Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: uploading photos to Nomads
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2015 at 03:45 PM
uploading photos to Nomads

The fairly new way of adding photos via the add attachment function in the post editor nomad box works well as long as your image is 1600 max wide and less than 250k in size.

I am not affiliated by dropbox and I am not looking to get more free space, just sharing a great tool.

If you want to display a higher quality image, here is an alternate way.
Use dropbox.com free storage of 2GB to 16GB
It does not compress your file as does photo bucket and the others, and it is a one click operation. Very well organized. Your files are not public unless you want them to be public. So you can share one image and that is all the viewer will see, not all of your vacation picks, unless you want them showing.
You generate your link by copy/ paste.
you can share folders or images, or not.
you can share between your mobile devices and your pc with one click
etc etc very easy , free and secure. Drop box never looses your files, It is a cloud storage server and can handle most all types of files, png, tiff, swf, svg, exe,mp4 all video files etc.
to post in most forums just paste in the link or for an image to show alter the link as shown below and paste into your forum. For nomads reduce your file size to max of 800 wide before uploading to drop box.

Get an acct at dropbox.com and it will create a folder on your device, right click on an image you uploaded and the dropbox link will be in your clip board like this

Code:
https:// www.dropbox.com/s/h75b3bv33nj2s04/davidkscrnshot2.png?dl=0

with out the space

link will look like this

Code:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h75b3bv33nj2s04/davidkscrnshot2.png?dl=0

and to place an image in any forum or any place, change the link to this

Code:
https:// dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/h75b3bv33nj2s04/davidkscrnshot2.png

from this

Code:
https:// www.dropbox.com/s/h75b3bv33nj2s04/davidkscrnshot2.png?dl=0

note
Code:
www.dropbox.com

was changed to
Code:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com

and anything after the file name was deleted, in this case ?dl=0

using notepad copy/paste takes a lot less time than even reading this.
Use find/replace for multiple pics.

to display your pic add the [img] [/img] tags and you get this

Code:
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/h75b3bv33nj2s04/davidkscrnshot2.png[/img]

and the image is...from above code

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-9-2015 at 05:06 PM

OK, but why all the black...? Here is what that map, linked from Photobucket looks like, posted here on Nomad>>>

I am sure we all have different comfort levels when using the Internet. I will try out your method. If it makes maps look full size here I will consider it as a new method to use.

By-the-way, Photobucket has Private and Public settings too. I choose to share all my Baja maps because they don't do anyone any good if I am the only one that can see them.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2015 at 05:51 PM

Because I did not post an image of the map, it is an image of the screen shot of your PB page via my comp., It could be any image.
for example

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2015 at 06:38 PM
Photobucket 2009 & 2007 photos

Above is 800 pixels.
Below is 640 pixels.

Baja critters are cute!

[Edited on 11-10-2015 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2015 at 06:52 PM

Good Job... very clear images. I am glad others will "consider it".
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2015 at 07:09 PM

Wow --- the quality of the picture from dropbox is great ---- THANKS

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2015 at 07:49 PM

David pics are 37k and 77k thanks to photobucket, Tarantula pic is 411k. The difference in quality is obvious. Denada Diana. btw, my pic is from my 15 yo camera.

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 11-9-2015 at 07:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  
Because I did not post an image of the map, it is an image of the screen shot of your PB page via my comp., It could be any image.
for example

Outstanding resolution in the photo, what was the original rez vs the posted rez? Looks like a nice tool for higher rez photos?

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2015 at 08:08 PM

Hey Ken,
out of the camera was a 1000k, 1 meg jpg, size and resolution reduced in Gimp and saved out as a png to not be further compressed.
I just discovered that you can reduce the physical size and pic compression with in Dropbox eliminating 3rd party like Gimp ( open source photoshop type editor)
Since the 3 or 4 other forums that I post to automatically reduce to fit users screen size and or create links to full size images, it is rare that I need to reduce the size myself. Modern forum software does it all.
I am now shooting 6meg and 24 meg getting great detail, even more than above and it would be a shame to let photobucket stomp it down to 77k LOL Bandwidth is dirt cheap now, might as well use it. Dropbox is the most popular and easiest to use, and free but there are many cloud servers offering similar free bandwidth storage. And it is a lot faster than hot linking to a FB photo, which is also a free storage space and compression is only about 10%. But who knows, FB may stop hot linking some day.

on edit, camera and spider, both hand held, cfl bulb and flash for lighting, shot at 2am on a bano run :)

[Edited on 11-10-2015 by willyAirstream]

