BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Secrets to Living Well in Northern Baja (1st in a Series)
GypsyJan
Nomad

Mood: "If a dog will not come to you after looking you in the face, examine your conscience." Woodrow W

[*] posted on 7-8-2016 at 09:53 PM
Secrets to Living Well in Northern Baja (1st in a Series)

Shopping at Wal-Mart

The candy aisle has an amazing amount of great chocolates - Lindt, Hersheys, Mars, Nestles and all the unfamiliar brands are worth trying.

In general, prices are competitive and lower than the same item in the U.S., but if an item is marked down, it is the same as what is sold across the border (labels in Spanish pasted over the English) and a good deal cheaper.
bajasusana
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 08:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by GypsyJan  
Shopping at Wal-Mart...

gotta say i was excited by the concept of sharing about what the good life can be here in our beloved Baja, so am disappointed to have it start with WalMart, where I would never shop in any country and which is part of the bad life gringos bring to the Baja in the experience of most Mexicans I know, especially those living close to the border.
people who are here because it is cheaper and better weather than up north, yet has relatively easy access across the border, have as much right to be here as I do, of course. as i have a right to speak up on behalf of those of us who live here BECAUSE it is a different culture/language and can be a place to heal from the insanity that increases daily, it seems, in the usa. but only if one allows onesself to be changed by the experience of living here and does not sttive to "muscle mexico" with gringo ways.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 08:45 AM

Wtf!?!?!

In USA Walmart subsists on government welfare. Walmart pays its employees such low hourly rates that many are on food stamps and other govt assistance.
Walmart is bad for communities, it sells cheap Chinese crap, using subsidized labor, causing small shops to go out of business.
Walmart is bad in so many ways!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 08:53 AM

Don't "assume" that your beliefs, opinions and values are shared by everyone. You have the "right" to speak for yourself, but who gave you the power or right to speak on behalf of others "who live here"??

I for one certainly did not give up my "right" to speak for myself or appoint you my spokesperson.

I vote with my wallet and shop where I can get the best deals and the products to suit my needs, be it Wal-Mart or the corner store.

Quote: Originally posted by bajasusana  
....."as i have a right to speak up on behalf of those of us who live here....."
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 09:13 AM

so the secret to living well is in the candy isle? here I thought it was in the liquor department! ;)
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 09:27 AM

Man, Bajasusana, goes right to the very core of stereotype. Mexicans want to wear sombreros, huaraches, and spend their few pesos at the corner grocery for a few beans and tortillas. I had some Mexican friends over for coffee this morning and read them the statement and they got to laughing so hard that one shot coffee on his computer screen. They like shopping at Wal-Mart in Rosarito and Tijuana. They feel that they get better quality, lower prices, convenience, and selection. Was-Mart is nothing but a method of getting goods and services to the consumer at a reasonable price and the success of this marketing system is visible to the whole world in terms of the number of customers that loyally shop there all the time. But the political left will constantly harangue them for paying low wages, selling things that we should not be buying, and stirring the "Politically Correct Pot" as much as possible. For years you have been crying for people to stay out of your bedrooms, OK, now stay the H..ll out of my store and leave me alone in my decisions to shop where I want. In the Free Enterprise system, a store that does not cater to the wants and needs of its customers will soon go out of business. If you do not want to shop there fine, but leave your condescending attitude out of my choices.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 09:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
so the secret to living well is in the candy isle? here I thought it was in the liquor department! ;)

I'm with you on this one.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 09:50 AM

I could be wrong on this one, but I thought that there already was a GypsyJan on Nomads.
This GypsyJan is a newbie.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 09:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
I could be wrong on this one, but I thought that there already was a GypsyJan on Nomads.
This GypsyJan is a newbie.

you're confusing GypsyJan with Gypsy Jan
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 11:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by GypsyJan  
Shopping at Wal-Mart

The candy aisle has an amazing amount of great chocolates - Lindt, Hersheys, Mars, Nestles and all the unfamiliar brands are worth trying.

Man, I'll respect your opinion if you respect mine.

If you think Mars, Hersheys, Nestles is great chocolate, you've never tasted really GREAT chocolate.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 12:13 PM

Very well stated Pescador. There must be a reason I can never find a parking spot at Walmart.

