Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Origins of "California"
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-17-2016 at 10:18 AM
Origins of "California"

A recent poster suggested California started in Baja in the 1600's....

I wasn't convinced of that , and being aware of the myth of black Amazons ruling such a place, I followed up with a short but interesting read that certainly fills in some blanks...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology_of_California

Don't believe everything you think....
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2016 at 10:20 AM

hmmmm....can't seem to get it on my box?
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6-17-2016 at 10:22 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology_of_California
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2016 at 10:34 AM

That's interesting, one of the theories is "California" is derived from the 'caliph' (the religious leader who rules in place of Mohammed) which 'caliphate', a form of government, is derived from (ISIS is currently trying to reestablish the caliphate that was in place hundreds of years ago in the Middle East's golden age). Seeing as though Islamic presence had a huge influence in Spain it makes sense.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-17-2016 at 10:36 AM

actually it's a truncation of a term used in Colorado in the 60's "Don't Californicate Colorado"....But they did...

sargentodiaz
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2016 at 10:39 AM

I'm surprised that DavidK hasn't chimed in as he's the absolute expert here on the Californias.

Father Serra\'s Legacy @ http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com a History of California and the Franciscan missions.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2016 at 11:10 AM

Mexitron,
Yes, that lesson in language/history also caught my eye....the article teases out some more areas of possible research...for geography as well as the histories...

Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  
That's interesting, one of the theories is "California" is derived from the 'caliph' (the religious leader who rules in place of Mohammed) which 'caliphate', a form of government, is derived from (ISIS is currently trying to reestablish the caliphate that was in place hundreds of years ago in the Middle East's golden age). Seeing as though Islamic presence had a huge influence in Spain it makes sense.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-17-2016 at 11:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sargentodiaz  
I'm surprised that DavidK hasn't chimed in as he's the absolute expert here on the Californias.

Well, this thread began just 2 hours ago, and I was busy writing a new article... then I have a sprinkler leak to repair in Carlsbad (what a beautiful day today is).

In my new book, on Page 3-5, I describe the discovery and naming of California by the Spanish...
Here is Page 3

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2016 at 11:33 AM

It is always entertaining to see how Europeans "discovered" lands that had been inhabited for eons....

David, please provide a map for where I can visit those Calafia Amazons my next trip down....I like a woman who has lots of gold and a fierce grip :coolup::biggrin:

For the rest of you....I promise a trip report with pics once David sends me the map.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2016 at 11:39 AM

You one weird Dude, Motog...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2016 at 11:45 AM

LOL

I think 4x4abc knows where the Amazons live and that's what keeps him living happily in La Paz!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2016 at 11:47 AM

I thought they all lived in Minnesota and were named "Helga"...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2016 at 11:51 AM

Californians not real welcoming in 1530s:

grizzlyfsh95
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2016 at 11:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
It is always entertaining to see how Europeans "discovered" lands that had been inhabited for eons....

David, please provide a map for where I can visit those Calafia Amazons my next trip down....I like a woman who has lots of gold and a fierce grip :coolup::biggrin:

For the rest of you....I promise a trip report with pics once David sends me the map.

It never fails that this Big Richard shows up to taint the water.

The harder I work, the luckier I get
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2016 at 12:10 PM

HE is the OP....Show some respect....Fo da Kahuna...

Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2016 at 09:19 PM

Speaking of names, a Baja California Sur native and noted writer once lamented that his half of the peninsula has had its name stolen twice. First, as David noted, it was the original holder of the name "California" until the US state of California took sole custody of that name and relegated the peninsula to Baja California. And later, when the northern half of the peninsula became the State of Baja California in the 1950s, the southern peninsula was left with having to add the "Sur" to distinguish it from its northern peninsular neighbor. I've always wondered how it is that the northern state was allowed to take ownership of Baja California since now one must distinguish on if one is talking about the entire peninsula or just the northern state. "Baja California Norte" seems like a natural solution, and yet hasn't been used.

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2016 at 07:36 AM

Thank you for starting this interesting discussion which prompted me to consult the Google for more insight.

Origins of California
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calafia

Excerpt:

Calafia is a warrior queen who ruled over a kingdom of Black women living on the mythical Island of California. The character of Queen Calafia was created by Spanish writer Garci Rodríguez de Montalvo who first introduced her in his popular novel entitled Las sergas de Esplandián (The Adventures of Esplandián), written around 1500.[1]

In the novel, Calafia is a pagan who is convinced to raise an army of women warriors and sail away from California with a large flock of trained griffins so that she can join a Muslim battle against Christians who are defending Constantinople. In the siege, the griffins harm enemy and friendly forces, so they are withdrawn. Calafia and her ally Radiaro fight in single combat against the Christian leaders, a king and his son the knight Esplandián. Calafia is bested and taken prisoner, and she converts to Christianity. She marries a cousin of Esplandián and returns with her army to California for further adventures.[2]

The name of Calafia was likely formed from the Arabic word khalifa (religious state leader) which is known as caliph in English and califa in Spanish. Similarly, the name of Calafia's monarchy, California, likely originated from the same root, fabricated by the author to remind the 16th-century Spanish reader of the reconquista, a centuries-long fight between Christians and Muslims which had recently concluded in Spain. The character of Calafia is used by Rodríguez de Montalvo to portray the superiority of chivalry in which the attractive virgin queen is conquered, converted to Christian beliefs and married off. The book was very popular for many decades—Hernán Cortés read it—and it was selected by author Miguel de Cervantes as the first of many popular and assumed harmful books to be burnt by characters in his famous novel Don Quixote.[2]

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2016 at 08:12 AM

See how fun history can be!:light:

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2016 at 09:37 AM

David, what is the history on the painting you posted (date, artist, etc.)?
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2016 at 11:41 AM

windgrrl,
Thanks for the excerpt....this is the story told to me by my sister who was a kayak guide in Baja for 10 years....and who introduced me to Baja in 1989 via a 10 day kayak trip to Isla Espiritu Santo...

The story / metaphor of marriage as a spiritual conquest is an interesting twist to margaritas and sand.

And the Christians and Muslims are still bashing away at declaring whose god is best....ya can't trump that fight.

Quote: Originally posted by windgrrl  
Thank you for starting this interesting discussion which prompted me to consult the Google for more insight.

Origins of California
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calafia

Excerpt:

Calafia is a warrior queen who ruled over a kingdom of Black women living on the mythical Island of California. ....

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.