Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Wind tower Hwy 3
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 10:52 AM
Wind tower Hwy 3

South of hwy 3 near the north end of L Diablo is the site for the new wind turbines. Photo from the web, have not been there yet.

wind tower.jpg - 70kB
Bajazly
Super Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 11:40 AM

I've seen that project a few times and wondered what they were doing there. Gonna put some eyesores up in the desert.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 03:06 PM

In Upper California, these giant 'food processors' chop up plenty of birds.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 03:33 PM

Not to mention the noise gives the birds cancer anyway.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 05:55 PM

They make annoying noise. One guy packed with mucho money and not so much knowledge, built that next to his seasonal site on the camp. It worked.... on some days. 75% of time had to run a generator, thanks God the one in his Class A motorhome wasn't too loud. Next season he approached me, asking whether my 500W solar on the trailer needs a "diverter" to divert the extra power when there is too much sun :)... Then he installed a solar on palapa over the trailer, like everybody else.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 06:43 PM

Are the power companies being subsidized to trash the desert, or is it being done profitably on their nickel?

Those towers don't cast much of a shadow, why can't the hundreds of acres of solar panels share the same sites (and grid) instead of ruining even more raw land?

[Edited on 9-9-2019 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
apple
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 06:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

The polar ice caps are melting, somebody's gotta make some sacrifices
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 09:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Those towers don't cast much of a shadow, why can't the hundreds of acres of solar panels share the same sites (and grid) instead of ruining even more raw land?

Shush :).... Trying to change the incorrigible Mexican spirit is an exercise in futility... Give it some time, maybe somebody will bootstrap a solar array to the tower... Gringos are planning, Mexicans are improvising...
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 05:53 AM

Let's add some facts, just for fun!

Yes, about 300,000 birds killed per year across the USA from all windfarms.

6 BILLION die from collisions with cell and radio towers annually!

Outdoor cats kill over 3 BILLION birds a year in the USA.

Plus, I harvest my share of doves every September! 20 million doves are harvested annually in the USA, with plenty left to repopulate. Add 30 million ducks harvested annually as well.

Windfarms are pretty far down the list for bird mortality.

John

[Edited on 9-9-2019 by John Harper]
ZipLine
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 12:23 PM

The towers aren't chopping up doves, they're chopping up raptors while they're are cruising the thermals. Eagles, hawks, osprey, vultures.

Outdoor cats are killing sparrows.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 02:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

Let's add some facts, just for fun!

Yes, about 300,000 birds killed per year across the USA from all windfarms.

6 BILLION die from collisions with cell and radio towers annually!

Outdoor cats kill over 3 BILLION birds a year in the USA.

Plus, I harvest my share of doves every September! 20 million doves are harvested annually in the USA, with plenty left to repopulate. Add 30 million ducks harvested annually as well.

Windfarms are pretty far down the list for bird mortality.

John

Got a stat source on that?
I would wonder what the percentage charts show at those different man-made devices.

I would suspect there are a greater number of cell/radio towers in those stats as well as cats as compared to the number of wind generators.

The truth lies in the per-source broken down from the whole.

I took a seagull out with a fishhook one time...

[Edited on 9-9-2019 by paranewbi]
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 03:11 PM

[Edited on 9-9-2019 by BajaMama]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 03:17 PM

I've smacked a couple of birds with my truck, a big buzzard eating road kill that took off too late, I slowed down but he must have had a mouthful, his buddies escaped, and a smaller guy just flying by.

The buzzard actually dented the front of the cab-over part of my camper. The small guy splatted like a bug on the windshield, a BIG bug, what a mess.

Anyway, glad to see the wind generators. Clean energy!

[Edited on 9-9-2019 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 04:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  

Sure, use Google, it's easy. Lots of stats come up. Most of them are within my listings. If you want to break it down by species, be my guest.

You can do it!!!

P.S. There are at least 45 less doves in Arizona than before September 1.

John

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 05:05 PM

FACT:
70% of all NEW energy production world wide is being done with renewable energy sources.

Capitalism is becoming more dynamic, deal with it

Es Todo Bueno
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 05:12 PM

OMG, it's worse than that:

9/11 Memorial lights a hazard to 160K birds!!!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/09/nyregion/911-tribute-bird...

Where is Alfred Hitchc-ck when we need him???

John

[Edited on 9-10-2019 by John Harper]
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 06:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  

Sure, use Google, it's easy. Lots of stats come up. Most of them are within my listings. If you want to break it down by species, be my guest.

You can do it!!!

P.S. There are at least 45 less doves in Arizona than before September 1.

John

Took you up on that John...although I don't use Google mania...I was trained as a paralegal to use a different method most wouldn't understand... I differ with you on your conclusion as I found that most of those who support your stats are trade members with questionable interests.

Smithsonian as well as many others show a different count that shows otherwise. And when broken down into a context of per unit deaths the radio tower and such deaths are high due to the overwhelming number of such structures above and beyond the relatively few wind generators.

It is also the TYPE of bird that is being reduced by wind generators that is pertinent to the stats and cause. Unless you put all birds into the category of worthy of your view through a gun sight.

[Edited on 9-10-2019 by paranewbi]
JZ
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 10:05 PM

OMG, it's worse than that:

9/11 Memorial lights a hazard to 160K birds!!!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/09/nyregion/911-tribute-bird...

Where is Alfred Hitchc-ck when we need him???

John

[Edited on 9-10-2019 by John Harper]

From that article:

"Collisions with buildings, especially ones with transparent or reflective windows, kill 600 million birds a year across the country, and as many as 230,000 in New York City, according to N.Y.C."

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 10:56 PM

A little fact check; There are 94 million cats in US households. If cats kill 3 billion birds a year that means each cat kills 34 birds a year, on average. I am not buying it. Since a lot of cats are indoor cats and never kill any birds that would mean many cats are killing about one bird a week. I had a cat that was quite the huntress, and while she might have got a lizard or a gopher now and then I guarantee she was not killing a bird a week; the birds around here are too smart for that.
That is the problem with statistics. People do not stop to do the math. I saw a "science journalist" on PBS say with a straight face that it takes 2,000 gallons of water to grow a kilogram of cotton, so people should not buy jeans. That is absurd. It takes about 20 gallons of water to grow a kilogram of cotton.
I hope those ugly bird killing wind turbines all seize up and get sold for scrap. And yes, they are subsidized by federal and state money, in the interest of "saving the planet".
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2019 at 03:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
A little fact check; There are 94 million cats in US households. If cats kill 3 billion birds a year that means each cat kills 34 birds a year, on average. I am not buying it. Since a lot of cats are indoor cats and never kill any birds that would mean many cats are killing about one bird a week. I had a cat that was quite the huntress, and while she might have got a lizard or a gopher now and then I guarantee she was not killing a bird a week; the birds around here are too smart for that.
That is the problem with statistics. People do not stop to do the math. I saw a "science journalist" on PBS say with a straight face that it takes 2,000 gallons of water to grow a kilogram of cotton, so people should not buy jeans. That is absurd. It takes about 20 gallons of water to grow a kilogram of cotton.
I hope those ugly bird killing wind turbines all seize up and get sold for scrap. And yes, they are subsidized by federal and state money, in the interest of "saving the planet".

The other morning my dog chased a mouse up our hallway into the living room. The mouse ran over the paws of my cat who was lying on the floor watching the whole thing. The dog got distracted at a quick turn and the mouse ran into the kitchen and under the stove which is where I last saw it and now can't find it.

Just to keep this post in the spirit of this website I named the mouse Baja because it is so elusive to me these days.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.