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2015 at 08:46 PM

Hey Ken,
out of the camera was a 1000k, 1 meg jpg, size and resolution reduced in Gimp and saved out as a png to not be further compressed.
I just discovered that you can reduce the physical size and pic compression with in Dropbox eliminating 3rd party like Gimp ( open source photoshop type editor)
Since the 3 or 4 other forums that I post to automatically reduce to fit users screen size and or create links to full size images, it is rare that I need to reduce the size myself. Modern forum software does it all.
I am now shooting 6meg and 24 meg getting great detail, even more than above and it would be a shame to let photobucket stomp it down to 77k LOL Bandwidth is dirt cheap now, might as well use it. Dropbox is the most popular and easiest to use, and free but there are many cloud servers offering similar free bandwidth storage. And it is a lot faster than hot linking to a FB photo, which is also a free storage space and compression is only about 10%. But who knows, FB may stop hot linking some day.

on edit, camera and spider, both hand held, cfl bulb and flash for lighting, shot at 2am on a bano run :)

I love all this information as I have so much to learn. I have never even looked in .png until now. :-)

I have used snug mug some for family, but don't know how to link and there are things there I don't care for --- probably because I can't figure them out. :biggrin:

Thanks --- and BTW ---I know those critters are nice ones, but if I tried to take that picture, it would suffer from MAJOR camera shake. :-)

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2015 at 08:56 PM

LOL yeah I swallowed hard before picking it up. I was shaking :)
Had 7 of them in Sept in the bano as they were attracted by the light. This one was the smallest and slowest.I Never turned the bedroom light on, just in case. :)

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2015 at 08:57 PM

My cameras were no way near what willyAirstream has, that is the quality difference and has nothing to do with Photobucket. It doesn't matter to me if I don't have killer photos as the purpose of my postings are not to attempt at best photo but instead to create interest in Baja itself.

DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2015 at 10:45 PM

Who was on the baņo run, you or the spider?

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 12:17 AM

DavidT-Both on the run hahah

David K, I am only offering an alternate to uploading images, an alternate that works on all platforms.

The camera used for the spider pic is 15 years old, bought on ebay for 50usd, my 3rd one. a coolpic 995

Great photos create great interest and High resolution maps can be printed . I carry high resolution maps in my tablet for traveling, great to be able to zoom in and read detail.
I am not going to argue with you, but photobucket compresses your images unless you are using a pinhole camera creating those 37k files. technology took a leap, hop on board

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 07:34 AM

You have it right, WillyAir.....the discussion has come up before about what Photobucket does to your pictures. Some people just can not understand bits, bytes, and pixels.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 08:18 AM

Doesn't matter to me as long as users respect the Nomad width limit of 800 pixels. Also an easy step by step How To will be the best way to make any system user friendly.

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 09:59 AM

for example

Bueno, gracias.

Always looking to make improvements. Bloody cameras with wi-fi now download through Google whenever they connect. It encourages laziness and sloth without much thought to the outcome. Many of my photos can never be duplicated and as I look through the slides of the Wind Rivers from the '80's, they don't transfer to digital with their inherent depth and resolution. Digital has been a double edged sword.

Good work and thanks again.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 10:14 AM

thanks, glad to help.
I have had some luck with a slide attachment gizmo, it attaches to the front of the digital camera about 8 inches out and you snap a pic. The problem is getting the correct light which is by trial and error lol takes forever. Not worth it for just a few slides.
I am blown away by the wifi connection to the PC and tablet, way easy. ( once it is set up, not easy) The action cam does not have a view finder, so I just bring the tablet close or a cell phone and instantly see what the cam is seeing. and you can control the action cam and the reg, camera remotely with the tablet or any device. Wha hoo Fun stuff.
One more incident...using the tablet for gps and for viewing /controlling the action cam is by touch screen, not doable bouncing around in the race car, we tried lol, screwed up everything.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 10:19 AM

Just an experiment --- I finally figured out how to link directly to SnugMug --- working on dropbox, and there is a definite difference from the one posted from photobucket. Overall, not the sharpest picture in the world due to the fact that I was hanging out the window of the truck and trying to make sure the bear did not want to visit the inside of the truck. A wee bit nervous as after I clicked a shot, I could not see bear which is never good. :-) But a real difference between the two!

Now I know why I have never liked photobucket.

THANKS --- THANKS and THANKS again

[Edited on 11-10-2015 by DianaT]

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2015 at 11:21 AM

Diana. Did you ask for approval before using SmugMug?

On edit: nice bear!

[Edited on 11-10-2015 by rts551]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.