BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Photos of Semana Santa at Bahia Concepcion??
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2016 at 12:17 PM
Photos of Semana Santa at Bahia Concepcion??

I've always enjoyed Pompano's photos of the Easter crowds at the beaches along Bahia Concepcion. Since he isn't posting much I'm hoping someone else can do a bit of photo journalism and post some pictures of the holiday madness.

The number of people is incredible. Pure chaos.

I stayed at Santispac one Easter week a few years ago. Never again. After the majority left the week after Easter Sunday I took my boat out to Coyote Island and brought back literally a boat load of plastic bottles and styrofoam plates/cups that people with boats or people on the rental pangas had just left all over the beach. What a mess.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2016 at 12:57 PM

Although I am a native Mexican, I am living American standards. According to that I have to agree by 100% to your post. The Mexicans are just not aware that this earth does not belong to those, who are currently living on it. Those who know about `Semana Santa´ in Baja and Mexico overall, stay away from any spot where more than 3 Mexicans come together > Three is a crowd! The word "Environmental protection' does not exist in Mexico. I am sorry to say that as a Mexican, really sorry.
villafontana
Nomad

Mood: Urgency to travel all the time in Baja!

[*] posted on 3-20-2016 at 01:27 PM

Concuerdo contigo JC43. Soy Tijuanense, pero desgraciadamente tienes razon.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2016 at 02:56 PM

People are pretty much the same everywhere. i can remember when throwing trash out of a car window was all too common in the states. My parents took a dim view of it but I saw a lot of it.

It takes time for attitudes to change. There was a time when you could tell when you were approaching Guerro Negro on the highway from the tattered white plastic bags on the vegetation. I think things are better now.

There has been a couple bagging up the roadside trash along the highway in the first mile or so South of Mulege this last week.

I followed a large group of local cowboys out to a birthday party at a rancho last week and teased them by saying that I tracked them by the beer cans. They laughed but listened.

It will happen but not overnight.
villafontana
Nomad

Mood: Urgency to travel all the time in Baja!

[*] posted on 3-20-2016 at 03:03 PM

I concur with u also Gulliver!
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-20-2016 at 03:07 PM
People are not alike EVERYWHERE

This is a photo of what a beach in China looks like every weekend in their summer and when they all leave they take EVERTHING (including dirty diapers) with them and leave it spotless. If they didn't do this the Communist bosses would close the beach so that they wouldn't get embrassed in the media.

Bob Durrell
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2016 at 08:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
This is a photo of what a beach in China looks like every weekend in their summer and when they all leave they take EVERTHING (including dirty diapers)

Because they can't afford leaving any of their possessions behind, recycling diapers into something usable :). It's hard for us to imagine what it feels like - living with no disposable income.

But, why traveling that far - here is a (normally) deserted beach in Bahia Kino:

Video
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2016 at 08:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by villafontana  
Concuerdo contigo JC43. Soy Tijuanense, pero desgraciadamente tienes razon.

Gracias Villafontana! Por desgracia, no todos los Mexicanos estan de acuerdo con nosotros.
alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2016 at 09:46 PM

Estoy de acuerdo con ustedes, pero los que vienen a Bahia Concepcion, en Semana Santa generalmente son pochos. Que se creen mejor que los que vivimos aqui.
Soy Americano.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2016 at 11:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
This is a photo of what a beach in China looks like every weekend in their summer and when they all leave they take EVERTHING (including dirty diapers) with them and leave it spotless. If they didn't do this the Communist bosses would close the beach so that they wouldn't get embrassed in the media.

...it's really too bad they don't take such care in vancouver,
I'm generalizing, but it's often the case that asians simply walk away from their picnic trash :wow:

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 06:44 AM

What I have done in the past (and it's not easy for me) is to politely confront individuals over this.

I was traveling by sailboat in Baja in the early nineties and stopped in La Paz regularly. I would very often see mothers along the malecon change a diaper, fold the dirty one and drop it right at her own feet. I would regularly walk over, pick up the diaper, shake my head at her and drop the diaper in the trash can a few feet away.

I got some frowns and some smiles. I hate confrontations and drawing attention to myself but it is really the only way to change attitudes and perceptions. I could not calculate any statistics but I do believe that things on that beach got better.

It's called community. If you don't have it, life is a mess as it is all too often in cities where no one knows anyone.

There is an intermittent problem in here in Mulege of loose dogs getting into garbage and pooping everywhere and killing chickens and whatever. The gringo community is very supportive of a spay and neuter program but there is somewhat less awareness among the Mexican people. Recently there was a rash of poisonings. Not a good solution, cruel and so indicative of a lack of community. But the number of loose dogs dropped dramatically.

