Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: A Fight to the Death
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 02:52 PM
A Fight to the Death

This time, uncharacteristically, the bull won.

Gored to death on live TV:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/bullfighter-victor-barrio-...

I went to a bullfight at the TJ bullring by the sea once. I was grossed out by the first couple of fights but after several beers I sorta had a good time. Sorta. Lots of pretty women all dressed up in their fight-to-the-bloody-death best.

Six bulls were bled out, weakened, by the picadors riding decorated armoured horses and then slaughtered by the matadors in flowered vests and tights with what had to be artificially enhanced crotch bulges, all to the crowd's delight.

Got a kick out of the end of the fight, when, using horses, they drag the bleeding bull corpse out of the bullring, leaving a trail of blood behind. Quite entertaining.

olé

[Edited on 7-9-2016 by SFandH]
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 03:03 PM

I went to a bullfight in Madrid in 2000. A guy got gored in the neck peeking up over the wall at exactly the wrong time. I always assumed that the guy died, but perhaps he didn't. I'm not in favor of the activity.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 03:11 PM

Bull nuts are good...

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2016 at 03:14 PM

Do you eat them often?

[Edited on 7-9-2016 by SFandH]
bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2016 at 09:27 AM

excellent news
score a couple for the bulls!

http://fox8.com/2016/07/09/1-dead-from-bull-run-goring-in-al...
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-10-2016 at 11:56 AM

It's a blood sport, similar to Gladiators in old Roman times

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
oldjack
Nomad

Mood: retired

[*] posted on 7-10-2016 at 02:55 PM
Get out!

I was in Spain a few years ago, eating dinner at a country Inn that had the bull fights playing on a large tv. I cheered for the bull when he knocked the fighter on his culo... the crowd got upset with me... the owner came over to me and said I should leave for my own good... he walked me to my car... I remember that as a great free meal w/drinks...
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-10-2016 at 03:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  
It's a blood sport, similar to Gladiators in old Roman times

It's torturing a bull for entertainment. It's abominable.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2016 at 03:59 PM

Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-10-2016 at 05:23 PM

It's passive torture, which more and more AmeriKans are getting ready to vote for.

I was raised in Kowboi Country and rodeos; always rooted for the Brahmas. Big Bad K-boys yanking baby cows by the neck at 20 mph; "oh they weren't hurt, sweetheart!" I was told. Horse-hockey. If you want some fun travel to 4-corners area around the first week in September and watch the Navajo rodeos. The bull ALWAYS wins, and the barrel races are the best part of the whole sport, especially the female riders.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-10-2016 at 06:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBreak  
I went to one in South America years ago. A bit tough to watch, but definitely a memorable experience. They had brought in some of the best guys from Spain. Kind of a must see if you're interested in Latin American culture and traditions.

I had to talk some sense into one of the gringas I went with when she started freaking out about the bull suffering. It certainly seems barbaric by modern day standards, but if you can't respect that it is a long standing tradition, then do not go. Come to think of it, there were some students protesting outside when we left.

I've been wanting to try some rocky mountain oysters for some time now.

Respect it as tradition? Gtfooh!
This tradition should die along with female circumcision, racism, dog fighting, c-ck fighting, etc.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2016 at 06:57 PM

It certainly is cruel and inhumane by any modern standard. And to make a for profit public spectacle out of it is really weird.

Catalonia, a region in Spain has recently (2012) made it illegal.

The bullring in Playas de Tijuana has bullfights on some Sundays during the summer but I haven't seen any announcements for this year yet in the TJ newspapers, which I try to read online.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2016 at 07:41 PM

For what I know, in Portugal they have bull fights where the bull is not killed but lives to fight another time. I don't know if the animal is tortured by picadores like in Spain/ Mexico, but, if not, it would make it a fair fight with most westerners rooting for the four footer

Contradict me if I'm wrong

Air Evacuation go to
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-10-2016 at 10:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  
For what I know, in Portugal they have bull fights where the bull is not killed but lives to fight another time. I don't know if the animal is tortured by picadores like in Spain/ Mexico, but, if not, it would make it a fair fight with most westerners rooting for the four footer

Contradict me if I'm wrong

Portugal is a fair-dinkum bit away from Baja Mexico.

Apples and coconuts, methinks. The bloodsport is just that; Picadores bleed and torture the animal not only into rage, but loss of blood so the Big Bad Toreador (don't spit on the floor...) can deliver the final thrust..... once the beast has been well subdued. Some sport. Yeah, the meat is given to charities, whatever; but some think 'humane slaughterhouses' are not so humane... Viva El Toro! One in a row.

BULL'S LIVES MATTER !!!! (BLM)

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 04:07 AM

Bull nuts, and sheep as well are on many menus in the plains states. Human nuts, not so much, too small....

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 07:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Bull nuts, and sheep as well are on many menus in the plains states. Human nuts, not so much, too small....

Definitely not all human nuts are small :biggrin:

Air Evacuation go to
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 08:20 AM

Except for my intellectual friend, Chuckie, if anyone wanted to understand what bull fights are all about, you need to read James Michener "Mexico" .
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 09:01 AM

In the late 60's I was working in Rota, Spain...Through a shooting acquaintance I was often on a ranch where they raised and trained Bulls for the ring...Fascinating....Dint like the fights much...

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2016 at 12:48 PM

Years ago went to a bullfight in Mazatlan. No toreador but all participants were on horseback. There's a name for it. Horses were protected on side with some kind of heavy blankets. Bull didn't have a prayer. Cruel and inhumane in my world

Air Evacuation go to
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 7-12-2016 at 09:29 PM

My father would take my sisters and me to the TJ bullfights when we were in middle/high school. He also took us to some events in Baja where people could try their hand at using a cape on small bulls that were part of breeding programs. (He had family from the rancho culture, and respected the bulls- and was pretty good with the cape!)

Over time, one sister learned to love the corridos, and another stopped after the first trip. I went to a few- and often found myself rooting for the bull, despite knowing the odds were stacked against him. I saw a few injuries to toreadors and picadors but nothing fatal.

I also saw perhaps one or two bulls perform so well they were spared so they could become breeders- sounded like a nice retirement!

I no longer go, but I remain appreciative of the "fighting bull" legacy. So last year I began watching the Pamplona running of the bulls. Now THAT'S a sport where the massive, specially bred bulls have a fair shot at knocking people around.

Esquire TV broadcast the week of runs last year (alas, cannot find the show this year) and interviewed men who had been running competitively for years.

Their skills, training, team-work and assessments of the bulls and the course were fascinating- there actually is some history, appreciation and knowledge involved- and courage. (forget the alcohol fueled rookies- they are the ones most often injured, or causing injuries to others)

But best of all: the bulls all survive the run into the ring, and afterwards, will live to fight another day- perhaps with enough aggression, stamina and skill to earn that retirement. Olé!

[Edited on 7-13-2016 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.