BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Legal Handguns In Mexico?
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 09:40 AM
Legal Handguns In Mexico?

I was reading an article in one of my online gun magazines and found this article a little surprising, will this happen? JH

"On October 6, 2016, Mexican Senator Jorge Luis Preciado of the Partido Acción Nacional (PAN) published a policy recommendation in the Senate Gazette to amend Article 10 of the Mexican Constitution to emulate the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, allowing Mexico citizens to carry handguns for personal protection in their homes, vehicles, and businesses.
Preciado argues that the natural right to possess arms as a means of self-defense is affirmed in the Second Amendment, which states that “a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.” Preciado stated that Mexicans, too, “have the right to legitimate self-defense, and if a criminal enters my house or my business, he should at least know that on the other side there could be someone that has a weapon with which to respond … because we have organized groups that are completely armed and we have a society that is in a complete state of defenselessness.”
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 09:51 AM

That is great news for Mexican citizens. In the US, the areas with more legal gun ownership, crime is lowest. Where only criminals are armed and the law abiding citizens are unarmed, you have the highest crime.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 09:53 AM

and here we go......:(
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 09:58 AM

Mexicans already have the right to own guns in their home.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 10:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

This is true. Rifles,shotguns and pistols 32 ca. and under. You go to thee nearest army base to purchase and register.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 10:17 AM

Actually, there is only one "legal" gun store in Mexico where you can purchase firearms. It is in Mexico City and operated by the Army. You can purchase a previously owned/registered firearm from a private party, obtain a transport permit from the Army and complete the transfer at an Army base. You can also legally own firearms and transport them if you are a member of a registered and legal shooting/hunting club

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

This is true. Rifles,shotguns and pistols 32 ca. and under. You go to thee nearest army base to purchase and register.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 10:36 AM

I guess The shotgun I bought at the army base here in Jalisco was illegal:o Who woulda thunk.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 11:40 AM

Never heard of foreigners buying firearms from the military. Did it come with any kind of permit?

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 11:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajamedic  
I was reading an article in one of my online gun magazines and found this article a little surprising, will this happen? JH

Never happen. Mexico has gone to extensive efforts to disempower their people, effectively taking revolution off the table of probabilities, and they aren't about to give that up.
Times are tough and they don't want 140 million desperate citizens out there making ends meet at the end of a gun.

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 12:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Never heard of foreigners buying firearms from the military. Did it come with any kind of permit?

I´m not a foreigner. My escopeta is registered at the base and I have a receipt.
kencolamarino

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 01:23 PM

Former SF and LE. Have brought shotguns with proper doc's into Mexico to dove and duck hunt many times. Had to have notarized forms with serial numbers in my passport to get the guns BACK INTO the US. Researched gun ownership for my Primo who has FM3 (now Residente Permanente?). This from WIKI is pretty much what I found out. Yes, you do have to go to Mexico City. Having said this, things may just be done differently in the "Frontier" Baja.

Sales and ownership

Private ownership of firearms is restricted to the home only.[38] Only Mexican citizens and foreign legal residents of Mexico (FM2 holders) may purchase and keep firearms in their place of residence. The Directorate of Commercialization of Arms and Munitions (Dirección de Comercialización de Armamento y Municiones - DCAM) is the only outlet authorized to sell firearms and ammunition in the country and it is located in Mexico City near SEDENA's headquarters.[39][40] The transfer of ownership and the sale and purchase of firearms between individuals is also permitted, but the transaction must receive authorization from the Secretariat of National Defense by both parties (buyer and seller) appearing in person along with the weapon, to conduct the transaction in accordance to requirements set by law.[41]
Firearm activity authorized by law

There are generally five ways private citizens may lawfully purchase, register, own and keep firearms in the home:

For home defense (seguridad y legítima defensa)
For hunting (cacería)
For target practice (tiro)
For shooting sport competition (competencia)
For collection (colección)

For home defense, the government will authorize the sale and registration of one handgun of the types and calibers permitted by law.[28] For hunting, target practice or competition, the government will authorize the sale and registration of up to nine long guns (rifles or shotguns) and one handgun of the types and calibers permitted by law (must belong to a hunting and/or shooting club for these permits to be issued).[31] For collection, the government may authorize the sale and registration of an unlimited amount of firearms of any type and caliber in accordance to law and regulation.[31]
Procedures to own a firearm

Private citizens wishing to acquire a firearm and ammunition are required by law to do the following:[42]