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  
Man, Bajasusana, goes right to the very core of stereotype. Mexicans want to wear sombreros, huaraches, and spend their few pesos at the corner grocery for a few beans and tortillas. I had some Mexican friends over for coffee this morning and read them the statement and they got to laughing so hard that one shot coffee on his computer screen. They like shopping at Wal-Mart in Rosarito and Tijuana. They feel that they get better quality, lower prices, convenience, and selection. Was-Mart is nothing but a method of getting goods and services to the consumer at a reasonable price and the success of this marketing system is visible to the whole world in terms of the number of customers that loyally shop there all the time. But the political left will constantly harangue them for paying low wages, selling things that we should not be buying, and stirring the "Politically Correct Pot" as much as possible. For years you have been crying for people to stay out of your bedrooms, OK, now stay the H..ll out of my store and leave me alone in my decisions to shop where I want. In the Free Enterprise system, a store that does not cater to the wants and needs of its customers will soon go out of business. If you do not want to shop there fine, but leave your condescending attitude out of my choices.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 12:24 PM

..., so am disappointed to have it start with WalMart, where I would never shop in any country and which is part of the bad life gringos bring to the Baja in the experience of most Mexicans I know, especially those living close to the border.

Don't know about Mexicans living close to the border, but have an idea about the Mexicans living around Cabo.

If you ever shop Walmart in Cabo, you wouldn't write this. The locals love it -- and so do I.

This stuff is much too PC for this forum.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
bajasusana
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 12:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Don't know about Mexicans living close to the border, but have an idea about the Mexicans living around Cabo.

If you ever shop Walmart in Cabo, you wouldn't write this. The locals love it -- and so do I.

This stuff is much too PC for this forum.

it has nothing to do with political correctness and everything to do with political consciousness. the fact that people on both sides of the border fail to make the connection between 10% of cabo residents making money off abusive businesses that ruin the local economy for 90% of families does not make it less of a fact. and more and more workingclass mexicans are realizing what a trojan horse the u.s. dollar is. and if one person can post on this forum "the good life in northern baja includes shopping at walmart" then others are free to present a different point of view...
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 12:44 PM

WalMart has been operating in Mexico for 25 years and has 2,366 stores. 194,000 employees. Relatively new to the outback (the Baja peninsula) but apparently well established in the rest of Mexico.

http://corporate.walmart.com/our-story/locations/mexico#/mex...

Construrama provides the true Mexican shopping experience for me.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 12:49 PM

10% of cabo residents making money off abusive businesses that ruin the local economy for 90% of families

Huh? What are you talking about?
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 12:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

10% of cabo residents making money off abusive businesses that ruin the local economy for 90% of families

Huh? What are you talking about?

Me thinks she usually shops at the Pink Unicorn shop around the corner for her Vegan supplies.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 01:01 PM

Think I'll spend a bunch of pesos at the Ensenada Wal-Mart today and then have lunch at a family taco stand....just to spread the wealth around and insure income equality

it has nothing to do with political correctness and everything to do with political consciousness. the fact that people on both sides of the border fail to make the connection between 10% of cabo residents making money off abusive businesses that ruin the local economy for 90% of families does not make it less of a fact. and more and more workingclass mexicans are realizing what a trojan horse the u.s. dollar is. and if one person can post on this forum "the good life in northern baja includes shopping at walmart" then others are free to present a different point of view...
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 01:11 PM

I suppose retirees are not paying much in taxes, so they don't mind buying at Walmart, and passing labor costs to the employed that do pay taxes.
Walmart employees double their Walmart paycheck by going on welfare to get food stamps, section 8 housing, subsidized health care, etc.
so, next time you get cheap goods at wallymart, think about who is subsidizing your purchase.
You skin flints claim to hate welfare, but your consumer behavior perpetuates the need for govt social services!

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Very well stated Pescador. There must be a reason I can never find a parking spot at Walmart.

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 01:28 PM

Wonder where Gypsy Jan is these days?

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
o3dave
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 01:29 PM

Great stuff. Cant wait for part 2.

Perhaps something in the sporting goods aisle?

I cant know
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.