Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: AFIB and traveling SOB
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 10:29 AM
AFIB and traveling SOB

So a simple question...any Baja folks here have AFIB and travel the peninsula still? Never had the problem and two days ago I took 4 big swallows of almost frozen water and ended up in the ER and ICU with AFIB. So I just want to hear from other adventurers who have still kept roaming. I asked abt precautions other than I should never again drink cold liquids and was told I should be fine. I mentioned being out for weeks on a mule in Mexico a 5 day ride to my truck on a ranch and everyone's expressions changed. OH goodie...I've been doing this for almost 50 years but this is a new surprise.:o

My other 4WD is a Baja Mule!

La Mula Mil Survivor 2013-2014!
1000 miles by mule from the tip to Tecate!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 10:38 AM

Bucko, what is AFIB? It is fortunate for you that ice water, and mules don't usually occur together.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 11:14 AM

AFIB ---atrial fibrillation--suddenly yr heart rate becomes wild and all over and beats up like 160 or more. Stroke is the major issue as when this happens it is the upper part of the heart-the atriums-don't pump well resulting in clots that can take you out. I was "shocked" to get the heart back into normal rhythm (?). Abnormal heart beats are common in the normal population and usually self-correct but AFIB can stroke you out and the extremely outta control rate can get yr heart. Most people are on meds the rest of their life but if it happens and the ER meds don't stop it, you have to get "converted" back to normal rhythm by a dr. If you google COLD DRINKS and AFIB there is a lot of stuff but most drs overlook that idea. In fact I came across a journal article from Jan 2016 specifically about that. Three drs said to me really cold drinks, slurpees, ice water even ice cream can trigger the vagal nerve at the top of the heart. Who knows but I have never had anything like this happen and the water I had just sipped was the coldest I ever had...maybe 34 degrees. Within minutes I had a major boxing match going on in my chest that did not stop. Any ways I know there are a ton of guys traveling to remote places who have this under control w drugs but I would feel better hearing how they deal...I spend a lot of time on a mule when I am SOB.

I am so thru w cold drinks after all these years......just concerned abt what else might set it off next...yea, I worry too much.

[Edited on 9-10-2016 by Baja Bucko]

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 11:35 AM

I had an episode of ventricular tachycardia several years ago in the US....heart rate was 205. Spent 11 days in Cardiac ICU. Finally controlled with meds. Now taking 100mg of Amiodarone, all is well, no problems
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 11:44 AM

Okay, A-fib, that is what I thought you meant. Yes, my heart is in atrial fibrillation all the time, I don't have sudden episodes. It was diagnosed ten years ago, and the doctors decided that I was not a candidate for jolting my heart back into sinus rhythm.

Prior to the A-Fib, I had above average cardio capacity, so I manage to continue my normal activities, but at a lower level of stamina. I am 69 and I still ski at 8500 feet, cut my own fire wood, and go way off road in Baja, but if I start getting light headed, I slow down, or rest. I just don't circulate enough blood to keep my muscles supplied with oxygen.

The main danger is from blood clots forming in the atrium, then moving on causing stroke, or pulmonary embolism. With proper medication, you should be able to keep on with a near normal routine.

I have not had problems with cold drinks, but usually drink my water without ice because of sensitive teeth.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 12:04 PM

This may not be helpful, but I have had problems with really cold drinks most of my adult life. Drinking iced-drinks makes me feel uncomfortable in the chest (vague pain), always has, and therefore I don't do that. It's great for Baja or the boonies because I don't have to worry about ice much. Being English, I like my beer, water, and drinks 'room-temp' anyway, so that too is an advantage out in the boonies. It's amazing how you get use to 'not cold' drinks! My very-English wife is the same way. I have never had any "known" heart problems, am 78, but I long (25 yrs) have had high blood pressure running about 145 over 95 (plus and minus), and tho am on 100mgs per day of LOSARTAN, it really does not seem to help me much. The docs have just pretty much given up on lowering my blood pressure below the 145/95 level, and I have tried a lot of different BP meds with practically no positive results, and several allergic reactions like swollen lips, tongue and throat, and I retain water on diuretics. Go figure!!

Good luck with this, and hopefully you will not experience any more of those type scary problems, but I really do think the ice-cold stuff MATTERS based on my anecdotal experiences.

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 12:40 PM

Was diagnosed with a fib 10 years ago. I'm now 80 and the irregular beat is with me. Doctor wanted me on Warfarin/Cumadin, but after consideration I decided against it. Too many drawbacks, mainly having to be tested every couple of weeks, a pain when you live in Loreto. Also, since I had 2 stents put in, I take a whole aspirin a day and 75 mg of Plavix , also a blood thinner. Have to be careful with cuts, since it takes forever for bleeding to stop. But otherwise nothing different than 10 years ago.
Be careful of the Cumadin type newcomers they will try to put you on.
Seems they do more harm than good

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 01:21 PM

I hope for you that it was an isolated incident. If it is happening on a regular basis then you need to get the problem resolved. Drugs or ablation being the common fix.

When treated with drugs afib can be controlled although it usually doesn`t last. The drugs have some terrible side effects.

I went the ablation route after 2 years on those horrid drugs. I am now afib free.

