Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja 1000 Route?
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 02:23 PM
Baja 1000 Route?

Starting to get excited for this year's 1000. Does anyone know approximately when a route/map will be available? Thanks in advance.

zac

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 02:40 PM

Figure a month out to see maps or GPS files. Visit Race-Dezert.com and there will be course speculation months out. It's a loop this year, from Ensenada to Ensenada.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 02:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Figure a month out to see maps or GPS files. Visit Race-Dezert.com and there will be course speculation months out. It's a loop this year, from Ensenada to Ensenada.

Thanks! I used your map last year to dial in a great spot near El Rosario. I'll keep a look out.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 02:47 PM

Zac, they turn and head back up at either Chapala or just north of BdeLA. Hint, hint!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 02:50 PM

The map will be at the Off Road Expo in Pomona Oct 1&2.

http://www.offroadexpo.com/
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 02:52 PM

For hormonal purposes, here's another peek at the 2015 Baja 1000 Course Map.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 03:46 PM

I'll be down watching the race with friends.........hopefully somewhere on the Pacific Coast!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 03:56 PM

Consider also that there are no parallel routes to the new highway between Matomi area and Chapala other than short sections of the older road where the new one is not over it. I guess running Calamajué Canyon is out, too... environmental issues are important now after that canyon was first used for the 1000 in 1973 and again in 1979 the second time, and often after that.

It would be great to open a road from the mine, way north of Rancho El Aguila (near San Agustin/El Marmol jcn.) over to the Matomi arroyo area north of Puertecitos. It would be a huge shortcut between the gulf and Pacific sides and give racers a loop route off the highway! On the following Almanac map, I added lines by pencil to show roads seen from space, but not on the map...

Blue arrows is existing, graded mine road. Red arrows is arroyo travel up from Hwy. 5. Baja Lou and other have gone as far as possible until boulders blocked the way short of reaching the mine road.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 06:09 PM

David, I was looking at that exact route on google earth. I was going to attempt it in my jeep but after reading this I might take my bike instead.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 06:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Zac, they turn and head back up at either Chapala or just north of BdeLA. Hint, hint!

Our plan is hopefully catch them on the Pacific headed south. Then head to our place to load up on tuna/jurel. You should clear the calendar!

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 06:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  

It's a loop this year again?

[Edit] I guess that is what the website says. I thought it was going to alternate, every other year a loop.

[Edited on 7-18-2016 by BigBearRider]

[Edited on 7-18-2016 by BigBearRider]
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 07:42 PM

Loop again because next year will be a big one. An anniversary run.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
7-17-2016 at 08:05 PM
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 08:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

maybe 2K!
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 07:29 AM

...doing a loop course would save a LOT of fuel between all the racers and support vehicles.
.....not so much if you live in Cabo though <;-/

[Edited on 7-18-2016 by micah202]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 08:02 AM

David, I was looking at that exact route on google earth. I was going to attempt it in my jeep but after reading this I might take my bike instead.

Some past discussions on that route:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=22907
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=44127

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 08:08 AM

["It would be great to open a road from the mine, way north of Rancho El Aguila (near San Agustin/El Marmol jcn.) over to the Matomi arroyo area north of Puertecitos. It would be a huge shortcut between the gulf and Pacific sides and give racers a loop route off the highway! On the following Almanac map, I added lines by pencil to show roads seen from space, but not on the map..."]

I tried going thru there starting at the north end a few years ago and ran into large rocks and deep sand, I didn't get vary far. I think Bajalou tried it in a sand rail and had the same issues.

I think they will run the 2015 course backwards with a few changes.

From what I've heard 2017 will be somewhat like the 2000 race. A long race to celebrate the 50th anniversary.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 08:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
["It would be great to open a road from the mine, way north of Rancho El Aguila (near San Agustin/El Marmol jcn.) over to the Matomi arroyo area north of Puertecitos. It would be a huge shortcut between the gulf and Pacific sides and give racers a loop route off the highway! On the following Almanac map, I added lines by pencil to show roads seen from space, but not on the map..."]

I tried going thru there starting at the north end a few years ago and ran into large rocks and deep sand, I didn't get vary far. I think Bajalou tried it in a sand rail and had the same issues.

I think they will run the 2015 course backwards with a few changes.

From what I've heard 2017 will be somewhat like the 2000 race. A long race to celebrate the 50th anniversary.

Yes, in the links I posted just above, we are talking with bajalou about it. We just need to borrow the dozer the mine used for a couple days!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 10:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

Our plan is hopefully catch them on the Pacific headed south. Then head to our place to load up on tuna/jurel. You should clear the calendar!

Only problem is they use the km252 road as race course. Thats our way in and out without having to traverse the dreaded silt beds to head south and out. When are the run dates?

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 08:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

Only problem is they use the km252 road as race course. Thats our way in and out without having to traverse the dreaded silt beds to head south and out. When are the run dates?

The weekend before Thanksgiving.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 08:35 PM

Not agood time for us. Maybe but prolly not.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.