Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Toyota problems continue
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2016 at 08:34 AM
Toyota problems continue

Toyota will pay up to $3.4 billion to settle a class-action lawsuit brought by U.S. pickup and SUV owners whose vehicles lacked adequate rust protection.
Court filings show that the settlement, reached on Oct. 31, covers 1.5 million vehicles, dealing a financial blow to the Japanese automaker whose trucks were subject to corrosion that could harm their structural integrity.
The settlement applies to Tacoma trucks made from 2005 to 2010, Sequoias from 2005 to 2008, and Tundras from 2007 to 2008.
The settlement estimates the value of replacing the frame at roughly $15,000 per vehicle.
Under the settlement, Toyota will inspect vehicles for 12 years from their initial sales or lease date to decide if the owner is eligible for a replaced frame or reimbursement.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2016 at 08:40 AM

Ouch. Will David be getting some cash?

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2016 at 08:54 AM

The first generation Tacoma was also subject to rust and Toyota replaced many frames thru 2014, 10 years after the last Gen 1. The vehicles were from states that used salt on the winter hwys. I would imagine this is similar.

I have a 2004 Gen 1 but do not have the rust problem. My truck was first sold in VA but the owner moved to the LA area soon after buying it.
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 11-14-2016 at 08:56 AM

I had a 2001 Tundra which went down "That Road" between Puertecitos and Gonzaga Bay about 20 times without ever developing a squeak or rattle. It was a magnificent truck. Then the new and bigger Tundra replaced it and things went to heck: A friend bought one and the radiator fell out on That Road because the brackets for it were too weak; the top of the instrument panel rattled because it was too thin; the truck weighed about the same as the old and smaller Tundra despite being a lot bigger......thin sheet metal and plastic instead of steel.

I thought Toyota had decided to make the truck look like a Dodge or Ford instead of a Toyota. So I bought a Ford and I'm very happy with it...doesn't rattle or squeak.

BB
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-14-2016 at 10:34 AM

Rust, what's that? The only salted roads I drive is the dry lake beds and salt flats of Baja. My 3rd Tacoma, over 300,000 miles combined, no problems with rust or rattles. There are many Nomad Toyota truck drivers, maybe someone will have an issue with theirs?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 11-14-2016 at 01:00 PM

Do you guys wash your undercarriage when you get back from driving on the beach?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-14-2016 at 01:02 PM

No. let the rain take care of it-if it ever rains.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2016 at 03:17 PM

I had a cracked frame on my last Tacoma. I'm sure it was related to this problem. But that truck is long gone. So far so good on my new Tacoma.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2016 at 07:18 PM

The last time I drove the salt flats from San Ignacio to San Juanico in my GMC the under carriage had a light coating of rust a few days later. I've driven it in my Tacoma but I don't see any rust that means anything, not like the GMC. The rust on the GMC is so minor it is of no concern.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 11-14-2016 at 09:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Do you guys wash your undercarriage when you get back from driving on the beach?

I thoroughly clean the undercarriage of my Jeep. No rust, no thank you.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-14-2016 at 11:06 PM

When I worked at Cape Hatteras Natl. Seashore we often were driving on the beaches (never in the ocean water) in our Govt. vehicles. It was mandatory that we hose off the under carriage of our vehicles each and every time we came off the beach. Even so, our vehicles lasted a max. of 5 years before they rusted out. Salt is a killer!!!
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2016 at 02:36 PM

I have fought salt to a standstill pretty much. I have a 24' steam boat and almost all of my launching is into salt water.

I have boxed in the ends of the square tubing and coated the insides of those members with oil. I keep heavy paint on the rest of it. I have pre-installed hoses to the brake backing plates so I can easily flush them. Wash the whole thing down after every launch.

And I still have to be on top of things to keep corrosion under control. Horrible stuff.
BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2016 at 03:26 PM

At one of my old duty stations we had a 76 Cherokee Chief we would drive on beach patrol each morning/evening. That POS didn't last a year and a half before it rusted the tailgate off, Fenders and the body mounts on the frame with 9000 on it.
GSA wouldn't give us a new one unless the motor or trans went out, :light: So we drained the oil and took it for one last beach patrol.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2016 at 04:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BeemerDan  
At one of my old duty stations we had a 76 Cherokee Chief we would drive on beach patrol each morning/evening. That POS didn't last a year and a half before it rusted the tailgate off, Fenders and the body mounts on the frame with 9000 on it.
GSA wouldn't give us a new one unless the motor or trans went out, :light: So we drained the oil and took it for one last beach patrol.

No wonder gov't spending is out of control. waste by the employees. bet you complain about your taxes too. You should have been fired. (Trumpism)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-16-2016 at 04:53 PM

My first new car was a 75.5 Cherokee Chief, didn't own it long enough for rust from beach driving. It was far too unreliable to take to Baja too much. Sold the Jeep and bought my first 4WD Subaru.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2016 at 08:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

No wonder gov't spending is out of control. waste by the employees. bet you complain about your taxes too. You should have been fired. (Trumpism)

My bad I didn't mention this was 40 yrs ago and a Coast Guard vehicle used for rescues also. I guess its a good thing AMC/Jeep didn't our make boats. :lol: BTW your rant doesn't hold water either.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-16-2016 at 09:02 PM

My bad I didn't mention this was 40 yrs ago and a Coast Guard vehicle used for rescues also. I guess its a good thing AMC/Jeep didn't our make boats. :lol: BTW your rant doesn't hold water either.

I suggest you Forward link to this thread to the CG inspector general's tip line,
Let the IG determine the proper course to crimes confessed to on the internet.
BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2016 at 09:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I suggest you Forward link to this thread to the CG inspector general's tip line,

Have at it. I'm pretty sure Gillette disposed of the evidence by now.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-16-2016 at 10:59 PM

:lol:
Don't need any physical evidence when they got a confession.

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Have at it. I'm pretty sure Gillette disposed of the evidence by now.
BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2016 at 12:13 AM

Damn I knew when I murdered that jeep it would come back and bite me in the ass.
Would you feel better Goat if I told you I recycled the oil back into the crankcase after I did the dirty deed?

Here's another confession, I was a 44' motor lifeboat Coxwain way back when. One day the port engine went nuclear (runaway diesel) and blew up before I could hit the shutdown stops.
Both engines had about 20.000 hours on them close to the lifespan, The district in their infinite wisdom only wanted the port engine replaced. I argued that SAR season was approaching and we couldn't afford to have a boat in "Charlie Status", So I doubled up the lines, Fired up the starboard engine shoved her in gear, throttled to the stops, and went to the messdeck for coffee, Had chow then a nap.
9 hours later the stbd engine coughed, sputtered and died.
Last I heard that old boat ran well into the 90's before Gillette took command.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.