Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Peso falls to 18:1 US$
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 1-15-2016 at 11:10 PM
Peso falls to 18:1 US$

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2016 at 03:31 AM

It got above 18.3 before the end of the day yesterday but closed at 18.26.

Who determine what exchange rate is used by retailers and service providers? While I strictly use pesos and encourage all of my visitors to do the same, there is such a wide range of exchange rates both posted and unposted. Over Christmas I filled up my truck at a Pemex in Baja Sur with a posted rate of 17 and again in Bahia Gonzaga with a posted rate of 15. The same at Alfoncinas. It would appear that the individual owners can use whatever rate the would like and the buyer beware. Crazy to shop for the best restaurant, lodging and fuel prices and then spend US $ on them.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2016 at 10:13 AM

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 1-16-2016 at 10:47 AM

Computers readings are not for the average bear like you and me.

Reality: At a Bancomer ATM in Loreto on Thursday I received 14,000 pesos back at the net rate of 17.76 to the $.

I am still happy with that rate.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2016 at 10:56 AM

a few of the cantina's have toughed it out and not raised their prices, so come on guys and leave your windfall to the girls behind the bar!;)
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 1-16-2016 at 11:20 AM

Why should a Mexican business selling domestic products have to raise their prices because their currency is worth less compared to the USD? Unless they are importing product, their costs are the same as always. The exchange rate is just used as an excuse to raise prices, they are never lowered when the rate comes back down. Kinda like taxes!

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2016 at 05:56 PM

It's mostly about the falling price of crude. $30 a barrel is something from history. It's causing havoc in the markets. But, at the end of the day, with crude at $30 a barrel, why do Californians still pay almost $3 per gallon? Some profiteering going on.
bajasusan/a
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2016 at 06:39 PM

Since no one else has said it yet, can we just acknowledge that this is TERRIBLE NEWS for most Mexicans, especially those near the border who often are forced to pay rent in dollars they must buy? Either you live here, and these are your neighbors, or you are a guest here and taking advantage of the Baja's remarkable land/seascapes and even more remarkable people. I hope everyone who is a "bajanomad" will try to help out by spending more locally (NOT at Costco, for example) and tipping way better (as someone already suggested). Let's put our best non-native feet forward on this one.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2016 at 07:05 PM

What am I missing here? Wouldn't buying at Costco in Baja still help pay employees salaries and keep a good business going in Baja to support the local economy?

I like Costco- I live near one, they have good employment practices, the workers I've gotten to know stay forever & like the company, it sells things I support...so- why not support them in Baja also?

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
bajasusan/a
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2016 at 07:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
What am I missing here? Wouldn't buying at Costco in Baja still help pay employees salaries and keep a good business going in Baja to support the local economy?

I like Costco- I live near one, they have good employment practices, the workers I've gotten to know stay forever & like the company, it sells things I support...so- why not support them in Baja also?

WELL, even tho this should probably go in the "political" thread, i will simply say that many studies have shown that bigbox stores put many more people out of work than they employ, on both sides of the border.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2016 at 10:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajasusan/a  

WELL, even tho this should probably go in the "political" thread, i will simply say that many studies have shown that bigbox stores put many more people out of work than they employ, on both sides of the border.

This is economics, not politics: CostCo supplies many small businesses in the Baja region with basic supplies. I can't keep count of how many mom/pop pickup trucks I've seen driving on Hwy 1 with supplies for their own shops, far from CostCo: paper, bottled water, office equipment etc.

Bottled water in the rooms at Mision Cataviņa hotel: Kirkland. Toilet paper also.

So, IMO- they SUPPORT many small Baja businesses, and allow them to buy items low/sell them high and/or use them in other stores around the peninsula.

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 1-17-2016 at 01:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
Why should a Mexican business selling domestic products have to raise their prices because their currency is worth less compared to the USD? Unless they are importing product, their costs are the same as always. The exchange rate is just used as an excuse to raise prices, they are never lowered when the rate comes back down. Kinda like taxes!

Ugly Americana.

Or are you not? Eh? Just half-blind and plain cheap? I once listened to a lady in a Loreto boutique complaining that she shouldn't have to pay the marked price because the Looney was worth less than the U.S. dollar (marked prices) and should get a discount (no offense meant to my northern neighbors).

You should be ashamed of your comment, but somehow I feel that will be impossible. :fire:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 1-17-2016 at 04:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
a few of the cantina's have toughed it out and not raised their prices, so come on guys and leave your windfall to the girls behind the bar!;)

My thoughts exactly or even at the taco stand.
ncampion
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2016 at 08:18 AM

Sorry you disagree, but this is the way the world works. Life ain't fair.

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

Ugly Americana.

Or are you not? Eh? Just half-blind and plain cheap? I once listened to a lady in a Loreto boutique complaining that she shouldn't have to pay the marked price because the Looney was worth less than the U.S. dollar (marked prices) and should get a discount (no offense meant to my northern neighbors).

You should be ashamed of your comment, but somehow I feel that will be impossible. :fire:

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-17-2016 at 10:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

Ugly Americana.

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/USDCAD:CUR

...and the price for 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breast has gone up from $3CAD to $7CAD ($4.82 USD) in the past two weeks.

Bob Durrell
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2016 at 11:31 AM

I just get tired of hearing about my "obligation" to compensate for a dismal economy. I didn't cause it. Why is it my duty to fix it?

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2016 at 12:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

I just get tired of hearing about my "obligation" to compensate for a dismal economy. I didn't cause it. Why is it my duty to fix it?

don't fret....no one said it was your duty :rolleyes:
ncampion
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2016 at 09:54 AM

A few years ago, my wife and I took a 6 week trip to Australia and at the time the USD was at $1.25 to one Australian dollar. Did I expect them to give me a discount? No, that's just the way it is. Did it make our trip more expensive than planned? Yes, but if you don't like the exchange rate, don't go there.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 1-18-2016 at 10:49 AM

Much ado about nothing....Cant change it, deal with it..Business as usual...

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2016 at 05:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajasusan/a  

This is economics, not politics: CostCo supplies many small businesses in the Baja region with basic supplies. I can't keep count of how many mom/pop pickup trucks I've seen driving on Hwy 1 with supplies for their own shops, far from CostCo: paper, bottled water, office equipment etc.

Bottled water in the rooms at Mision Cataviņa hotel: Kirkland. Toilet paper also.

So, IMO- they SUPPORT many small Baja businesses, and allow them to buy items low/sell them high and/or use them in other stores around the peninsula.

Is it Costco who does that, or entrepreneurs who buy their stuff, and take on the task of driving the peninsula to sell/ distribute the stuff. I've seen Costco brand stuff all the way down to San Ignacio. Just didn't think for a moment that it was Costco delivering it.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.