Author: Subject: Tuna love
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-11-2016 at 09:44 AM
Tuna love

Nomads,
An interesting article about tuna....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-tuna-fascination-1.3753629

How about some stories from the Nomad fishers....

Don't believe everything you think....
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2016 at 01:40 PM

Are there Blue Fin in the Sea of Cortez??
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 9-11-2016 at 02:04 PM
I know I'm a hypocrite but......

I love to fish and I also love to catch and eat tuna, mostly Yellowfin. Blue Fin might be in the Sea of Cortez but I have never seen them. Yes, I also eat tuna fish from the can.

But to me, I am not sure which is sadder, to see one of those magnificent gigantic Blue Fin hanging or watching fisherman catch baby's and don't release them to grow and procreate.

Just a personal observation.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-11-2016 at 02:17 PM

fished the 182 fathom spot this morning for 0. 15 other boats caught 5ish total to 20-25#s. Yellowfin.

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2016 at 03:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
fished the 182 fathom spot this morning for 0. 15 other boats caught 5ish total to 20-25#s. Yellowfin.

Yellowfin is not a tuna. Belongs to the mackerel family. Only Americans call them tuna because they do not want to admit that they eat mackerel.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 9-11-2016 at 04:33 PM
If you can't trust Google, who can you trust?

The yellowfin tuna (Thunnus albacares) is a species of tuna found in pelagic waters of tropical and subtropical oceans worldwide. Yellowfin is often marketed as ahi, from the Hawaiian ʻahi, a name also used there for the closely related bigeye tuna.

Maybe you were thinking about Yellowtail.

George Bernard Shaw

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2016 at 04:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
The yellowfin tuna (Thunnus albacares) is a species of tuna found in pelagic waters of tropical and subtropical oceans worldwide. Yellowfin is often marketed as ahi, from the Hawaiian ʻahi, a name also used there for the closely related bigeye tuna.

Maybe you were thinking about Yellowtail.

Howard, You are damn right! Thanks. I made a mix-up though.
BUT: who is right pays for the next beer!
Howard
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2016 at 04:51 PM
Not to put fuel on the fire....

I was always under the impression the Yellowtail is in the Jack family, not the mackerel family.

That makes 2 beers or were even. :biggrin:

George Bernard Shaw

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2016 at 07:32 PM

I was always under the impression the Yellowtail is in the Jack family, not the mackerel family.

That makes 2 beers or were even. :biggrin:

"Jack" is an only American expression. (Not to mix-up with a floor jack. Or high jack. Or jack ass) in Mexico you call them Mackerels - as far as I know. That makes it 2:1 in beer norms.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2016 at 09:12 PM

All mackerels, tunas, skipjacks, and bonitos belong to the Scombridae family. The genus/species name of mackerel is scomber scombrus. Therefore all the above fish types belong to the mackerel family.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-11-2016 at 09:21 PM

What would Carl Linnaeus say?

Mmmmm, tastes like tuna
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2016 at 09:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
All mackerels, tunas, skipjacks, and bonitos belong to the Scombridae family. The genus/species name of mackerel is scomber scombrus. Therefore all the above fish types belong to the mackerel family.

VERY good information! Thanks for it.
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2016 at 06:40 AM

I went out tuna fishing on a 3/4 day boat (The Liberty, Fisherman's Landing San Diego) Sept 06. Tuna fishing is always a hit or miss proposition; the previous day 42 anglers on the same boat only managed to catch 2 fish. On my trip the next day 15 anglers caught 34 tuna 20-30 lbs. This was about 25 miles SW offshore in Mexican waters. The usual pattern was followed, a couple of guys with top end gear, fluorocarbon, and a lot of experience caught several fish each, the semi-experienced guys (like me) fishing old mono from last season on Big 5 rods managed to get one, and the crew hooked and handed off fish to the newbies who otherwise represented a sad spectacle of tangles and frustration. The fish were line shy, 20 pound test was needed to get them to bite.
I have often wondered why the fishing seems so much better the further south you go. Of course water temperature plays a big role. However, 100 years ago it was common for huge tuna to be caught offshore Los Angeles. My theory is that the "primitive" sewage systems in Mexico, where (much smaller quantities, per capita) of wastewater is spread out across thousands of land discharge points. What doesn't soak into the earth trickles though "wetlands" where it is is purified by the cleansing effects of filtration, oxygen and sunlight. This may be superior, in terms of supporting plankton (the basic food source of baitfish and thus large predator fish) than the NOB practice of getting everyone hooked up to a single sewer system and discharging it all into it to the ocean offshore via deep water sewage outfalls.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-12-2016 at 06:48 AM

Water temp sunday was 61 at MB jetty and 69 at the 182.

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2016 at 11:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
I went out tuna fishing on a 3/4 day boat (The Liberty, Fisherman's Landing San Diego) Sept 06. Tuna fishing is always a hit or miss proposition; the previous day 42 anglers on the same boat only managed to catch 2 fish. On my trip the next day 15 anglers caught 34 tuna 20-30 lbs. This was about 25 miles SW offshore in Mexican waters. The usual pattern was followed, a couple of guys with top end gear, fluorocarbon, and a lot of experience caught several fish each, the semi-experienced guys (like me) fishing old mono from last season on Big 5 rods managed to get one, and the crew hooked and handed off fish to the newbies who otherwise represented a sad spectacle of tangles and frustration. The fish were line shy, 20 pound test was needed to get them to bite.
I have often wondered why the fishing seems so much better the further south you go. Of course water temperature plays a big role. However, 100 years ago it was common for huge tuna to be caught offshore Los Angeles. My theory is that the "primitive" sewage systems in Mexico, where (much smaller quantities, per capita) of wastewater is spread out across thousands of land discharge points. What doesn't soak into the earth trickles though "wetlands" where it is is purified by the cleansing effects of filtration, oxygen and sunlight. This may be superior, in terms of supporting plankton (the basic food source of baitfish and thus large predator fish) than the NOB practice of getting everyone hooked up to a single sewer system and discharging it all into it to the ocean offshore via deep water sewage outfalls.

I do have the same thinking like you, bajaric. And here is why. When I lived in Mulege, you could experience to catch the most fish in the area some miles out of the river mouth. Plenty of Sardines as bait for game fish. (today a little different) Here in Cabo San Lucas where sewage is released into the harbor and floats towards the ocean, the best fishing ground is some miles in front of the harbor. Of course there is good fishing miles and miles into the open waters. There you catch the real big ones. But they are there to feast on the smaller ones. And the smaller ones feast on the Sardines close to shore. Now, it is also nature that small fish are always close to shore. Instinct, as the big ones don`t like shallow waters.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2016 at 12:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
What would Carl Linnaeus say?

Mmmmm, tastes like tuna

As I recall Linnaeus named all those plants and animals without ever having left Sweden. He probably only saw a handful alive.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2016 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  

You are correct.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.