inadmissible''. Their stupid 'not inadmissible' letter must then be shown each and every time you cross the border,,,,and renewed each 5 year$$$!!

An 1-192 requi$ition can be issued for an affirmative answer to ...''have you ever smoked pot?'' ,,,or for the ''suspicion that you -might- have a criminal record'' :fire:

...good luck with getting on with your trip,, call it an exercise in tolerance?

...Think of the poor blokes who drive down with family, get dinged for a 40yo possession charge on their way back north.... better hope the wife drives!

[Edited on 10-14-2015 by micah202]
frizkie
Nomad

Mood: tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-14-2015 at 07:58 PM
port Angeles is a long way from Baja????

Geez, Rick .... we don't all go to Baja from California ya know. Sometimes people have to drive a wee bit further.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.