Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: 1000 square feet
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-7-2016 at 01:36 PM
1000 square feet

Waterfront
1 br, maybe 2 but open floor plan like a studio. Will be master in later phase of larger house.
1 bath
Small kitchen
Lot of glass
30ft wide
10 ft x 30 raise deck/patio in front.
White exterior with terracotta trim.

Any architects in the crowd?

[Edited on 7-7-2016 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-7-2016 at 05:10 PM

don't build a box and don't use a flat roof
and no one really needs a BIG house...small is easier to clean

also get those roll up shutter that all the businesses have in San Quintín ...when you find the source tell us

octo.jpg - 88kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-7-2016 at 05:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
don't build a box and don't use a flat roof
and no one really needs a BIG house...small is easier to clean

also get those roll up shutter that all the businesses have in San Quintín ...when you find the source tell us

That's funny because I was thinking of your place. I want to build a small lighthouse or lookout on the roof too.
Yes smaller is better.
Baja house error no.1 " Dilusions of Grandeur ".
2 awesome but overly ambitious houses in my hood are empty and abandoned.
Start small add on later if necessary.
A neighbor did. He is still there.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2016 at 06:11 PM

lighthouse is probably not a good idea on the pacific...too windy up there...unless you glassed it in

then the price for the lighthouse is the same as a house...plus it has stairs...always a bad idea as you get OLDER

small is the best...

don't think your friends are coming...hahaha...unless they come with you now
reality...they are all afraid of crossing the border

our website is:
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 7-7-2016 at 06:13 PM

don't think your friends are coming...hahaha...unless they come with you now
reality...they are all afraid of crossing the border

I've found this to be true.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2016 at 08:11 PM

Not sure I'd do an octagon, the weird angles for construction will drive you nuts, or at least it would me. But all his other comments are good, one story and as small as you can get away with. I'd position the bath so it's accessible by two doors, one from the bedroom and one from the living room.
Bajazly
Super Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 7-8-2016 at 07:59 AM

Any rule of thumb cost to build something like this?

I'm thinking concrete block and it will be a few miles north of San Felipe.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2016 at 08:33 AM

Here's an old thread about building costs.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=46186
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2016 at 08:35 AM

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/7856765@N04/3284849927/in/album-72157600457913082/[/img]
My goal was 1,000sqft. Built above main floor at 1,100 sq ft in Punta Banda 2007. Front patio(15 x 30) with 3 glass sliding doors makes main living room feel larger. Used plan3d to design it.

Cheers Fishbuck.

[Edited on 7-8-2016 by bajadock]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2016 at 09:08 AM

Keep the sun off the windows and your casita will be a constant 10 degrees cooler than outside. It'll be appreciated with summer heat.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2016 at 09:18 AM

Don't know if you have ever lived on the oceanfront. If not be ready for anything metal to rust real quick. Best to spend the extra money and buy stainless steel door and other exposed hardware. Plus, make sure to build an adequate sized and very secure storage structure.
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 7-8-2016 at 10:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Big windows windward side, small windows leeward.... positive pressure ventilation.

Since it is going to be a master area, eventually, why not make it all wide open?

You can close off the bedroom later, if you like, but that would really make it like a nice, open and airy studio.
I love being able to sleep and/or see the ocean without a lot of walls, however, that is just me.
Unless you have real privacy concerns.

I would also design the roof with a mind for solar. Run the conduit now and oversize your main panel a bit more than you think you might need.... it is only a few more dollars.

Consider a few simple drains with pre-screens to harvest rainwater.
1" of rain on 1000' of roof is 600 gallons.
That'd damn near fill up a 2500 liter tinaco.

Consider passive solar for heating and cooling.
South facing windows getting sun all winter, shaded in the summer. It is very simple to do and makes a big difference in your comfort level.

Whatever you do, have fun with it.

Oh, I forgot, make yourself a nice outside shower, too..... easy and it's just awesome with that view.

[Edited on 7-8-2016 by soulpatch]

Right on the money...!!!

I would also be very concerned with and consider:

A) ORIENTATION for:

A.1- SOLAR:
  1. Active - harvest the power of the sun and
  2. Passive - avoid as much as possible the heat gain into the living spaces trough windows and wall surfaces

A.2- WIND:
  1. Ventilation (cooling tower)
  2. Avoid winter drafts
  3. Even food preservation

A.3- BUILDING:
    Aligning the mass of your construction to avoid overexposure to the sun during peak hours

B) If you're using Cinder Block make sure to fill the voids with MUD not dirt to increase the insulation capacity (capability) of the units.. or you could use a really insulated materials like "Panel-W" or "Tridipanel" for the walls

C) RECYCLE the Water: Separate black (toilet) wastewater and direct it to holding tank and direct and collect a ALL grey water to be used in garden or in a filtering pond (separate plumbing for each)

D) BUILD:
  1. a PORCH around the East and South sides to shade the building
  2. Avoid irregular shapes (octagon, circle): to much space lost (unused)
  3. Flat Roof made with styrofoam units or "Panel-W" or "Tridipanel" and have a covered roof patio on the deck and above all have more shaded area.
  4. Rectangular is not boxy when approached in a good design fashion and is the most funtional, not to say the other shapes are not: they're great in a hurricane area

And READ: http://www.naturalbuildingblog.com/the-barefoot-architect-jo... this book is a wealth of information that has been tested and is actually being used in many places, I used it in many college projects (1980's) with amazing results.

If you need more input please feel free to U2U, this is a very exciting project and I'll be glad to assist in any way I can... I do have some experience.

