Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Camping in El Rosario/Punta Baja Area
buddha

[*] posted on 6-29-2016 at 08:58 PM
Camping in El Rosario/Punta Baja Area

Looking for information about camping on the coast for a kayak fishing trip in August. Any free or low cost camping areas on the coast would be great. Also would a 4WD vehicle be required? How safe would it be for free camping on the coast in that area? Thanks in advance.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-29-2016 at 09:08 PM

La Bocana is the sand beach west of Rosario where people have camped. 4WD is advised. Punta Baja is the fishing village southwest of Rosario, 2WD ok. Can't think of any camping spots there. Further south, yes... but more cliffs than beach coast. 4WD would be wise off the graded road. I am sure more advice is forthcoming. I have photos and mileages available if that helps.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2016 at 07:36 AM

Plenty of empty beach camping just south of Punta Baja. The road out there is pristine and could be done in a Honda Civic. Once you get to the point head south a mile or two. Once off the main road I would recommend a truck, or even better, 4X4, but you really don't need it.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2016 at 08:11 AM

LA BOCANA BEACH:

EL ROSARIO to LA BOCANA (High Road)

0.0 mi. Turn Right off highway at the sharp bend in town.
Continue west passing by the road left to El Rosario de Abajo and Punta Baja.
0.8 mi. Fork, go right.
1.2 mi. Fork, go right... road heads uphill.
1.5 mi. Pass palapas and banana trees, climb hill.
2.2 mi. View point, see La Bocana beach.
2.6 mi. Go straight, left is a poor road.
2.9 mi. Fork, go left... Ahead is a locked gate.
3.0 mi. Fork, go left... Right is the entrance gate to Diamante Del Mar.
3.6 mi. Fork, go ahead/ left. Right is a poor road.
3.9 mi. Fork, go right, to the beach.
5.3 mi. La Bocana Beach
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EL ROSARIO to LA BOCANA (Valley Road, 4WD)

0.0 mi. Turn Right (west) off Highway 1 at the sharp curve in El Rosario.
In about 100 yards, turn left on road for El Rosario de Abajo and Punta Baja.
Cross over El Rosario river culvert pipe and soon turn right in the river valley, some water crossings before reaching the south bank of the river and entering the town of El Rosario de Abajo.
1.5 mi. El Rosario Museum, on left. Photos taken inside at http://vivabaja.com/505/page6.html
1.6 mi. Rosario de Abajo mission ruins, on right.
2.5 mi. Road left for Punta San Antonio and the coast south of Punta Baja.
2.9 mi. Road left for Punta Baja, continue ahead (west).
3.1 mi. Turn right for La Bocana, deep water crossing soon.
4.2 mi. Come to a fence, turn left to opening then continue west, Deep sand ahead.
5.1 mi. La Bocana Beach

===========================================================

PUNTA BAJA

Village at Punta Baja

Boat Launch at Punta Baja

Lighthouse at Punta Baja

0.0 Leave Hwy. 1 at the sharp 90° curve in El Rosario and head west for less than 500 feet to a left turn. Turn left and enter the river flood plain then take fork to the right following the river course with some (usually safe) water crossings.

1.0 (one mile) from Hwy. 1, you will reach the south bank of the river and enter the town of El Rosario de Abajo. Pass the school, museum, El Rosario's second mission site, some homes, etc.

2.5 (miles from Hwy. 1) a road turns left (south) and heads uphill. This is the route south for the coast beyond Punta Baja. It joins with the route we traveled via Punta Baja in 5.6 miles. We continued straight ahead (west)...

2.9 Turn left (south) for Punta Baja. Ahead is a 4WD road to La Bocana Beach (2.2 miles).
For road logs to La Bocana Beach see http://vivabaja.com/206/page4.html

8.7 Road right, to continue south along the coast: GPS is 29°58.39', 115°47.17' (NAD27).

9.9 Arrive at the fishing village of Punta Baja. A road once went south along the coast from here, but was washed out requiring the detour at Mile 8.7.

10.5 miles from Hwy. 1 the road ends at the lighthouse on Punta Baja.

The rest of the road log along the coast: http://vivabaja.com/1205/

[Edited on 6-30-2016 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2016 at 08:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by buddha  

How safe would it be for free camping on the coast in that area?