It's hard to bring myself to approach strangers over unacceptable behavior. I want them to change but am unwilling to engage them. But if I don't, then where is community?

There is a reason that I Winter in Mulege and Summer in the San Juan islands. These places are small enough that can have some hope of knowing my neighbors. Now if I can just persuade Carlinga to deal with his dogs barking all night!!!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 07:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
What I have done in the past (and it's not easy for me) is to politely confront individuals over this.

I was traveling by sailboat in Baja in the early nineties and stopped in La Paz regularly. I would very often see mothers along the malecon change a diaper, fold the dirty one and drop it right at her own feet. I would regularly walk over, pick up the diaper, shake my head at her and drop the diaper in the trash can a few feet away.

I got some frowns and some smiles. I hate confrontations and drawing attention to myself but it is really the only way to change attitudes and perceptions. I could not calculate any statistics but I do believe that things on that beach got better.

It's called community. If you don't have it, life is a mess as it is all too often in cities where no one knows anyone.

I agree and do the same myself. When I brought back the boatload of garbage from the small Coyote Island beach a few days after Easter Sunday, I let my all too few Mexican friends in Mulege know what I did and then described the large volume of trash I dealt with. It may have been considered presumptuous of me by some and I wondered if making an issue of it was inappropriate.

Mexico can be a challenging place for those who are even in a very basic way aesthetically minded. Sure, we all appreciate the natural beauty of Baja, but the areas thick with people can be very hard on the eyes.

[Edited on 3-21-2016 by SFandH]
bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 07:45 AM

modern day homo sapiens: a cancerous virus on the planet.

stay tuned
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 11:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by micah202  

...it's really too bad they don't take such care in vancouver,
I'm generalizing, but it's often the case that asians simply walk away from their picnic trash :wow:

Yep. 1st generation Asian immigrants usually do. Durellrobert is making wrong conclusions from right observations. Living in this city where majority of population is what's called "visual minorities" - mostly Chinese - I think I know them a little. You can't "embarrass" them with anything, dignity and self-respect have no value in their eyes. This is the very foundation of their culture - you are a grain of sand, a tiny link of the machine, you have no value as an individual. Chinese govt doesn't care much about their "image" before the rest of the world either.

But I agree - about that photo - that living garbage behind would result in serious consequences, like heavy fines and possibly labor camp. Govt is watching.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 01:11 PM

Beach in my home town The Hague, Holland

SCHEVENINGEN.jpg - 46kB

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 01:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Yep. 1st generation Asian immigrants ....- mostly Chinese - I think I know them a little. You can't "embarrass" them with anything, dignity and self-respect have no value in their eyes. This is the very foundation of their culture - you are a grain of sand, a tiny link of the machine, you have no value as an individual. ....

Alm,
Your comments represent how "little you know them".....Chinese culture has centuries behind it and you might want to read a bit more about it than than what you hear at a Kerrisdale Starbucks.

Your comments represent your lack of dignity and self-respect....:rolleyes:

[Edited on 3-21-2016 by motoged]

[Edited on 3-21-2016 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 01:45 PM

In viewing the two photos from The Hague and China, look how Western Europeans respect personal space, compared to the Eastern way of co-habitating. Of course, there are many more people in land area in the Chinese photo, so that accounts for some of it.

You can also see the effects of private ownership vs. communal ownership in the placing of the beachside loungers from the businesses along the sand in The Hague.

The world is an interesting place.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2016 at 08:25 AM

Well...... it is not the space itself which keeps me from visiting crowded beaches at times like `Semana Santa´. I was watching people "taking a bath" on many beaches. In Mexico. in the States. In Europe. This is what I realized. Many folks go for a swim and than out of a sudden they stay completely motionless! Guess what???? O.K., thinking about having a drink on the beach. The drink pressures you at some times. So, can you pie when swimming?
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2016 at 04:15 PM

Come on, somebody reading this must be at Santispac/Burro/Coyote now. Snap some photos of the mayhem. :)
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-22-2016 at 04:21 PM

I have a half-dozen or so from just a few years' back, will post later and soon. Was just thinking, a full page and not one OP's request. Gotta do the 'photobucket-gig'........ pictures forthcoming.

Principle of the whole thing is, IT'S STILL BAJA SUR, MEXICO. IT'S THEIR (not my) COUNTRY. They can do whatever they want, when they want, as they want. As to the trash, they don't have landfills and collection services as we in El Norte consider appropriate. If you don't like it, or are offended, please..... stay the hell home.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.