BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Pass it On.................(a long story)
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 08:20 AM
Pass it On.................(a long story)

Well I hate to be a downer, but, I am hoping this story may touch one Nomad and make a difference.

I am 58 almost 59. I have a brother who is 4 years older than me.

We live a few hours apart and don't really see each other often.

Last Thanksgiving we had dinner at our home and my brother happened to mention to me, "they found blood in my stool."

This was shocking to me because my brother does not do docotors, if you know what I mean.

I asked him what the doctor said about it. He responded "I have to get a colonoscopy"

It really troubled me because I had had blood in my stool before, but it was normally associated with hemorrhoids. His was hidden oe occult blood.

Christmas comes and goes and I heard nothing more from my Brother.

I got a call in about February that they had done the colonoscopy and found several Polyps and another growth.

Two more weeks go by and it is now the end of February from my sister in law and she dropped the bomb that he has colon cancer and was going in for scans and surgery within the week.

My heart fell and I did not know how to feel or deal with the issue. I called him and tried to reassure him that it was found and he needed to keep a positive focus.

That day I setup an appointment for my first colonoscopy. I got an appointment on March 10 to meet with the doctor. This is simply a meeting to discuss history etc. When I told him my age and what I found out about my brother, my doctor looked out over the top of his glasses and I waited to get the lecture. He paused and said, "it is better late to the dance......"

They set an appointment for 3/25/16. I was nervous as a hell up to the time of the procedure.

I arrived at 8:45 and the usual wait took place. They finally called my name and I was going behind the door into a small hospital style area.

The nurses were very pleasant and did there best to calm the patients.

Once undressed, I was in a surgical gown and placed on a hospital rolling bed. They took my vitals and installed a IV drip line on my hand and after a short time they rolled me into an exam room.

Once in the room the Anesthesiologist introduced himself and explained he was giving me the same medication that Michael Jackson used to go to sleep, great, that made me feel better. They went on to say that the procedure is only about 10 minutes.

He began to position me on my left shoulder and then began to inject the fluid and before I could tell what was going on I was out in seconds.

The next thing I remember I was laying on my side and I was in recovery, but thought I was waking up at home. My wife was sitting by the bed side.

The first thing I asked. "is everything OK?"

She then told me the news that I had one polyp, but the doctor is concerned because it was nearly 20mm in size.

The doctor came back around and told me that it didn't look cancerous, but with my brother having colon cancer and the fact that it was larger than 10mm.

So now the waiting begins. It is Good Friday and they are telling me it could be a week before results are back.

FAST FORWARD

So many things went through my mind and so many Google searches on this topic, I was driving myself crazy.

Yesterday afternoon I decided I would call just to check. After making my way through the many layers of nurses I finally spoke with Jane. With my BP going through the roof I was expecting the worse or no news at all. Finally in what seemed like hours, she tells me, "everything came back good but we want you back in 3 years."

I couldn't believe it, finally this ordeal was behind me.

The first person I called was my brother to let him know that due to his issue, that he may have saved my life.

Now, I hope that this story will send you or someone you know that is in their 50's to get to the doctor and get looked at. I found out that my blood was not associated with my polyp and I had absolutely no issues, but when I think about having a 20mm, about the size of a golf ball, in me and feeling no issues, was a powerful thought.

Sorry for the wordy post.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 08:39 AM

The actual colonoscopy is a breeze, over before you know it. Drinking the prep liquid and fasting is the tough part in my opinion. I was cleared for a 10 year return
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 09:00 AM

Good for you CB and here is wishing the best for your brother.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 09:04 AM

....''but when I think about having a 20mm, about the size of a golf ball''

.....yer must be playing with pretty small golf balls,, there's 24mm in an inch :light:

...good to get-er-done,, I'm on the slate next week
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 09:04 AM

I was scoped out five years ago, and got the ten year pass.

The camera liked my colon, should I post the video here?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 10:18 AM

Good info and potentially live saving. Thks for the post. Best to you and your brother.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 11:13 AM

THANKS --- a very good reminder. EVERYONE should have a colonoscopy when they reach the age of 50 and sooner if there is a family history. Colon cancer is a silent killer.

