Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sentri Questions?
DosMars
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2016 at 07:37 AM
Sentri Questions?

Just received fresh passports and passport cards for the family. What do I have to do now to use the fast lane when we come back from our trip south in a month? Do I have to sign us up online?

How does it work coming back across the border? If I'm coming back through Mexicali, is there a special line I go through, or do I wait in the main line and filter over to one side?

After 30 years of heading south the wait at the border has become a part of the trip. I used to use it as an opportunity to find the best deal on the tackiest tchotchke for that one friend at work that always wanted to go but was never able to make it happen. She eventually got a reputation as the girl with the collection of 2 foot tall Looney-Tunes characters surrounding her desk. She hated them but was too sweet to say no or throw them out.
Eventually she'd had enough though. I came in one day for something and noticed Tweetie was gone.
"Where's Tweetie Bird?"
"Oh, I accidently nocked it over on the way around my desk. He broke and I had to throw him out."

Eventually I couldn't keep up with her clumsiness...

-Mark...
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2016 at 07:41 AM

Unless you applied for the Sentri Trusted Traveler program you cannot use Sentri.

Guessing you have the new passport card which allows you to go in the Ready Lane. Do they have a Ready Lane at Mexicali? I don't remember.

More will chime in.

DosMars
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2016 at 07:45 AM

Do you apply for the Trusted Traveler program online?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-20-2016 at 07:51 AM

Yes.

LaPlayaENC

[*] posted on 5-20-2016 at 08:36 AM

You can have SENTRI added to your GOES account. You will need to have your vehicle inspected but it's pretty easy. We just added a new van to our SENTRI pass and we got sent to secondary after using the SENTRI lane which was 8 minutes of SENTRI and 15 min for secondary. The standard San Ysidro line that day was 4-5 hr wait
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2016 at 08:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DosMars  
Do you apply for the Trusted Traveler program online?

Why not use google?

All you need to know about SENTRI:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz...

[Edited on 5-20-2016 by SFandH]
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 5-20-2016 at 09:23 AM

This is the site where you can apply for SENTRI:

https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 5-20-2016 at 01:28 PM

And the GOES website confirms that inspections are no longer required:

"Vehicle Inspection No Longer Required

Posted on November 17, 2015

Effective November 17, 2015, a vehicle inspection at enrollment will no longer be required to register a vehicle for use in the SENTRI lanes. A Vehicle Enrollment application must still be submitted via your GOES account and the vehicle must be approved prior to use in the lanes. Applicants and members affected by this change will be receiving an email notification with additional details. If you have a pending vehicle application, please do not attempt to schedule a vehicle inspection after November 17, 2015."
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2016 at 01:58 PM
SENTRI application

About three weeks ago my wife and I applied on line for SENTRI - through the GOES website given by BajaGeoff. Upon completion and submittal of your application you'll be told to check back on occasion to see if you have been approved so far, and then to set up an interview at either San Ysidro or Calexico (in our case).

We are waiting to hear, and as I said it's been about three weeks.

Our assumption is that this process will take something like 5 or 6 weeks minimum. I don't know if there is an "exigent circumstances" procedure to speed things up, but I doubt it.

I'll post the details of our process when there is a change.

John M.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 5-20-2016 at 02:08 PM

To be clear, you need EITHER: (1) Global Entry or (2) SENTRI, for everyone in your vehicle to use the SENTRI lane. You also need to have the vehicle enrolled in the SENTRI program. You use the GOES website for all of this. There is an interview requirement for Global Entry and SENTRI for people. There is no longer a requirement to bring your vehicle in for inspection.
DosMars
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2016 at 02:19 PM

Thanks for all the great info everyone.
I google what I can, but I like to get information straight from people who have gone through it so as not to miss anything. I find that while google is great for most things, it's easy to miss a detail or find yourself on a web page lacking the most up to date info.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2016 at 02:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
There is no longer a requirement to bring your vehicle in for inspection.

this is true....but your vehicle will be inspected. as a new sentri holder be prepared to go to secondary, here the inspection will take place.
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2016 at 04:28 PM

Dos Mares,

We just got a Global Entry card for my wife, the process took two months from initial application online to card in hand ready to use. As mentioned above, apply online at the link provided by Baja Geoff, you will need separate applications for each member of your family. My recommendation would be to apply for Global Entry, it works the same as Sentri but only costs $100 and also includes air travel. (Sentri costs $150 and only include land and sea travel). Both the Global Entry and the Sentri cards are good for 5 years. IMHO, even if you only use them once per year it makes it worth it to not have to sit in line. We just came through San Ysidro Wednesday at 10:45 am and it took us exactly 10 minutes through Sentri, our friends who did not have Sentri hit the border at the same time as us took an hour and a half.

You currently have new passports as well as passport cards, that allows you to use the ready lane which they do not have at the Mexicali West border crossing.

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2016 at 06:31 PM

If no DUI's, back child support and past or present tax liens your golden and Uncle Sam will let you be a "trusted" traveler.

Life has taught me some folks go to Baja for reasons not always known or understood;)

BTW, Hey is the first step of B.S.

Es Todo Bueno
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 07:05 AM

To answer your original question. With a passport card go to the Mexicali east border and use the ready lane. It is clearly marked when you get there. It will be the left lane of three. ( not sentri). Which is the far left lane and divided.

As for vehicle inspections. I have signed up two new cars since the new rule came into effect and have crossed many times. I have not been sent to secondary nor have my vehicles been looked at. Guess it just depends on the crossing or the agent.

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 08:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
If no DUI's, back child support and past or present tax liens your golden and Uncle Sam will let you be a "trusted" traveler.

FWIW, I have a friend that was denied a SENTRI pass a few years ago because of a 9 year old DUI. He was told they don't count after 10 years. He went back a year later and was granted a pass.

But, who knows what the rules are now, they seem to be arbitrary. What's magic about 10 years when it comes to a DUI?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.