Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Living in Mexico with the peso tanking
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-11-2016 at 12:45 PM
Living in Mexico with the peso tanking

Here's something you might want to consider, if you live in Mexico.

With the dollar so strong vs the peso right now (it's virtually at 21.00 as I write), you might want to consider paying for six months or so of your electric and/or phone bill in advance.

At this point, it's like saving 10-15% with the dollar worth about 2+ more pesos than it was a month ago.

Yes, the peso could go even lower...........but that only means your SAVINGS are a little less. Or, I suppose you could pay even more in advance. A form of hedging.

We have a couple of friends that live down here seasonally and they have always paid Telmex and CFE A YEAR IN ADVANCE (you estimate with CFE) and the utilities have never made an accounting error. Not one penny. So, it would seem pretty safe.

When the dollar hits these heights, it's time to SPEND, SPEND, SPEND like drunken sailors on leave. Convert those dollars into goods and services. Your Mexican friends will appreciate it.

Ugly Americans? Not us!!!

[Edited on 11-11-2016 by Hook]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2016 at 12:59 PM

good point! wish I could think of something to buy!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2016 at 01:12 PM

i may very well have this wrong...but, when i have payed ahead with CFE, i have been charged IVA when i make the payment, and again when the funds are applied to the bill. please correct me if i have this wrong. 16%+16%!

[Edited on 11-11-2016 by pacificobob]
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2016 at 02:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
good point! wish I could think of something to buy!

How about a round of drinks at Charly`s? And do it quick before the peso recovers!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2016 at 03:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
i may very well have this wrong...but, when i have payed ahead with CFE, i have been charged IVA when i make the payment, and again when the funds are applied to the bill. please correct me if i have this wrong. 16%+16%!

I believe you are correct. At least I'm pretty sure they charged the IVA when I prepaid yet it still shows up on the bill.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2016 at 04:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

At this point, it's like saving 10-15% with the dollar worth about 2+ more pesos than it was a month ago.

Don't live down SOB, but somehow saving 10% doesn't get me too giddy,
reminds me of those gulible TV commercials re: credit cards,
spend a lot and get 1% back, let me know when there is a 30%
savings
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2016 at 04:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

savings

we will be sure to do that...:rolleyes:
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 11-11-2016 at 05:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

Funny you should bring up 30% savings, in Loreto they just announced the discount on property tax is discounted 30% for paying it early which I believe is really just on time. Just like last year.

savings

we will be sure to do that...:rolleyes:

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-11-2016 at 05:51 PM

This is the time we need a "LIKE" button!

Here's something you might want to consider, if you live in Mexico.

With the dollar so strong vs the peso right now (it's virtually at 21.00 as I write), you might want to consider paying for six months or so of your electric and/or phone bill in advance.

Yes, the peso could go even lower...........but that only means your SAVINGS are a little less. Or, I suppose you could pay even more in advance. A form of hedging.

We have a couple of friends that live down here seasonally and they have always paid Telmex and CFE A YEAR IN ADVANCE (you estimate with CFE) and the utilities have never made an accounting error. Not one penny. So, it would seem pretty safe.

When the dollar hits these heights, it's time to SPEND, SPEND, SPEND like drunken sailors on leave. Convert those dollars into goods and services. Your Mexican friends will appreciate it.

Ugly Americans? Not us!!!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2016 at 06:40 PM

Only matters if you pay in dollars...and that may not mater soon if the put a tariff on changing to pesos. either way you are screwed if you bought into the Mexico is cheaper stuff. Soon Obreogon will kick you out anyway.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 11-11-2016 at 09:53 PM

All you need to buy is pesos. Then hope it doesn't reverse.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-12-2016 at 09:36 AM

It sure is a great time to invest in property down here...in Asuncion there are several houses for sale in the $50,000 range that are 2 bedroom, half a block from the beach with power and water...super deals and 3 Beach Houses on the market from $75-130,000....and lots of lots for between 3-5 grand too!!! U2U me for details

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-12-2016 at 09:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
It sure is a great time to invest in property down here...in Asuncion there are several houses for sale in the $50,000 range that are 2 bedroom, half a block from the beach with power and water...super deals and 3 Beach Houses on the market from $75-130,000....and lots of lots for between 3-5 grand too!!! U2U me for details

shari..when stuff is priced in dollars its the same price...

when stuff is priced in pesos itbecomes a bargin...sometimes

the dollar is not devaluing the peso is

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-12-2016 at 09:47 AM

Lots are too small. Houses don't have privacy or buffer from noisy and possibly obnoxious neighbors. Isn't that Udo's unsold house problem, too close to a party house?
The real estate market needs to wise up and realize that in remote boonies like here, lots should be large.
Never understood why such small lots exist in an area of boundless undeveloped space.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2016 at 10:23 AM

Common situation. Small lots...small price. Buy two.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-12-2016 at 08:30 PM

there are small lots and big lots...many are 500 square meters and there are some double lots 1,000 square meters and also some big parcels if you want ejido land.

Yes Udo's house is close to another house and not sure just what is going in next door as construction was halted long ago...but other houses are well situated like Red Mesas place is a double lot and completely walled in, private, nice Nomad neighbours and just a great deal at $75,000!!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2016 at 08:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Lots are too small. Houses don't have privacy or buffer from noisy and possibly obnoxious neighbors. Isn't that Udo's unsold house problem, too close to a party house?
The real estate market needs to wise up and realize that in remote boonies like here, lots should be large.
Never understood why such small lots exist in an area of boundless undeveloped space.

Each part of town is different...our lot is huge along with all of our neighbors.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-13-2016 at 08:33 AM

this thread is about the peso tanking to the dollar...

anything priced in dollars is the same price

anything priced in pesos...
maybe there is a "deal" when the peso drops in value

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2016 at 08:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

I looked at my bill and prepayment for this year, and they only charged the IVA when they took money for that two month bill. So, no, effectively only charging the IVA for the amount of your bill.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-13-2016 at 09:13 AM

Who said I have a problem with the house?
The place next door has not been touched in years and is now for sale.
Our house sits on one single large lot (it was originally two lots). The only thing in front of the house is a patch of sand, the Federal zone, and the Pacific Ocean.
All the parties and noisy neighbors are in the town itself. Our house is located at the North end of town, with maybe 4 neighbors within 1000'.
And the way the breeze blows, even the BA fiestas could not be heard.

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.