Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Great article on Camillo Magoni and his 'new' winery
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2016 at 05:08 AM
Great article on Camillo Magoni and his 'new' winery

Mike Dunne, who writes a weekly column in the Sac Bee on wine, interviews Sr. Magoni here.

I took a few things out of this: the valley is getting hotter and dryer; after 40 years of being LA Cetto's winemaker, he still is working out what varieties will make the valley's signature wine; hoping that his book on the history of the wine industry in the valley gets translated to English; his price points are very refreshing - Dunne says many are in the $12 range.
He claims a canal from TJ to the valley bringing in reclaimed water that is currently going to the ocean is feasible given the growing economy of the valley.
I have never had any of his wines under the Magoni label, anyone try them? Dunne says his cab/sangiovese blend is a hit in Texas.
His website is http://casamagoni.com/. From what I can tell, the tasting room is in TJ, does anyone know if there is tasting available in the valley?
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2016 at 08:38 AM

Thanks for posting this.

Casa Magoni has a nice website. However, it's not clear if there is a tasting room in Tijuana, let alone in Guadalupe Valley. The Tijuana address is in the Zona Río. I going to try to stop by in the next several week to see what's there. I hope at least to be able to buy something or sample the wine.

They have a wine called Origen 43, named after the 43rd parallel of Tuscany, Italy. It's a blend of Sangiovese, Aglianico, Canaiolo, Montepulciano, and a little Cabernet. I've never heard of the first four varietals!

Some Mexicans told me about the reclaimed water line back to Guadalupe Valley from Tijuana. It sounds like a project of many years to complete. I had noticed the vineyard in East Tijuana. I didn't know who was growing there. Mogani is already using reclaimed water there. All very interesting.
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2016 at 09:00 AM

I just sent an email to Casa Magoni asking about a tasting room and wine sales. I'll see if I get an answer.
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2016 at 10:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gsbotanico  
I just sent an email to Casa Magoni asking about a tasting room and wine sales. I'll see if I get an answer.

I received a qucik answer:

Hola buenos dias, espero se encuentre bien.
Muchas Gracias por su preferencia, le comento que no contamos con sala para degustacion por el momento pero en nuestra Boutique Magoni encuentra toda la linea de vinos de Casa Magono la cual, esta ubicada en calle Jose Maria Velazco no.1407, Zona Rio Tijuana B., C. cp. 22660
Telefono 634 71 29
Horario de Lunes a Viernes de 9 am. a 6 pm.
Saludos

A summary translation: No tasting room at this time. All the wines are available at Boutique Magoni located at calle Jose Maria Velazco no.1407, Zona Rio Tijuana B., C. cp. 22660, open Monday thru Friday from 9am to 6 pm.

The boutique is located in the river zone on a cross street of Paseo de los Heroes between the third and fourth roundabouts on the side toward the river channel. I plan to stop there next week.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2016 at 11:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gsbotanico  

The boutique is located in the river zone on a cross street of Paseo de los Heroes between the third and fourth roundabouts on the side toward the river channel. I plan to stop there next week.

Good, please post what you found. I'm particularly interested in the cab/sangiovesse blend - it has generated a following in the Southwest according to Mike Dunne.
As a side note, this December SWMBO and I will be visiting the Texas Hill country where there are many wineries - Texas Tempranillo is a big deal and is often blended with cab.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.