Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: "Road" condition MUlege / San Juanico
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2016 at 08:19 PM
"Road" condition MUlege / San Juanico

We are currently on our way back from the North East and are intending to stop at Mulege. (still a long way ahead) Next day heading towards San Juanico.
Q.: The dirt road Mulege./.San Juanico, can that "road" be used w/ a big Motorhome? I mean a really big one. Or is it a better idea to drive all the way towards Loreto / CD Insurgentes / Comondu etc. and then Up north?
Washboard is not a problem. We have air suspension and can make it VERY soft. The q. targets the condition talking about possible flats or such.
And where is the starting point to that road? Ice house road?

MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2016 at 09:08 PM

No way a big motorhome should ever attempt that route. Its tough enough on a dirt bike. I winter there and am done taking good SUV that way, beats the crap out of it.

Take the long paved way around, have a good time there!
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 06:00 AM

You are kidding, right? Obviously you have not travelled it . Slow as you go. Tio
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 07:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
You are kidding, right? Obviously you have not travelled it . Slow as you go. Tio

Your last sentence seems to imply that he might make it if he goes slow enough. Is that what you are recommending? I kinda doubt it.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 07:08 AM

I drove it once in a 1/2 ton Chevy pickup. Once was enough. I came back using the long, paved route.
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 07:20 AM

No I am not kidding. we're talking the route west out the ice house road, not the road south to La Purisima.

I have travelled that route 3 times this year, many times over the last 12 years since the 4 or 5 major hurricanes, as well as the surrounding passes that are now impassible due to hurricane damage. There are multiple tight spots and vados that will ground out a long wheelbase/long overhang chassis, multiple twisty sand washes through the bushes that will not support high pressure tires.

Have you driven a class A motor home through there since the last hurricane? Didn't think so.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 07:36 AM

16 water crossings, hair pin turns, extremely narrow in places, miles of rocky riverbeds, low branches, steep climbs, no pull outs, deep silt. Give it a go jc.

Going in 2 weeks and will give a trip report.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 07:45 AM

He shouldn't have any problems....Go for it JC

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 08:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MulegeAL  
No I am not kidding. we're talking the route west out the ice house road, not the road south to La Purisima.

I have travelled that route 3 times this year, many times over the last 12 years since the 4 or 5 major hurricanes, as well as the surrounding passes that are now impassible due to hurricane damage. There are multiple tight spots and vados that will ground out a long wheelbase/long overhang chassis, multiple twisty sand washes through the bushes that will not support high pressure tires.

Have you driven a class A motor home through there since the last hurricane? Didn't think so.

AL, I don't think TioTomas was referring to your post, but to the OP's post.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 08:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  

I have to admit: No, I never travelled it. My Q. where it starts tells the truth! O.K. thx for all advice. We will go the long route though.
Chucky: as always your advice is too tricky to believe in. Not very smart.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 09:16 AM

FYI there are two routes from Mulege out the ice house road to San Juanico. At Rancho Las Cuevitas, about 10 miles out, you turn right for the San Raymundo road. This one has several washes to cross and as was said not good for a large RV. It comes out north of San Juanico at La Ballena or Cadeje depending on which split you take as you get near them.

The second one is to go straight at the ranch toward La Trinidad. This route has several switchbacks that a large RV would not be able to make. It comes out at the town of San Isidro east of La purisima.

A third route south of Mulege on Hwy 1 at KM60 is a graded road to San Isidro. I would not recommend a large RV. There are a couple of turns that could be a problem.

Best to take Hwy 1 down to Insurgentes and go north on Hwy 53 and take the turn off to Las Barrancas and you will be on pavement to San Juanico.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 10:03 AM

Quote:

The second one is to go straight at the ranch toward La Trinidad. This route has several switchbacks that a large RV would not be able to make. It comes out at the town of San Isidro east of La purisima.

This is not passable now in any 4 wheel vehicle and barely doable on a moto. This is based on observation 2 months ago.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 10:13 AM

JC43 can make it....

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 11:57 AM

Your big RV will take enough of a beating traveling the paved roads in Baja. The route you were considering would absolutely destroy it, and you would probably be unable to recover it out there as no capable tow truck available would be able to help.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 12:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
We are currently on our way back from the North East and are intending to stop at Mulege. (still a long way ahead) Next day heading towards San Juanico.
Q.: The dirt road Mulege./.San Juanico, can that "road" be used w/ a big Motorhome? I mean a really big one. Or is it a better idea to drive all the way towards Loreto / CD Insurgentes / Comondu etc. and then Up north?
Washboard is not a problem. We have air suspension and can make it VERY soft. The q. targets the condition talking about possible flats or such.
And where is the starting point to that road? Ice house road?

Yes, if you got a unimog type rv, 4wd sprinter conversion, sportsmobile, etc.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 12:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  

Quote:

This is not passable now in any 4 wheel vehicle and barely doable on a moto. This is based on observation 2 months ago.

We did it in April, 5 4x4s. No problem. Here is my report.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83006

I've done it both ways in my Tacoma.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 12:55 PM

Ahhh, ok. Re checking my photo dates, I guess it was 6 months or longer when we tried. The first steep climb was washed out. Glad it is doable again! It is beautiful out there.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 01:01 PM

See? JC43 wont have any trouble with his motorhome, hell, he has air suspension...AND, no body knows more about Mulege than ol JC...

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 03:26 PM

Willy if you and some of your Mulege off road friends are up to it I would like to take the ice house road out to the San Raymundo Jct. and head out to the Mission Guadalupe ruins. While out there check out the road to Rancho Las Tunas. I understand that only motorcycles and horses can get thru but i'd like to see what kind of damage is there and maybe get a feel for how far the bad road is. Get a GPS fix.

Maybe sometime in Sept. or Oct. this year.

Here is the Almanac for Guadalupe and Las Tunas.

From an older Almanac.

[Edited on 7-9-2016 by TMW]
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 03:58 PM

Sure, we are always up for a trip. Our group did a one day trip to Mission Guadalupe last January, but it was too late in the day to try the road past there.

And if anyone is interested in going on a trip July 30th, all are welcome. Mulege, San Juanico, San Nacho, Asuncion, Tortuga and back to San Ignachio, then highway back to Mulege.

and to stay on topic, this route can not be done in a big motorhome or even a small motorhome.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.