So to answer your question. Its up to you. I traveled with my afib and it wasn`t much fun. I would not recomend it. Very stressfull.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

[Edited on 9-10-2016 by chippy]
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 02:54 PM

Never had anything like this before...and I don't want it again. On the big drugs til the cardiologist's follow-up and boy, do I have a bunch of questions for her even after all of my research!). I'm going to go walk on the treadmill in my front room now and do what ever I'm supposed to. Thanks for everyone's input. I belong on the back of a mule so I'll stick w that.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 05:15 PM

After doing a couple of Baja trips in April I went to my family DR. for a routine physical. They noticed my heart rate at 150. He asked me if I felt dizzy, no, did I have chest pains, no, did I have a shortness of breath, no, I felt fine. The Family Dr. calls my heart Dr. and they tell me to go to the ER. I'm in ICU with IVs etc and my heart rate was up and down from 70 to 130+ and back down. I never felt bad. On the 4th day the heart Dr. shocks me and my heart rate returns to normal. They release me that evening.

They put me on Amiodarone a antiarrhythmic drug and Xarelto, a blood thinner. After about 4-6 weeks I notice my breathing was somewhat strained when I took my Sunday walks and when I worked out. At first I thought it was the air quality in Bakersfield. I noticed that the reading material on both meds say breathing problems are a side effect.

A week ago I saw my heart DR. and he took me off Xarelto and reduced my Amiodarone from 200 mg to 100 mg. So far I still have the strained breathing problem but hope it gets better. It does not keep me from walking or working out but I do notice a difference.

My daughter is a nurse and she thinks it all started from me taking 5 hour energy drinks before my workouts along with my albuterol inhaler. I don't take the albuterol often just when my breathing is hard from dust, smoke etc. But I have taken it before a workout. It's my quick action inhaler for Asthma.

Cold drinks have never caused any problems for me nor hot ones.

None of this keeps me from traveling, Baja here I come.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 06:06 PM

CUIDATE amiga! y ya unicamente toma bebidas al tiempo!!! TQM

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 06:19 PM

I had never heard of drinking very cold water and having issues! Really important to know.

My husband Les had the shocks and they wore off, after a while his heart acted up again and drove him nuts.

Then he had two maybe three ablations. It has been years now and he is a happy camper. No more issues and I know he drinks that beer stinking cold when he can!

We live in the middle of the peninsula and he is very careful with his meds - so far so good.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 06:36 PM

What is an ablation?
I remember Les needing to have it done- what is involved? Surgery or...?

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 06:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
What is an ablation?
I remember Les needing to have it done- what is involved? Surgery or...?

No surgery, but the room is very cold!!

http://www.stopafib.org/catheter.cfm?REFCODE=GooglePPC&Q...
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 08:15 PM

My best friend had the ablation..her A Fib would come and go come and go and convert on its own. So far it has helped her abt 85% but she was not well for 6 months after. My EVENT-afib- just WHAMMED me when I took the ice cold nr frozen water-4 big swallows and------it took the shock (cardioversion) to get it back in normal rhythm. I have NEVER had this happen to me before so I do not know what to think. I am thru w cold anything....

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2016 at 07:58 AM

AFIB is gone for me. I went from occasional extra beets over a 5 year period then I went into Afib. Treatment started with the usual chemical treatment combined with the new, latest, blood thinner to prevent the blood clots. Two versions of different meds did not work so the next step was electrical cardioversion. First try lasted for 20 minutes, second try with a different med worked and my heart rate is back to the rate before the extra beats. Monitoring is easy and is just to keep a track record of my pulse.
Luck was with me to have a superstar cardiologist right here in Durango CO.
I am a happy guy now and am doing stuff not possible for a long time.
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2016 at 08:53 AM

Had atrial flutter--one step below A-fib. Finally had an ablation to fix it. During the time between the first flutter incident and the ablation, a period of about three weeks, the docs told me to do a "Vagal Message" if I felt any symptoms starting up. Find your carotid artery in your neck and just message it lightly with your fingertips for about 30 seconds. It is supposed to help you "convert" back to a regular heartbeat. It worked for me during that time. Since the ablation, I haven't had any problems. Check with your doc to be sure. Good luck.:)

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2016 at 09:11 AM

You should get the opinion of a cardiologist to find out what caused the AFIB. I know you relate the incident to cold liquid, but the reason goes much farther. It could be nothing, but it could be something.
Go to Costco, or online, and buy one of those blood pressure bracelets that indicate when AFIB is happening or not.
Don't take this occurrence lightly.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 9-11-2016 at 09:28 AM

As the others have said the main threat from A-fib is blood clots which go to your brain and cause a stroke. You will need to be on blood thinners to control that -- Xarelto (which is the target of TV ambulance chasing lawyers) is a very effective one. The most common one is 81 gm (baby) aspirin.

A-fib can be cause by a strong jolt of some kind. I know a very good cardiologist who once played semi pro football who repeatedly got A-fib when he was clobbered in the line.

Go see your doc!

EBB
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2016 at 08:08 PM

Good advice. See a cardiologist any time you suspect an irregular heart beat. Even an occasional intermittent pulse is serious enough to be a concern. It take about 5 minutes to get an EKG in the Drs office to see what is going on. If is confirms then regular EKG is usually prescribed along with blood thinner. In the beginning the ekg is usually every 6 months. Many people die of stroke because they ignore those funny heart beats.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.