[Edited on 7-8-2016 by carlosg]

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-8-2016 at 10:27 AM

Excellent stuff thanks.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2016 at 02:09 PM

first NEVER buy metal doors...they heat up like an oven
and they dent!!! I have metal doors...horrible
fiberglass or wood or plastic...or better yet sliders

try to get ALL the windows with plastic frames...the salt get everything metal...

don't try to catch rain water...when it rains you don't need it and you certainly don't want to shower with that filthy stuff
it takes too much energy to filter it...

don't use foam block...it really insulates but it flexes and cracks the stucco and water gets behind it...the stucco falls off and mold can grow
NEVER use foam on the roof...BIG mistake...it does insulate but it'll crack and fall apart...the sun is brutal here

my advice...build with what the locals know...it'll out live you

do all batteries and inverters 12v if you need batteries...forget what "those experts" tell you...they don't live with it...there is lots of 12v batteries available when problems arise

no batteries or inverters in the house...batteries bubble and STINK!!!
inverters make fan noise and hum

if you size solar stuff right the first time no need to add extra lines for later...use big stranded cables to the roof to avoid electrical loss due to resistance from the summer sun

make sure the propane tank is in a separate room and access outside in case it explodes...they can leak

the bedoom doesn't need a lot of windows...people sleep in the bedroom...or play...bed should be in the middle

you think you'll lay in bed and enjoy the view...you wont...you'll get up and sit in the living room or kitchen have coffee and look out

budget for a mini-split ac or two...they are pretty quiet
...get a quiet generator...its really hard to quiet down an already noisy one...and...the neighbors HATE people with noisy generators

make sure the gas for the generator will last 16 hours at a time...
most last 8 hours
remember gas stinks and there is nothing like going to bed smelling
like gas

you'll need a heater...we like propane but they really make the house humid and the windows fog up and you can get mold

separate tank for black water is a great idea...no cement septic tanks...use plastic...really easy to install...3 chamber one piece...dig a hole and drop it in...add the leech lines
water plants with the grey water but you need a sump pump to do that

the kitchen water is greasy...its really hard to water with that...better to get a service to haul it away once and a while...don't add kitchen water to the septic...oil and sludge clogs the leech lines

store water in plastic tanks...not cement...cement tanks leak and animals can get in...you need a clorinator if you store water or you'll be showering in mold

remember plastic water tanks flex and crack...you need to replace them later...place them in a spot that they can easily be replaced
size them to be 1 1/2 truck loads of water
water is the same cost for half a tanker or full

size your solar for a small electric fridg...they really don't use that much power
propane fridgs are hot and don't work well in the summer

no on demand hot water heater...use a SMALL one...it forces conservation of water...hot water runs out...shower is OFF
small heaters heat in about 10 minutes...nothing...no down time

a rectangle house is ALWAYS boxy...if you male isan "L" that's just two boxes...and...box houses here all seem to look alike
you don't want a flat roof for sure...they all crack and leak...

you need to seal it every year or two...no one wants a leak in the house when its pouring and that's when you find out it leaks...it doesn't leak when its NOT raining

you think you'll be sitting on top of the house but you wont...
too many other things to do

octagon...it's different...people notice it...one day you'll need to sell
and you need people to notice your house for sale

its actually stronger too than a box house...more castillos

we've been thru several hurricanes and only lost a few tiles
the wind seems to flow around the house...we just got lucky with that

one day these hurricanes will get us too

windows suck...but you need them...gas filled windows wont last...the first thing that goes is the gas...then they fog...you are in mexico so it's almost impossible to get the guarantee...but possible

never get the blinds inside the windows...sounds good...they suck too

ok i'll get off my soapbox...good luck when you finally pull the trigger

our website is:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-8-2016 at 05:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Keep the sun off the windows and your casita will be a constant 10 degrees cooler than outside. It'll be appreciated with summer heat.

Summer heat on the water in San Quintin?

I've never experienced that. San Quintin is like San Francisco. I doubt I've ever been in 80 degrees at water's edge in San Quintin.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2016 at 06:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Summer heat on the water in San Quintin?

I've never experienced that. San Quintin is like San Francisco. I doubt I've ever been in 80 degrees at water's edge in San Quintin.

the coldest winter I ever spent was the summer I spent in san quintin! :yes:
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-8-2016 at 06:42 PM

I think San Quintin is more of a cool weather issue than hot. It can be warm in summer but like Ensenada. The pacific is pretty cold.
It's very close to San Diego weather. You know perfect weather.
Firewood is important in winter so maybe a tad warmer and tad cooler than Diego.
Typical pacific. As soon as you are out of the bay it starts to get cold but as soon as you get to old mill it hot again.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-8-2016 at 07:34 PM

first NEVER buy metal
try to get ALL the windows with plastic frames...the salt get everything metal...

don't try to catch rain water...when it rains you don't need it and you certainly don't want to shower with that filthy stuff
it takes too much energy to filter it

the bedoom doesn't need a lot of windows...people sleep in the bedroom...or play...bed should be in the middle

you think you'll lay in bed and enjoy the view...you wont...you'll get up and sit in the living room or kitchen have coffee and look out

Re Windows, wood is nicer, cost more, but better than plastic or metal.

Re roof water, it's usually best for irrigating garden.

I disagree on no need for view from bedroom. Best star gazing is moonless night and a floor to ceiling wall of glass in bedroom.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-8-2016 at 07:40 PM

Very insightful thankyou.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 02:02 AM

I think I'm going to need to be able to see the water from my bed. I'm fairly lazy and am prone reclining whenever possible.
The fish house will be on the left forward corner.
Facing water being front. The bay entrence is to the right. And you can see by the shadows where the sun will fall. I guess about noon when shot.
Wind is out of the west. Prevailing wind from back left corner. Defenately will need wind block in the design.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.