Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Verizon international plan
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2016 at 11:58 AM
Verizon international plan

I do not recall seeing this talked about on Nomad.

Recently we rented a home for a nice stay north of San Felipe. We were aware that our Verizon cell phone has never worked there.

A friend and off-road racer asked if we had heard of the Verizon travel plan. Nope. Never heard of it. He had just returned from the NORRA race and reported that his Verizon worked flawlessly in towns with some cell service.

Skeptical, we looked into it. Turns out that for $2.00 per day - and only the days you used the phone - you get free calls to the USA. I don't have a clue about text since I don't text very well, nor do I know about data.

When we crossed the border going south we soon got a message on the phone that our phone was recognized for the international plan.

Of course we had to try it from San Felipe - and so a couple of times we called family in the USA.

When we returned home we waited for the Verizon bill. Sure enough, only on the days we called were we charged the $2.00

Clean and simple, and I can vouch for our success in S.F.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/international-travel-...

John M
Bajazly
Super Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 7-1-2016 at 12:55 PM

I did this a couple of trips ago and it works great. The data is shared with the plan here so I can Pandora/email/app away as long as there is signal.

The thing I wondered about, is being here and sending a text to Mexico would the $2 a day kick in. Apparently by the amount I got text to me for my last bill, the $2 a day doesn't apply from here, only there.
mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2016 at 05:42 AM

If you are on this plan the $2 gets charged for a 24 hour period as soon as you use the phone, text or data. Basically, 99% of the time unless you are in airplane mode your going to get charged $2 a day.

It's actually not a bad deal for short term usage and you don't want to bother with a telcel sim card.

I still prefer the sim card method, better coverage and cheaper.

It really just depends on what you need.
mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2016 at 06:48 AM

If you are on this plan the $2 gets charged for a 24 hour period as soon as you use the phone, text or data. Basically, 99% of the time unless you are in airplane mode your going to get charged $2 a day.

It's actually not a bad deal for short term usage and you don't want to bother with a telcel sim card.

I still prefer the sim card method, better coverage and cheaper.

It really just depends on what you need.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2016 at 10:49 AM
Our charges

We were in Baja twelve days. We made five phone calls on five different days. Our charges were $10 -

Our telephone "day" (24 hour period I believe) started with our entry into Baja at 6:00 a.m. when we received a message from Verizon that our International plan had been activated.

We didn't use airplane mode. So in effect for us, having good phone service in San Felipe cost us ten bucks.

John M
mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2016 at 11:53 AM

Yes. As soon as some phone or data activity hits your phone the $2 24 hour clock starts.

If someone texts you, or if you check weather, email, of some little app that might access data (peso converter for example) the $2 24 hour clock starts.

As you stated, Verizon's text alerting you of their nifty feature started the clock. So nice of them. Lol. Turning on airplane mode right before you cross let's you start the clock when you want to; )
Borregoman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 10:22 AM

I heard a few year ago that Verizon pulled out of Baja. Checking their coverage map though does show phone and data in the SF area.

I have an unlimited data plan in a hotpsot, so if I can "share" this data while I am in SF for $2 a day, the beats me paying $55 for 4 gig on a Telcel card for 30 days.

I'm going to call a Verizon operator to make sure that would be the case.

Good post!
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 10:43 AM
for Borregoman

The fellow that put us on to this plan from Verizon had just returned from the NORRA race, and from LaPaz. His comment was that he had positive results from this plan in all the cities that had access to some cell provider. He was really happy with it.

John M
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Borregoman  
I heard a few year ago that Verizon pulled out of Baja. Checking their coverage map though does show phone and data in the SF area.

I have an unlimited data plan in a hotpsot, so if I can "share" this data while I am in SF for $2 a day, the beats me paying $55 for 4 gig on a Telcel card for 30 days.

I'm going to call a Verizon operator to make sure that would be the case.

Good post!

sounds to me like its time to dump your CDMA phone and get on the GSM horse....but if the NORRA fellow had good service everywhere????
this from a couple years ago.
http://sanfelipe.com.mx/2013/12/09/cell-phone-coverage-in-me...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.