I wouldn't camp anyplace where you're alone. Find a spot where there are other campers.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2016 at 09:50 AM

Driving some distance where 4WD is required will take you beyond the place where "banditos" can get to. Of course, you have to believe in banditos first! We always camp alone or a few times with friends... but most of the time we camp where 4WD is needed to get to, some distance from any highway or major road. Bad roads bring good people... Good roads bring all kinds of people!

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2016 at 11:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Driving some distance where 4WD is required will take you beyond the place where "banditos" can get to. Of course, you have to believe in banditos first! We always camp alone or a few times with friends... but most of the time we camp where 4WD is needed to get to, some distance from any highway or major road. Bad roads bring good people... Good roads bring all kinds of people!

Boy what a mixed message that is. What are you saying? It's safe as long as you go someplace where most locals can't get to? Why is that?

Thievery is rampant in Mexico. It's something you always need to guard against.

[Edited on 6-30-2016 by SFandH]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2016 at 11:48 AM

lol.... if there were such a thing as a bandito.....they would never drive a 4WD......unless they just stole yours!
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 6-30-2016 at 12:23 PM

I knew the two men who had the unfortunate meeting with El Diablo about 10 years back. I recommend camping at a campsite. If you are going to camp solo, be extremely careful who you talk to about where you are and don't be flashy with anything.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-30-2016 at 12:29 PM

I sure dont recommend remote camping in the El Rosario area...it is a known drug running area...so if you do please be aware of your surroundings and be extra careful.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2016 at 12:45 PM

Just what I said, if you camp in a town or along a highway in anyplace other than a campground, don't. If you camp remotely than do so with others or alone at the end of a 4WD track. Everything you do has risk. If you want to camp anywhere there are risks, in any country. I feel safer camping in Baja, have for over 50 years with no problems.

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-30-2016 at 02:37 PM

I concur heavily with SF and Handsome and Shari.... El Rosario area is not conducive to beach touristas. If you can get there, so can people who will do harm. I primarily boondocked for 20 years and saw plenty examples of people camping solo and regretting it. This doesn't mean move into someone's hip pocket, but t'was moi, i'd be a lot more comfortable with company, especially in remote areas.

We all WISH for the Old Baja.

[Edited on 6-30-2016 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-30-2016 at 03:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Just what I said, if you camp in a town or along a highway in anyplace other than a campground, don't. If you camp remotely than do so with others or alone at the end of a 4WD track. Everything you do has risk. If you want to camp anywhere there are risks, in any country. I feel safer camping in Baja, have for over 50 years with no problems.

Camping is safe only in certain areas of Baja. I would classify the el Rosario area as a gray area, meaning maybe safe / maybe not safe.
Even a remote end of a 4wd track can see some sketchy characters. Tweakers are everywhere now, even the most remote ranches and smallest out of the way towns have drug addicts, etc. There are tweakers in fish camps, tweakers out on the small ranches.
Your simplified "bad roads, good peeps - good roads, all peeps" moral code ain't accurate anymore.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-30-2016 at 05:04 PM

"JUST STAY HOME" seems to be the mantra. just go! what are the odds your number will be called? as soon as you step outside your home you takes yer chances, eh?

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2016 at 05:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Camping is safe only in certain areas of Baja. I would classify the el Rosario area as a gray area, meaning maybe safe / maybe not safe.

My wife and I drove out to Punta Baja on a trip south, thinking we'd spend the night there in our truck camper. Nope, rough neighborhood, I turned around and continued on to Santa Inez at Catavina.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2016 at 05:40 PM

Or, don't unpack all your gear and have an excellent room for under $40 at Baja Cactus, or another place in El Rosario. Arrive, book a room, go fishing, surfing, fossil hunting, or exploring and have a relaxing shower and sleep. Two Spanish missions, museums, restaurants and taco stands are in El Rosario as well.

BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2016 at 07:43 PM

I personally would not camp in the area. I'd go for the day though for sure.

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-30-2016 at 07:51 PM

THIS---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnSAAVuEob8

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2016 at 11:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Your simplified "bad roads, good peeps - good roads, all peeps" moral code ain't accurate anymore.

They're accurate for a simpleton. :lol::lol::lol:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-1-2016 at 05:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
I knew the two men who had the unfortunate meeting with El Diablo about 10 years back. I recommend camping at a campsite. If you are going to camp solo, be extremely careful who you talk to about where you are and don't be flashy with anything.

If you're talking about the guys from Nevada, that was CONSIDERABLY longer ago than 10 years.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.