Apply for a firearm acquisition permit from the General Directorate of the Federal Firearms Registry and Explosives Control (DGRFAFyCE) in the Secretariat of National Defense (SEDENA) either by mail or in person by submitting the following:
(for Mexican citizens, males under 40) Copy of liberated National Military Service card; (for females or males over 40) certified birth certificate. Foreigners must provide documentation establishing legal presence (FM2 card),
Proof of income by submitting original employment letter stating position, time of employment and salary. If self-employed or retired, proof of such status,
Criminal background check showing no convictions, issued by the state's Attorney General where applicant resides (dated no older than six months),
Copy of proof of address (any utility bill in name of applicant; if different, head of household must sign a letter authorizing firearms and ammunition in the home),
Copy of government-issued photo identification (Voter ID Card if Mexican citizen, passport and FM2 card if foreign citizen),
If weapons are requested for shooting or hunting, must submit copy of hunting and/or shooting club membership card, indicating day, month and year of the beginning and end of validation,
Copy of birth certificate. Name(s) and last names must match all other documents, and
Copy of the Unique Key of Population Registry (Clave Única de Registro de Población - CURP) Analogous to US social security card and number.
Upon being granted the firearm acquisition permit, fill out form and make payment of MX$95.00 (US$7.60) for Permit to Purchase Firearm, Accessories and/or Ammunition,
Fill out form and make payment of MX$39.00 (US$3.12) for Registration of Firearm (one form and payment per gun),
Contact the Directorate of Commercialization of Arms and Munitions (DCAM) by internet or in person to make payment of firearm.
With all receipts and documentation, along with photo ID, appear in person at DCAM to pick up firearm. A temporary transportation permit (valid for 24 to 72hrs) is granted, which permits the owner to transport the firearm from DCAM to his or her home by personal or public transportation (ground or air).

Ken
kencolamarino

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 01:33 PM

Complete Wikipedia on history

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Mexico

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 02:37 PM

I´m not a foreigner. My escopeta is registered at the base and I have a receipt.

Got it, but I have a legal registered pistol, bought from a gun club member. We had to take it to the base and have it re-registered in my name. The permit which they gave me was a full sheet pink form that I was told the gun club members have as well for all of their weapons.
They, the members, suggested I have it laminated, as they all did with theirs, to keep it from being damaged......which I did.
So...are we talking about the same military? Hard to imagine they would have different interpretations of rules pertaining to guns in Mexico.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 02:41 PM

Quote:
Quote: Originally posted by kencolamarino  
Complete Wikipedia on history

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Mexico

The catch-22 for the guy on the street is they have little access to legal firearms to purchase. Buying one off the street breaks a bunch of laws as does transporting one through the border.
They are allowed to have guns, but unable to legally buy one.
This is the government control which I alluded to above.

[Edited on 10-23-2016 by DENNIS]

kencolamarino

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 04:33 PM

I may have to stand corrected. I found and went back through my notes, and found that I had written "Private sales of registered long guns are legal, but the buyer must register the gun within 30 days with the military’s arms registry." There was no citation from where I got the quote.

Ken
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 04:41 PM

Got it, but I have a legal registered pistol, bought from a gun club member. We had to take it to the base and have it re-registered in my name. The permit which they gave me was a full sheet pink form that I was told the gun club members have as well for all of their weapons.
They, the members, suggested I have it laminated, as they all did with theirs, to keep it from being damaged......which I did.
So...are we talking about the same military? Hard to imagine they would have different interpretations of rules pertaining to guns in Mexico.

I don´t know which Mexico you live in but down here its very easy to imagine different interpretations of all laws and rules:lol:.

[Edited on 10-23-2016 by chippy]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 07:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kencolamarino  
I may have to stand corrected. I found and went back through my notes, and found that I had written "Private sales of registered long guns are legal, but the buyer must register the gun within 30 days with the military’s arms registry." There was no citation from where I got the quote.

Ken

The weapon must be registered with the military to be legal in country prior to sale. It must be imported as a firearm by a qualified owner. That includes temporary permits for hunters. "Qualified owner." Not just anybody.

[Edited on 10-24-2016 by DENNIS]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 07:09 PM

I don´t know which Mexico you live in but down here its very easy to imagine different interpretations of all laws and rules:lol:.

I think the military is held to higher standards unless you registered your escopeta with the Salvation Army.

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2016 at 04:00 AM

I think the military is held to higher standards unless you registered your escopeta with the Salvation Army.

Higher standards? I see you are clueless as to whats going on in Mexico.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2016 at 07:24 AM

Hardly clueless, but to compare the conduct of the military with that of a city police force on the mordida trail is absurd. Firearms importation is a serious issue here and somewhat transparent. Hardly worth someone's career to gamble over a few lousy dollars.
Add to that......if all you got from the military was a receipt for your purchase of a shotgun, I'd say you just set yourself up for disaster because that's not the way it works legally, but that would apply more to foreigners which by your statement that you aren't one, implying you are a National, so I guess you have nothing to worry about.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.