BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: UPDATE: Goal reached/Thanks for supporting Julian's English immersion trip!
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 7-28-2016 at 11:55 AM
UPDATE: Goal reached/Thanks for supporting Julian's English immersion trip!

Thanks to Nomads who have made contributions to help reimburse me for Julian's airfare from San Diego to Sacramento. I just received 3 more donations from Nomads, to reimburse me for Julian's unexpected airfare to his homestay near Sacramento. These latest contributions have covered the full amount of his ticket ($282).

This is Julian, enjoying carnitas before crossing the border and taking a bus to Ensenada. He'll be returning to La Paz to continue his classes in August. He explained the costs for his college are low, but he struggles to pay for housing, meals, books etc. in La Paz.

During lunch I asked him what he enjoyed most about his trip north. He told me he liked trying Vietnamese food for the first time, during a trip to Chinatown in San Francisco. (Maybe I should have taken him to San Diego's version of Little Saigon.)

I was happy to help Julian as he did his immersion studies. These home-stays are important for learning the language, and getting an introduction to different cultures.

Thanks again for your help expanding Julian's view of the world!

[Edited on 7-29-2016 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-28-2016 at 12:28 PM

Thank You for stepping up in a time of need.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2016 at 06:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  

During lunch I asked him what he enjoyed most about his trip north. He told me he liked trying Vietnamese food for the first time, during a trip to Chinatown in San Francisco.

That's the United States!! A Mexican travels to the US for the first time and the best part is the Vietnamese food served in Chinatown. Still the melting pot. Good story.:D
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2016 at 06:34 PM

Excellent story - rekindles my faith in humankind.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2016 at 07:02 PM

We can reach this goal amiguitos! Over 300 people looked into the thread I started. With one dollar each we would have already repaid Lori !

Please consider sending $5. We can do thissssssssssssssssss

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-28-2016 at 08:28 PM

This isn't that hard, just a $20.00 bill/check. If you send any money to dnc or the rnc this is a better cause.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2016 at 04:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
This isn't that hard, just a $20.00 bill/check. If you send any money to dnc or the rnc this is a better cause.

This cause definitely trumps any of those others. :saint::dudette::rolleyes:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2016 at 06:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
Quote: Originally posted by MMc  

This cause definitely trumps any of those others. :saint::dudette::rolleyes:

This is just Hillarious.......
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2016 at 03:17 PM

Ha! I see what you did there...

As a "no party preference" person: I appreciate the support from anyone, regardless of political affiliation!

Thanks again for helping.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2016 at 03:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  

During lunch I asked him what he enjoyed most about his trip north. He told me he liked trying Vietnamese food for the first time, during a trip to Chinatown in San Francisco.

That's the United States!! A Mexican travels to the US for the first time and the best part is the Vietnamese food served in Chinatown. Still the melting pot. Good story.:D

So true! The trip was a great introduction to diversity. He commented on being surprised to see so many Asians, and all the trees in Sacramento.

It would be great to have more Baja students from small towns have this type of experience.

Thanks for your work organizing this trip Blanca- glad I could help.

Lori

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2016 at 04:13 PM

great news! thanks again Lori for taking such good care of my "kid"!

Thanks nomads for reimbursing :bounce:

I saw Julian for the first time yesterday evening after he got back to La Bocana ... he really did learn a lot about our culture and will be writing a piece for me as well as doing a presentation to the other teens this December.

He just moved into a new place before he left on this US adventure, and my mom donated pots and pans, as he had none:

He loved his bajanomad homestay family and he loved my mom and sister who took him around San Diego the day before he embarked on this adventure. This is Julian at Sunset Cliffs (my old stomping grounds):

and he also went to Balboa park which astounded him. That day they also went to soup plantation:

Thank you everybody !!!!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.