It has come up before on this forum and a few argued that it is only necessary if there is a problem or a family history. WRONG. As you mentioned, by the time your brother had any symptoms, it was cancer. It is like pap smears, mammograms, prostate checks, etc. It is a great preventative procedure to catch a potential problem early so it can be treated.

Most people will get the 10 year pass, but like in your case, if they see something that needs to be watched, it will be watched.

As mentioned, the prep is the not fun part, not fun at all, but the actual procedure is nothing.

Thanks for the post --- it may save a life, and I hope that things go well for your brother!

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 11:21 AM

Glad you're doing well and I wish your brother a good outcome. I'm in my 70's and on the 5 year schedule since I have had "pre-cancerous" polyps removed. It is easy to put off colonoscopies and prostate exams but in reality these are procedures with only very minor discomfort and they just might save your life.
TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 12:04 PM

There is a genetic component to this, so if especially if you hear of a family member with a problem, get yourself checked out.

I did and they fixed the problem before it became a real problem. So did my brother, so did my father. I'll be back for an exam in the next year.

Thank you CB for raising the issue.

[Edited on 3-31-2016 by TedZark]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 12:55 PM

Get one starting at age 50. My father did not. It might have saved him later in life if he had been getting them regularly. Get your PSA done yearly.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 01:49 PM

I recently attended an aviation conference and ran into many old friends who I had flown with over the years. In talking to one of them who I knew was well acquainted with a good friend who I flew with a lot and had been meaning to get in touch with but somehow never managed to make the time. When I asked him how my old friend was doing, He informed me he was sad to say he had just attended his funeral the week before. Died from colon cancer at 59. I looked up his obituary and it ended with "don't forget to get your colonoscopy".
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 02:21 PM

I'll share a personal recommendation; if you can get it done at a civilian hospital, avoid the VA if possible. I've had half a dozen of 'em, two at the VA. The private hospitals don't skimp on the Propofol. The VA does to cut costs; last one I kept telling them "You're hurting me!" and they shrugged and said I had enough drugs, quit complaining. The other ones, I woke up and asked my better half, "Are they done yet?" (last one gave me a 5-year pass). I don't want to be awake through the procedure; I wouldn't be able to do much if I were anyway. Otherwise it's just a real pain in the ..... nevermind.

Above all: Git 'er done.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 02:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

Above all: Git 'er done.

ok, ok, ok it has been 10 years, I'm due for another.

"Approximately 4.5 percent of men and women will be diagnosed with colon and rectum cancer at some point during their lifetime"

http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/colorect.html

I remember feeling mighty fine the whole day after the last one. Don't know what they used to put me out but it lingered, in a pleasant way.
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 02:58 PM

DEFINITION OF 'PROCTOSCOPE':

It is a long, silvery tube with an a$$hole at both ends. :biggrin:

86 - 45*

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 03:12 PM

Old age is killing us all. So what. We won't be around to regret it.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 03:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Having watched someone go from colon cancer, I think I prefer to go from old age.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 03:29 PM

You may want to leave your cellphone on record during your procedure.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/anesthesiologist-trashe...
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 08:14 PM

hope your bro does OK

thanks for the reminder!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 09:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Having watched someone go from colon cancer, I think I prefer to go from old age.

In our day and age, we do have a lot more choices than just 'do or die' ..... I monitor my type II diabetes more than other intrinsic illnesses. I don't want to be 'carved on'. Had relatives go from many different causes; now we have insight as to 'choices'. Yeah, none of us are gettin' outa here alive... but with each passing breakthrough gives us more options. Do nothing, is exactly what you will reap.

"The old dog you cannot teach a new trick to, chances are, you never could". .... anon.

86 - 45*

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2016 at 04:46 PM

It appears my brother was lucky or fortunate.

They took a portion of his Sigmoid(SP) colon and got it all according to his pathology report. No Chemo and a pet scan every 6 months and a colonoscopy every year for 5 years..:biggrin:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.